Help breaking geocach code

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by edteach, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. edteach

edteach Member

Monday
    Hello new to the forum. I am just getting into geocaching and have run in to a cypher I can not break. Any help appreciated. Its a type of substitute cypher I believe. There are two pictures one of the cypher and one called my new hat which could be come key or maybe not. Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    Two triangles, one above the other, is likely 'E' , worth a try, anyway.

There's some repetition of 'words' there, could they be numbers, like a grid reference, or latitude/longitude angle of a location,
    as in: EIGHT ONE TWO ONE etc etc ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM
  3. Cale S

Cale S Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Iowa, USA
    WCA:
    2014SCHO02
    YouTube:
    mathtornado7
    For the encrypted message + image:

The hat belongs to the Gravity Falls character Dipper Pines, which matches the signature at the bottom of the message, giving you some of the letters

4. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    Good work Cale, it makes a lot of sense now. (And my 'E' hunch was wrong, I won't spoil the fun for Mr Geocache)

Interesting Trivia: There's a geocache in my town's library, it's a dummy book, with an 'odd' title, that contains the usual bits and pieces. I recall the clues that lead you to it relate to the 'Standard' indexing number system that libraries use to categorise topics.