• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Crystal here, hello all!

WCA
2017BATT02
I'm a teenager in the Metro-Washington area. I've been cubing for exactly a year next weekend, and did my first competition today (last place, unfortunately :p )! I own Rubik's brand 3x3 and 2x2, but I'm currently in the market for my first speedcube.

My other hobbies include singing (8 years), dance (10 years), guitar (4 years) and programming (4 years). I code in HTML, CSS/Sass, JS/JQuery, JSTL, Java, PHP, and Python. I love to talk cubes and code, so definitely reach out if you like those things too!

Quick question: How often do those of you who compete perform worse at competition than usual and how much slower?

Thanks!
~Crystalline

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How often do those of you who compete perform worse at competition than usual and how much slower?
Tbh, some days I am two seconds slower and some times a bit faster. I avg 15-17 on keybord and got a 16.95 avg in comp. I also got a 13.5 single, but single is just luck based. For things like skewb, I was 10 seconds slower because I forgot most of the algs. I would say I am a bit slower because I use keyboard and not stackmat.

WCA
2017BATT02
Tbh, some days I am two seconds slower and some times a bit faster. I avg 15-17 on keybord and got a 16.95 avg in comp. I also got a 13.5 single, but single is just luck based. For things like skewb, I was 10 seconds slower because I forgot most of the algs. I would say I am a bit slower because I use keyboard and not stackmat.
Thanks for the answer! I ended up about 15-45 seconds slower than usual on my solves. Met a lot of people who weren't quite satisfied with their performance either. Pressure, maybe? lol

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, once you go to a few more comps you will know the whole thing a bit better. The scrambles could have also been crappy. My first solve in comp was a DNF because I didn't hold down long enough.
Thanks for the answer! I ended up about 15-45 seconds slower than usual on my solves. Met a lot of people who weren't quite satisfied with their performance either. Pressure, maybe? lol

WCA
2017BATT02
Yeah, once you go to a few more comps you will know the whole thing a bit better. The scrambles could have also been crappy. My first solve in comp was a DNF because I didn't hold down long enough.
I very deliberately made absolutely sure that the green light was on. Yep maybe I held it for like 2 secs but it worked so... and I start at 8 cause the idea of a +2 terrifies me (and my cross look-ahead is rubbish so there's really no point).

WCA
2017BATT02
Welcome! You will learn lots of info on here!

That is great you still when to the comp even though you are slower.:) Some people are afraid to go until they are faster.
My cubing friend was scared to go but I'm definitely going to drag her to the next one I go to, I had an amazing time and solving was only 8 minutes of it. :)

WCA
2017BATT02
Yeah! One of my favorite parts is talking with other cubers!
Running and judging was pretty cool too. Mostly it was people a lot older (like college students) and a lot younger (like 5-10 year olds) at my comp and I'm realizing now that I'm a little too old to be making friends with the little kids. XD But definitely getting some tips from a sub-15er and seeing a 6.12 were high points.

JallaL

I'm a teenager in the Metro-Washington area. I've been cubing for exactly a year next weekend, and did my first competition today (last place, unfortunately :p )! I own Rubik's brand 3x3 and 2x2, but I'm currently in the market for my first speedcube.

My other hobbies include singing (8 years), dance (10 years), guitar (4 years) and programming (4 years). I code in HTML, CSS/Sass, JS/JQuery, JSTL, Java, PHP, and Python. I love to talk cubes and code, so definitely reach out if you like those things too!

Quick question: How often do those of you who compete perform worse at competition than usual and how much slower?

Thanks!
~Crystalline

Welcome!Its nice to meet you.