• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubingUSA Nationals 2017 - Fort Wayne, Indiana (July 7-9)

xyzzy

Will good recordings of the seminars be uploaded later? There's a recording of Gianfranco's talk, but the audio is almost unintelligible.

ToastyKen

WCA
2012LUKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CubingUSA Nationals 2017 Livestream will be up for 3x3 Finals at approximately 5pm EDT at this link:

(We were unable to stream the rest of the competition due to technical difficulties.)

Last edited:
WCA
2013BARK01
18th place in 2x2.

I would have been in finals except I got a +2 on the 2nd solve.

They also made a typo while entering my first time. If the typo had been my actual time, I would have been 14th (my 2.80 was entered as 2.08) but I caught it

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was so fun to be back!

I want to give special thanks to Brandon and Sydney for convincing me to try again to switch to solving edges first BLD instead of corners, and also special thanks to Mark for helping me understand the method for doing it. I just tried my first 5 attempts with it and got an average of 5 of 2:11.10 [1:45.75, 1:44.43, DNF(1:25.60), 2:07.96, 2:39.58], which is only 20 seconds slower than my normal average, and was dragged down by very slow memo recall for the corners on the last one. This is going to work for me - I've officially switched, finally! Thank you!

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Will good recordings of the seminars be uploaded later? There's a recording of Gianfranco's talk, but the audio is almost unintelligible.

From an English speaker's point of view, I was there at the talk and it was still almost unintelligible. That's not to say anything against Gianfranco -- he just has a very thick accent. Unless the audio was being recorded at the mixing board, you're probably not going to find anything (listenable?) usable.

WCA
2013BARK01
Updated goals:
italics = top 5 goals

3x3:
Sub 9.8 average been there, done that (9.69 average)
Sub 8.5 single also got that, 8.36, and it was kinda funny because that was the last solve in my horribly inconsistent (and just straight up horrible) semifinals average.
Make semifinals got it, 37th place in 2nd round
Top 40 (very unlikely but could happen) I should have been but I flopped horribly in the semifinals, 62nd place lmao
2x2:

Sub 2.6 average (state record, not very likely) Nope, but 2.81 was okay
Make semifinals made the semifinals with a 2.81 average in the 2nd round. I was 18th place in semifinals, and only 0.06 away from making finals.
Pyraminx:

Make second round Stupid scrambles, so yes somewhat easily
Sub 7 average 2 of them lmao
4x4:

Sub 1 average got em, 52.15 average
Sub 53 single well I got 2 sub-50 singles so...
5x5:

Sub 1:50 average yes
Sub 1:40 single yes
6x6:

Sub 3:30 mean (idk whether that's possible because I haven't practiced much) yes
Sub 3:20 single (again, idk if I can get that) yes
7x7:

Sub 6:00 mean yes
Sub 5:45 single yes
Megaminx:

Sub 2:00 average no *creys*
Sub 1:50 single again no, megamnix is bad
Skewb:

Sub 9 average no, 10.03
Sub 8 single not quite, 8.28
OH:

Comp PB average and single easily, 23.64/20.45

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was so fun to be back!

I want to give special thanks to Brandon and Sydney for convincing me to try again to switch to solving edges first BLD instead of corners, and also special thanks to Mark for helping me understand the method for doing it. I just tried my first 5 attempts with it and got an average of 5 of 2:11.10 [1:45.75, 1:44.43, DNF(1:25.60), 2:07.96, 2:39.58], which is only 20 seconds slower than my normal average, and was dragged down by very slow memo recall for the corners on the last one. This is going to work for me - I've officially switched, finally! Thank you!

Really bummed that I missed my chance to see you again -- glad to hear you had a great time!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to give special thanks to Brandon and Sydney for convincing me to try again to switch to solving edges first BLD instead of corners, and also special thanks to Mark for helping me understand the method for doing it.
Just curious, but what was the case they made for solving edges first?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just curious, but what was the case they made for solving edges first?
There are certainly a few who disagree, but most agree that it's best to memorize edges last and solve them first because then you can put a larger amount of the cube in audio memory, which can greatly speed things up. I knew a bunch of people who made this switch a few years ago, and I tried to as well, but I had great trouble with it and gave up. But this time it's going much better!

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
From an English speaker's point of view, I was there at the talk and it was still almost unintelligible. That's not to say anything against Gianfranco -- he just has a very thick accent. Unless the audio was being recorded at the mixing board, you're probably not going to find anything (listenable?) usable.

All the seminars were had to watch on the video. The echo makes it harder to understand.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Time to see how I did!

Cubing goals:
2x2: Get a really good single so people will think I'm cool. Daaaang, it happened! 1.44 single with a stupid scramble.
3x3: Get a sub-10 average with sheer luck, make semis. Nope.
4x4: Sub-45 average, sub-40 single. Lol, I missed 4x4 because I forgot it was happening.
5x5: Sub-1:35 average, sub-1:25 single. No, but kinda close with the average.
6x6: Sub-3:10 mean, sub-3:00 single. Got the single but not the mean.
7x7: Sub-5:00 mean, sub-4:50 single. Not even close.
Pyraminx: Sub-2.95 average, sub-2 single, podium in finals. Ooooh very close. 2.98 average and 2.02 single, and 8th in finals because of shaky/numb hands. :(
Megaminx: Sub-1:10 average, sub-1:00 single. Got the average, not the single.
Skewb: Get a good single for once, beat Daniel Karnaukh. Both of these!
Square-1: Hope for lucky scrambles. I hoped, but I didn't exactly get them. :p
Clock: Sub-16 average, sub-14 single. Both of these (by a long shot)!
OH: Solve the Rubik's Cube with one hand. Did it!
3BLD: Any mean whatsoever. No... :( Messed up the last solve.
FMC: Some decent single, PB mean. Nope.

Non-cubing goals:
Complete all summer homework on the plane ride. About half of it.
Get there on time. Did it!
Hang out with friends a lot. Yes sir.
Ride the elevator frequently. You bet!

Overall, I'm really happy with how Nats went. I'm still kind of annoyed about my results in Pyra finals, but there's always next year. :)