Does the model of cube matter when you are over 1 minute?

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by Cristobal, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:55 PM.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Jan 4, 2016
    London, UK
    I'm going back to cubbing (for fun) after 1.5 year hiatus and have to start all over again (learning and memorizing the beginner's method). It's coming back slowly.

However, I've ordered a new cube (white stickered MF3RS) whilst I'm training with my Thunderclap V1 (all my cheap/budget cubes Guanlong, Sail, Legend, Yulong went to a charity shop not long ago).

Back in the day, my best times were around 1'10-1'05. Not planning on getting better, 1 minute is more than enough for me, I was wondering whether the cube matters for someone who wants to cube in his "1 minute" comfort zone.

2. Sue Doenim

Sue Doenim Member

Nov 9, 2016
    You'll be able to use an MF3RS2 comfortably probably until around a 10-15 second average. You don't have anything to worry about.

CornerCutter and Cristobal like this.
  3. Unless you intend to get fast not really no. On the other hand any of the "budget cubes" will be fine until you get really really fast.

CornerCutter and Cristobal like this.
  4. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Jan 4, 2016
    London, UK
    Cheers. That's what I thought intuitively.

5. Yes, that will work fine. But you will probably want to upgrade once you get Sub-25ish.

6. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Jan 4, 2016
    London, UK
    That's not going to happen anytime soon ...:D

7. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Does the cube matter? Of course it does. Even if you're not speedsolving, a crappy cube that is very hard to turn or that pops with every other move is simply not fun to play with. For 3×3×3, it's almost impossible to find a cube that actually turns poorly these days—even the budget cubes are great—but for some other puzzles, the budget options are really bad (e.g. 4×4×4, allegedly) and it's worth it to spend a bit more money on a better product.

greentgoatgal likes this.