• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fantasy Cubing 2017!

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They don't have to be, it's just beneficial to choose people who are. Many people might be choosing in advance in case they don't feel like updating their lists every week with people actually competing.

Unless something changed from the beta, you can't have a default team. You just have to go make a new list of competitors each week.

Ahh I can't make a WCA profile. My birthdate doesn't line up

You can create a WCA account without WCA ID, and you just need an account to sign in with Fantasy Cubing, I believe.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
fb group if everyone wants to join for discussion and stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FantasyCubing2017/

I'm worried that the majority have misunderstood the system. You choose 10 cubers for the first week who will compete in that week and then they score points. Then the next week you choose another 10 cubers to score for the second week. You are supposed to choose 10 cubers every week.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guess I'll post this here too,

Fantasy Cubing 2017, Top Picks for Week 1

Top Picks for 3x3x3:
1. Philipp Weyer. Coming in with a projection of 80.74, Competing in 3 rounds while averaging 7.59, this competitor made it to the top. His second highest projection was OH with 78.18. Having the Highest project out of everyone competing this week, he is a must pick!
2. Kevin Gerhardt. With a projection of 76.98, competing in 3 rounds and recently averaging 8.12. Kevin is near the top of the list. He does out-project himself in Megaminx with 81.73, however there were better roles for the side events this week.
3. Lucas Etter. Former WR Holder, Lucas, projects at 75.86 this week. He will have 3 attempts at an average. He could hold a spot in 3x3 over Kevin and be just fine.
4. Cornelius Dieckmann. With 74.71 projection, Cornelius is up there, but notably lower than the other 3.

Traps for 3x3:
1. Sebastien Weyer. Sebastien, although great on a psych sheet, has not put up the same numbers as Philipp, but that’s not why you shouldn’t pick him. He has a 78.65 projection coming in the 3rd highest. Picking Sebastien would lead in missing out in 10 more points that he’s projected in 5x5.
2. Mats Valk. Same reasons as Sebastien. Mats is projected 8 more points in 5x5 from his 80.43 in 3x3.
3. Antoine Cantin. OH.
4. Drew Brads. With a 74.45 projection in 3x3 and a 74.67 project in Pyraminx, Drew does not lose a lot of ground skipping out in Pyraminx. However, he is organizing Saturday’s competition which could hinder his performance.

Top Picks For Main Events:
1. Sebastien Weyer 5x5x5 Cube. With a 88.32 projection (trumping his 86.86 projection in 4x4) and competing in 3 round of 5x5, Sebastien becomes a great choice for this category.4x4 is not a bad option either.
2. Mats Valk 5x5x5 Cube. With a projection of 88.68, this is Mats best projection across all 4 events where he’s projected 80+. Although there is only 1 round of 5x5, Mats has put up great numbers in this event recently.
3. Antoine Cantin Rubik’s Cube: One-Handed. Duh. Projected at 77.99. This makes for the 4th highest projected person in the main events.
4. Sreeram Venkatarao Rubik’s Cube: Blindfolded. Projected 75.4 and having the NAR, hopefully luck will be on his side!
5. Drew Brads Pyraminx. Projected 74.67 with 2 rounds, He is a great choice in a tough event. If it weren’t given that he is organizing, I think Drew would be a great choice.
6. Cornelius Dieckmann Rubik’s Cube: One-handed. 74.25 projection while competing in 3 rounds. Not a bad pick
7. Leopard something something Rubik’s Cube: One-Handed: 72.88 projection due to his nationality which is one of the first times that nationality has played a big role in helping someone with a slower time be projected higher.
Traps for Main Events:
1. Kevin Hays 5x5x5 Cube. Really just 1. You lose 20 points of projection following Kevin’s 76.42 points in 5x5.

Top Picks for Side Events:
1. Kevin Hays 7x7x7? With a projection of 95.8 (his 6x6 was 95.21) Kevin is a must for this week (or any that he competes in). The main reason for 7x7 over 6x6 is due to how lengthy 7x7 is compared to 6x6. The percent difference that he averages compared to records is way lower on 7x7 just due to the nature of the event.
2. Brandon Lin Squan. Just getting the WR in Squan helped out Brandon’s current average with enough leverage to get him to project 89.69. He will have 2 average attempts this week.
3. Nicolas Naing Megaminx. With a projection of 89.4, NAR holder Nicolas might just break the NAR once again!
4. Jan Bentlage Rubik’s Cube: Fewest Moves. ?? But isn’t Marcel or Sebastien faster?... Just look at these stats. Projection: 85.59, current single: 24, current mean: 26.44
5. Sébastien Auroux Rubik’s Cube: Fewest Moves. Projection: 84.7, current single: 23.33, current mean: 27.66
6. Marcel Peters Rubik’s Cube: Fewest Moves. Projection: 85.4, current single: 24, current mean: 26.55, However Marcel DNFs… A LOT.
7. Henri Gerber Megaminx. 81.64 is his projection competing in 2 rounds, wouldn’t be a bad choice if we didn’t have top notch people for side events this week!!!

Hope you enjoyed Reading this!!! Any Questions, suggestions, thoughts, things I missed, feel free to comment!

Notes: Projections are based on calculations meant to reflect upon one another, not necessarily the points they will earn (although it may be the same). Events like 4 BLD, 5 BLD, and MBLD were pushed aside due to how low they projected this week. If you’re curious about projects, almost everyone that scored above a 70 is on a list, pm me and I can send that to you.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
I don't understand, isn't the goal to pick someone who will not only (nearly) guarantee 1st place, but also be in a competitive heat? I can't see any reason why Mats wouldn't get 1st place, the highest other person on the psyche sheet has a PB ao5 of 8.60. Philip on the other hand could easily lose 1st place, which would dramatically bring down his points.

When I did calculations, losing 1st place in a competitive heat still makes you have a lot fewer points than being in an noncompetitive heat and still getting 1st.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand, isn't the goal to pick someone who will not only (nearly) guarantee 1st place, but also be in a competitive heat? I can't see any reason why Mats wouldn't get 1st place, the highest other person on the psyche sheet has a PB ao5 of 8.60. Philip on the other hand could easily lose 1st place, which would dramatically bring down his points.

When I did calculations, losing 1st place in a competitive heat still makes you have a lot fewer points than being in an noncompetitive heat and still getting 1st.
He changed it. Facebook group is where this is at tbh.

Edit: the original never had it where if you lose then your points go down by a lot it was all based on percents compared tony he winning time and the median score, but now it's just based on how they do compared to the world, continent, and national.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
He changed it. Facebook group is where this is at tbh.

Edit: the original never had it where if you lose then your points go down by a lot it was all based on percents compared tony he winning time and the median score, but now it's just based on how they do compared to the world, continent, and national.
I wish that info would've been anywhere on the internet besides facebook before first week ended, lol. Oh well.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My week 2 picks:
upload_2017-1-14_1-9-0.png

I've seen some people not pick Arifumi for OH and perhaps forget to consider that Clock could be a good event given the right people/circumstances. I think these clock picks are a slight risk, but not as risky as the Sq-1 picks. This is especially true given the Maryland comp (ft. Brandon Lin and Tommy Szeliga) was almost cancelled.

I've got my week 3 and 4 projections already done. Unfortunately, I lost my data for week 2, but next week I hope to have a post similar to Jacob's.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My week 2 picks:
View attachment 7396

I've seen some people not pick Arifumi for OH and perhaps forget to consider that Clock could be a good event given the right people/circumstances. I think these clock picks are a slight risk, but not as risky as the Sq-1 picks. This is especially true given the Maryland comp (ft. Brandon Lin and Tommy Szeliga) was almost cancelled.

I've got my week 3 and 4 projections already done. Unfortunately, I lost my data for week 2, but next week I hope to have a post similar to Jacob's.
This weeks gonna suck tbh :/