• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubicle Labs Premium Cubes

.Ollie.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if it's magnetized properly every kind of piece can only touch one other kind of piece on any given side, so party or scramble make no difference at all.
Thanks!

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if it's magnetized properly every kind of piece can only touch one other kind of piece on any given side, so party or scramble make no difference at all.
Do you think if you magnetized it to be affected by parity you could detect parity in inspection? Just by seeing how much resistance there is without making full turns.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Do you think if you magnetized it to be affected by parity you could detect parity in inspection? Just by seeing how much resistance there is without making full turns.
I'm pretty sure that parity doesn't technically exist until the edges are complete, and it can't be predicted until at least the centers are complete.
Or at least I don't see how it could exist before that.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure that parity doesn't technically exist until the edges are complete, and it can't be predicted until at least the centers are complete.
Or at least I don't see how it could exist before that.

parity is just whether the edges can be solved with an odd or even number of 2-swaps, and having parity means you will get OLL parity (everything after 2 adjacent centers involves slicing and slicing back, which doesn't affect parity)

this is how I can avoid OLL parity in my solves

Parity is dependent on cycles of pieces, I don't think a 24-cycle would feel any different from a 22-cycle + 2-cycle

Sion

Was I the only one thinking they should make a qiyi sail M? The sail is virtually a budget aolong (in terms of feeling) and wouldn't be able to buy a full price magnetized cube.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Was I the only one thinking they should make a QiYi Sail M? The Sail is virtually a budget Aolong (in terms of feeling) and wouldn't be able to buy a full price magnetized cube.
A cube can't buy a cube anyway.

On a serious note, though, the price of the magnetized cubes has nothing to do with the cubes they mod, and everything to do with the mod itself. But, let's say they cut the price anyway, say $10 -If $50 is too expensive, is $40 really that much cheaper?

Reactions: Dom

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone!

So I wanted to update you on the progress of DNM-37!

So, after taking the opinions of people from more competitions than I can keep track of, I made a formulation that made a first batch last week!

HOWEVER, after taking in some opinions from testers, the bosses and I decided that we're going to change the formulation again, to ensure it holds true to our goals for this new lubricant.

We aren't trying to replace Silk, Speedy, or the Weight 1-5 lubricants.

DNM-37 is specifically tailored to replace Maru, Z-Lube, and other water-based lubricants.
If you like the feeling of Maru or Z-Lube, then DNM-37 is the lubricant for you!

We've been getting a few questions about the release date, and we hope to get this new batch out as soon as possible for you. :)

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Hey everyone!

So I wanted to update you on the progress of DNM-37!

So, after taking the opinions of people from more competitions than I can keep track of, I made a formulation that made a first batch last week!

HOWEVER, after taking in some opinions from testers, the bosses and I decided that we're going to change the formulation again, to ensure it holds true to our goals for this new lubricant.

We aren't trying to replace Silk, Speedy, or the Weight 1-5 lubricants.

DNM-37 is specifically tailored to replace Maru, Z-Lube, and other water-based lubricants.
If you like the feeling of Maru or Z-Lube, then DNM-37 is the lubricant for you!

We've been getting a few questions about the release date, and we hope to get this new batch out as soon as possible for you. :)
What would be the advantage of DNM-37 over Maru?
I remember Kevin Hays talking about the lubricants he uses in a recent video where he showed some prototype "blue lube" that he said was basically like Maru except it was slightly slower and lasted much longer. I could see something like that catching on.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What would be the advantage of DNM-37 over Maru?
I remember Kevin Hays talking about the lubricants he uses in a recent video where he showed some prototype "blue lube" that he said was basically like Maru except it was slightly slower and lasted much longer. I could see something like that catching on.

That's actually it!
That's the advantage. Slightly higher viscosity, last much longer due to hygroscopicity, and slight shear thinning.

defhacks

WCA
2016COUL01
As someone who's excited about DNM-37 more just to experiment with shear thinning handfeel than actually wanting a faster, cube, I'm curious if I missed anything similar talking about the badass rockstar tech behind what makes Silk cooler than just a low viscosity siloxane ?

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Two questions- the Valk M is showing as back-shipping after 25th December... what's the approximate wait on them at the moment?

Second question, inspired by the lube discussion above, what's the difference between Speedy and Silk? Are they just different weights, or is there a more fundamental difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two questions- the Valk M is showing as back-shipping after 25th December... what's the approximate wait on them at the moment?

Second question, inspired by the lube discussion above, what's the difference between Speedy and Silk? Are they just different weights, or is there a more fundamental difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can actually answer this.

Silk isnt just a normal lubricant, which just has a lubricant.
Silk also contains a polymer which can still polymerize over time, and gives a slightly stickier hand feel, while still having low friction.

Sion

i'm curious if maybe you could work on a magnetic anti-pop system over the use of torpedoes in cubes. now that, would be interesting to see!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I'm curious if maybe you could work on a magnetic anti-pop system over the use of torpedoes in cubes. now that, would be interesting to see!
I don't really see how that would work.
Anti-popping mechanisms are hard mechanical barriers that prevent the pieces from moving in certain ways, like how torpedoes stop the edge from moving outward without the corners. Magnets can't provide a definite barrier like that.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
i'm curious if maybe you could work on a magnetic anti-pop system over the use of torpedoes in cubes. now that, would be interesting to see!

I suspect it wouldn't be much good for 3x3, but I've wondered about something like this for big cubes. The big advantage of magnetic 3x3's is that you can safely run them on looser tensions. If you did that on bigger cubes it would still probably be better than without magnets, but you would still run the risk of center pieces popping. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might help to inset magnets in the feet of the center pieces and use a ferrous core.

WCA
2014BLOC01
I suspect it wouldn't be much good for 3x3, but I've wondered about something like this for big cubes. The big advantage of magnetic 3x3's is that you can safely run them on looser tensions. If you did that on bigger cubes it would still probably be better than without magnets, but you would still run the risk of center pieces popping. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might help to inset magnets in the feet of the center pieces and use a ferrous core.

My magnetic big cubes are on looser tensions than they were before, and if anything, I actually see less popping than I used to.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
My magnetic big cubes are on looser tensions than they were before, and if anything, I actually see less popping than I used to.

My guess is that's because you have less alignment issues. My thought was that while you could get away with looser tensions with magnetized edges, you might be able to go even looser if you wanted if there was a better way to hold center pieces in.