• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Finding algorithms to solve mechanical puzzles in general?

skan

I was wondering how people find the algorithms to solve mechanical puzzles such as Rubik, Megaminx, Gear Cube...

How do they find it?
Are they specially intelligent?
Just by a brute force process?
With complex mathematics?
With computers?
A mix of all those methods?

I guess they try simple movements and annotate how every piece changed.
Later they try to compose several of these movements and try to see if it can be reduced in some way to get the same result.
And then they try to find useful combinations maybe with the help of a computer.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First you try to reduce it to something that is easier to understand or close to something you know. Then you basically try to solve as much as you can. Then it's trial and error to figure out how you can solve small amounts of pieces without messing others up, many times in the form of commutators.

There may be other techniques, but this is enough to figure a puzzle out.

Or you can just use a computer.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Computer programs like ksolve can be used to generate algorithms for basically any puzzle, even ones that don't exist. But a lot of permutation puzzles can be solved with knowledge of other puzzles and constructing commutators and conjugates.

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
I recommend searching for Tony Fisher's videos on how he figured out solving the 3x3 and 4x4. They're very informative and interesting. And a little mind-blowing... :)