• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] DaYan ZhanChi 3x3x3

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 226 70.2%
  • Above Average

Votes: 76 23.6%
  • Average

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Below Average

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

cookieyo145

WCA
2011JIAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3ZhanchiBlack.jpg

This thread is for reviews of the Dayan Zhanchi 3x3x3. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Type of ZhanChi purchased:
  • Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Last edited by a moderator:

cookieyo145

WCA
2011JIAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] Lubix Elite review

Hi, i just got a youtube a week ago and I am uploading my Elite review right now. I hope you like it and subscribe!

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] My review on the Dayan Lun Hui and Zhan Chi (BAD LANGUAGE)

This is more of a summary of the five Dayans, but I give a little more in depth opinion of the last two. Sit back and enjoy as it builds up to it's climactic ending, hahaha.

WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yah, if you want to reduce the popping you can stick in the torpedoes. It does create a rougher texture, which I dislike. That's why I keep the torpedoes out of the OH cubes I use.

Also, the tensions I put on it reflect my preferences. Maybe you can try tightening it. It looks like you overturn a little. My hands are probably smaller and weaker than yours so tighter would probably benefit you.

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks ya I think all that should. I notice I do turn really hard. My turning style causes lots of popping. I'm used to being rugged with my cube I guess. But ya, this is a first impressions video, I have high hopes for this cube. I originally didn't like the Lingyun cube but it ended up being my main OH. Thanks for the cube!

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where: SpeedCubeShop
When: October 2011
Thoughts on puzzle: I got the white one. It came unlubed and it was really gummy. I lubed it and it was really really fast. It was a little bit bigger than my Haiyan Memory so it took some time getting used to. I like my Haiyan Memory more than the Zhanchi though. The Zhanchi is a faster but it's different that what I was used to at the time. Currently I use both puzzles about the same and if I were to choose which one is my main, I would have to say the Memory but that is because it is more comfortable to me. The Zhanchi is a really nice cube though.

ernie722

WCA
2011PARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Amazon
When the puzzle was purchased: July 22, 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Have the white one. I have to say that the puzzle is excellent and is a very nice speedcube. The corner cutting is very good and same goes for the reverse cutting. Overall I would recommend this to anyone.

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
Voted: Excellent

Where the puzzle was purchased: Puzzle Addictions.

When the puzzle was purchased: Pre-ordered, so got it close to its release date that I don't remember when it was.

Thoughts on the puzzle: It got a nice slight crispy feel, that's pretty much the only thing that makes me choose it over the Guhong; more than enough corner cutting and reverse corner cutting, hard to control at first when you're not used to it, like most Dayan cubes.
The only downside I can think of would be that with anchors it may have violent pops if you're a rough cuber.

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Lightake
When the puzzle was purchased: August 3, 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: I had only used Rubik's brand before, so the feeling was fantastic out of box. After that I lubed it, the cube was even more fantastic! It is fanastic at cornercutting and I love the cube:)

cityzach

WCA
2010GOLD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Icubemart
When the puzzle was purchased: August 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: When I first purchased it, it was fabulous, except for the horrid stickers, which I have replaced with cubesmith half-brights + bright blue. The turning originally was very fast and slightly crispy, but after breaking it in A BUNCH, the feel is completely different. It now has a very smooth, almost silky feel. And of course, it corner cuts/reverse corner cuts amazingly. It never pops (except it popped on me once officially, I still can't find out why). Now, after having it for quite some time, I don't use it as my main anymore. It has slowed down, and it just isn't as fast as it used to be. Oh well.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Voted: Above Average

Where: Got it for Christmas
When: Got it for Christmas
Thoughts on the puzzle: Great cube. Turns smoothly, although it has a slight clicky feel. Only problem was that I am generally a rough solver, and it kept 'exploding' on me, so I just tightened the tensions which I will loosen when I get faster. Recommended cube.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where: Speedcubeshop
When: November/December region.
Thoughts: Great cube. Amazing corner cutting both forward and backwards. Recommended to any cuber looking for speed and corner cutting. Clicky feeling and great with lube. Will not pop unless you have really loose tensions with terrible turning or have removed the torpedos. Great cube over all.

WCA
2010BULA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: PinoyCubeShop
When the puzzle was purchased: November 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Great cube. Great speed & corner cutting. But it explode (yes, not just pop) much. I tried removing the torpedoes, or adjusting the tension, but it still explodes.

mrpotatoman14

Where the puzzle was purchased: Cube Depot
When the puzzle was purchased: December 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Great cube. I voted for excellent as it is my second favorite out of my 15 or so 3x3s. Corner cutting is great, extremely smooth I rarely lock up and pops even without the torpedos are rare.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
  • Where the puzzle was purchased: Daqing Bao kindly donated 40 for free.
  • When the puzzle was purchased: July 2011
  • Thoughts on the puzzle: It's a bit hit or miss out-of-the-box when pre-assembled (good -> above average). Simply adjusting the tension evenly and applying some Lubix makes it feel better. It can turn smoothly and cut corners. However, it can still pop if the tension hasn't been set properly.

I currently prefer the Zhan Chi for two-handed solving. For one-handed solving I prefer the Ling Yun II.

Tim.

skeletonboy

Where the puzzle was purchased: Straight from the Dayan Wholesaler
When the puzzle was purchased: December 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: The Dayan Zhanchi is a boss. It can cut at least 45 degrees and cut a bit to two thirds of a cubie for reverse coner-cut. It is quite crispy, which I like.
A very fast cube, but I can control it easily. It would not pop if you have the torpedos in. It will only explode if you have torpedos and you crank the pieces. Overall the great if not best cube.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where: Lubix (ultimate)
When: A month ago
Thoughts: Perfect. Donovan does a great job. I loosened each side a half turn and it turns perfectly. I don't know about the unmodded version, but mine has only popped once and turns extremely easily and smoothly.

Great idea for a thread, by the way.