• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Bug report: I am placed 0 in every event when looking in my solve history for the last week I participated^^
I'm showing up as place 0 for all events I competed in for competition 2018-19 as well.
I do not think that it is a bug because that is what happens every week until @MatsBergsten or someone else finishes entering everything from that week. It tends to be fixed around the time of the new results being posted, so the 2018-19 should be updated later this evening/tonight, when the 2018-20 results are posted.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bug report: I am placed 0 in every event when looking in my solve history for the last week I participated^^
That should be fixed now. There are some things that need to be precalculated, and when Mats enters the results from the thread here, there is an extra routine that must be run to correct those ranks. It appears that had not been run yet for last week. I just ran it again and now it's fine.

I'll talk it over with Mats and we'll try to figure out why it didn't get run properly last week. Until we figure it out, it might happen again this week, but hopefully we'll eventually get it properly straightened out.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was trying to reproduce the problem with inputting times, but was having no luck; I was using Firefox. But I just tried it with Chrome and got the same problem described here. I notice Chrome just recently got updated - I wonder if the new update exposed a bug that wasn't visible before. I will try to fix it tonight - very sorry for the problems.

xyzzy

Mentioned this in the 2018-18 thread: the FMC move counter isn't correctly counting lowercase wide moves.

This is yghklvn's solution for this week (2018-20): z y R u r' U R' E' R' U2 R2 U M2 U' r U' R' y L' U2 L U2 L F' L' F d M U2 M' U M' U2 M2 U M U' R2
It's 42 moves, but the site counts it as only 38 because it ignores the four wide moves. (It really mostly only affects this guy's solutions, but occasionally there are also weird CFOP-y solutions that have wide moves in them and aaaaargh, do you even know how to do FMC?????)

While we're on the topic of FMC, it'd be nice if the results normalise the Unicode quotation marks into ASCII apostrophes (see e.g. obelisk477's solution for this week).

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I like the new color scheme! Thanks!

It would still be great to figure out how to put a fine line between scrambles on the manual entry page, especially for longer scrambles like 7x7 and megaminx.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the new color scheme! Thanks!

It would still be great to figure out how to put a fine line between scrambles on the manual entry page, especially for longer scrambles like 7x7 and megaminx.
Thank you. I was struggling a bit with the scrambles this weekend trying to do something like that, but I couldn't get it to work in time for my release on Monday. I was trying to get it to do the white and grey stripes for background, actually - I was hoping that might work better than lines.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was trying to reproduce the problem with inputting times, but was having no luck; I was using Firefox. But I just tried it with Chrome and got the same problem described here. I notice Chrome just recently got updated - I wonder if the new update exposed a bug that wasn't visible before. I will try to fix it tonight - very sorry for the problems.
Thank you again for fixing the problems! It makes it much easier to enter times.:)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you again for fixing the problems! It makes it much easier to enter times.:)
I'm glad it helped! I had introduced a bug with changes I had made right before that; it had nothing to do with the Chrome update.

I should perhaps go ahead and mention here the changes I made on Monday. I made the following changes then:
1. Changed the color scheme to match the rest of Speedsolving.com.
2. Some significant work on the Manual Entry page - the events show progress there now much like they do on the Weekly View page, there is a checkbox now to collapse events that you have already completed, and there is an option in Settings to make the Manual Entry page your default instead of the Weekly View, if you prefer that.
3. Added a Profile page. Now, when you are logged in, you are able to change your first and last names, your email address, and/or your password. Note that it is not active unless you first reenter your password on that page - once you enter your password, the other fields become active. There is also a checkbox there that will cause the site to display only your username, so that your first and last names are only visible to you while you are competing.

I still have a long list of other changes to make; I work on them whenever I have some free time to do them. As always, please let me know if you discover problems.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Somehow my 5/10 in Multi doesn't get displayed in my compete area as green and it seems that I don't get any points from it.
Sorry for the bug - thanks very much for reporting this! I was able to duplicate the problem and I will attempt to fix it tonight. In the meantime, it appears that your data is safe and everything else appears to be working properly, so hopefully when I fix the problem, everything should be working correctly in the future.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I posted this in this week's competition, but I thought I should mention it here as well:

We are starting to test out code that Mats wrote to test FMC results. I have added some code to check for weird characters when submitting, which may require you to change your solution to match WCA rules before submitting.

But I am also running by hand the new testing code Mats wrote, and verifying each incorrect solution by hand to make sure our code is working correctly. In the process, I changed 5 of the results for this week (so far) to DNFs. I copied the original solution to the comment field, so you can see what happened. I feel especially sorry for abunickabhi, whose solution was correct except for a missing F2 at the end. :-( But I decided I should DNF them all.

When this code is finished, the code will automatically check for DNFs, and if your solution is a DNF, it will automatically copy the original result to the comment field, much like I have done by hand this week. I will implement that once I am fully convinced the automatic checker is working well, which might be a few weeks from now. But for now, I will continue to periodically check submitted results by hand to make sure our code is working correctly.

Please let us know if you see any problems. Thank you for having patience during our "growing pains". :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
An update on the FMC checker:

I have "manually" run the "automatic" checker on weeks 22 through 25 of this year (plus those that have been submitted so far for week 26), and have made corrections to those that were invalid. So a number of you have DNFs now that you did not have before for those weeks. I will probably go through a number of additional weeks manually before starting to run the checker automatically, so as to have greater confidence that it is working correctly. For most of the solutions I invalidated, I was able to discover the mistake and I explained that mistake in the comment. (I hope you understand that I will not be able to continue to do that for all past solutions - that would be ridiculous! But I do hope to do them for a while, as I try to make sure the code is working correctly.)

For all current and future submissions, we're going to require proper WCA notation to be followed. But for previous submissions, it seems to me that would be unnecessarily harsh. So, I'm hoping to correct submissions that are valid except for invalid notation, to make them have valid notation. I'll copy the invalid notation into the comment so the original version can be seen. I intend to try to support any invalid notation that I can understand and that can therefore be translated to a valid notation solution. Please, if you see me invalidate any solution that you think is actually correct, please let me know and I will look at it again.

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
An update on the FMC checker:

I have "manually" run the "automatic" checker on weeks 22 through 25 of this year (plus those that have been submitted so far for week 26), and have made corrections to those that were invalid. So a number of you have DNFs now that you did not have before for those weeks. I will probably go through a number of additional weeks manually before starting to run the checker automatically, so as to have greater confidence that it is working correctly. For most of the solutions I invalidated, I was able to discover the mistake and I explained that mistake in the comment. (I hope you understand that I will not be able to continue to do that for all past solutions - that would be ridiculous! But I do hope to do them for a while, as I try to make sure the code is working correctly.)

For all current and future submissions, we're going to require proper WCA notation to be followed. But for previous submissions, it seems to me that would be unnecessarily harsh. So, I'm hoping to correct submissions that are valid except for invalid notation, to make them have valid notation. I'll copy the invalid notation into the comment so the original version can be seen. I intend to try to support any invalid notation that I can understand and that can therefore be translated to a valid notation solution. Please, if you see me invalidate any solution that you think is actually correct, please let me know and I will look at it again.
Wow! That is great, and thank you very much for doing it. That will be really nice to have and see working. Thanks again for getting this working.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm running into a bug on the competition website: I got 3 DNFs in 3BLD, and it can understand two DNFs, but it wants to record the third one as a DNS. I was able to manually enter DNF, and I think it recognizes it now, but it sure tries to see a DNS.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm running into a bug on the competition website: I got 3 DNFs in 3BLD, and it can understand two DNFs, but it wants to record the third one as a DNS. I was able to manually enter DNF, and I think it recognizes it now, but it sure tries to see a DNS.
Thank you; I was able to duplicate the problem. It happens when you are using manual entry and do not provide a time, but simply hit DNF. It seems to only happen when you do this with the second time - if you do, then the third time refuses to register - it treats it like it's a re-entry of the second time.
I'll see what I can do to fix this as soon as I can - perhaps this weekend.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Thank you; I was able to duplicate the problem. It happens when you are using manual entry and do not provide a time, but simply hit DNF. It seems to only happen when you do this with the second time - if you do, then the third time refuses to register - it treats it like it's a re-entry of the second time.
I'll see what I can do to fix this as soon as I can - perhaps this weekend.
So should I enter a time first, and then hit DNF?