• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Core swaps?

Poketube6681

WCA
2017FRAS01
So I've had this idea stuck in my head for a while that maybe we can swap cores in cubes. For example, someone would go and buy the hardware for, let's just say a YueXiao, and swaps the core into something like an AoLong V1 or V2. Or even better, takes a Gans V4 core and puts it into a GTS. Would it be possible? Obviously the center would have to be modified or maybe even swapped with the core, but could it improve already amazing cubes? Or is the core such an insignificant part of the hardware that it wouldn't make a difference?

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
I think cores used to be a bigger deal back when most speedcubes were DIY kits and there were much fewer cubes to choose from. So people would experiment with swapping and interchanging all the parts and come up with hybrid combos of stuff.

Cores are so similar across puzzles these days that it barely seems worth the effort. In the time I spent experimenting with a couple different core types, setting tensions and all that, I could have glued magnets into my puzzle for a much more noticeable improvement.