• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Block Keeper: Cross platform desktop timer

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a feature I would like that I have not seen before.

FMC.

It gives you a scramble, a spot to wright notes and a spot to wright your solution and the computer checks it and gives you a number. In addition to that, a mode where for FMC you have an hour.

I also would like people to chose the clock notation they like and how long the scramble is.

Last edited:

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hello guys!
Sorry my email notifications weren't appearing and I've been busy with University work. I'm not dead and the project isn't either.

I've just released version 0.5.0 which is a relatively small patch which just adds some themes and a couple requested features.
  • ADDED CSV record export
  • ADDED split timer key customisation
  • ADDED neon themes
  • FIXED shortcuts becoming global (OS wide) and interrupting other apps
I think I'd like to start wrapping up development for the initial release. This just means polishing and getting a strong product out there for more people to use. This also includes open sourcing. But I'd love to implement your requests first, so let me reply to your missed posts (which I apologise for).

Elf
Thanks! 1. I think it would be worth having the option to scale the size of the scramble based on screen size. Currently it remains the same no matter what size so this would help your problem. If you send me a screenshot (in the thread or to [email protected]) so I can see how it is being cutoff, I could make sure it is appropriate for your screen size. 2. I agree, and It's on the todo list now.

Saransh Grover
Thanks as well! Sorry I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean is it possible to get a list of your times/ao5/ao12 in a way that you can easily copy and paste? In which case I can implement that. Is that what you meant?

mitja
No, you cannot currently import scrambles. There are a number of ways you could include a scramble with your times if they didn't already have scrambles, but they involve a little work and knowledge of JSON files. You can insert scrambles in with your times within the session storage file puzzles.json. This file is stored where your OS normally stores application files e.g MacOS stores them in /Library/Application/Support and it would be found in the Block Keeper folder. You could also import them with times from csTimer, I'm unsure if you can manually input scrambles in csTimer to import to Block Keeper though. I wouldn't recommend this however as if you make a mistake in editing the puzzles.json you could loose all your times.

Mastermind2368
Sounds like a really cool idea for a tool. However I don't think it really fits into the scope of Block Keeper. I think that would be really cool as a seperate application and something I would develop in the future. If you think this is something the fewest moves community would like and have any more suggestions send them to me at [email protected]. I don't do the event personally so I wouldn't know what you guys are looking for. Scrambles use random state, not random move, so even if you increase the length of a scramble, it won't be any more scrambled then the current length.

Last edited:

Elf

WCA
2013FISC01
Great to hear that DalDal :)
Here is the Screenshot, in the first Image the scramble is scrolled to the top and in the second it's scrolled down.

Screenshot (41).png Screenshot (42).png

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Great to hear that DalDal :)
Here is the Screenshot, in the first Image the scramble is scrolled to the top and in the second it's scrolled down.

View attachment 7690 View attachment 7691

Hmm looks like you're using an old version. I updated it to take up more space. anyway, the option will be coming in the future for any screen size, including the option to increase the size. Here's an example of 10 MBLD scrambles fitting fine even at nearly the smallest size window possible.

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 9.47.52 pm.png

Elo13

WCA
2016ELOV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is something I thought about a long time ago. I used to use cstimer, and in cstimer you can choose what two averages are shown in the time list. The default averages are ao5 and ao12, which are also the ones shown in Block Keeper. I like the custom option in cstimer, but I don't like the fact that I have to change them every time I switch events. For example, when doing BLD I would like to see my mo3 and ao5 but when I'm doing 3x3 I would like to see my ao5 or ao12 and my ao100. Would it be possible to add the option to choose what average/mean is shown next to the time in the time list, and have it be different for every event?

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
This is something I thought about a long time ago. I used to use cstimer, and in cstimer you can choose what two averages are shown in the time list. The default averages are ao5 and ao12, which are also the ones shown in Block Keeper. I like the custom option in cstimer, but I don't like the fact that I have to change them every time I switch events. For example, when doing BLD I would like to see my mo3 and ao5 but when I'm doing 3x3 I would like to see my ao5 or ao12 and my ao100. Would it be possible to add the option to choose what average/mean is shown next to the time in the time list, and have it be different for every event?
I never knew csTimer could do that. Although it's a nice idea, Block Keeper already highlights the current and best Mo3, Ao5, Ao12, Ao50 and Ao100 as you go. You can also view how your Mo3 changes in the event trend tool if you want a view of it as you go. I like the idea, but I think there are already many ways to access the data your looking for.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Block Keeper 0.6.0 has been released and adds more options to customise your cubing experience.
  • ADDED custom background image option
  • ADDED timer start delay option
  • ADDED refresh theme button to preview custom themes before saving
  • ADDED pretty text export for selected session
  • ADDED option to adjust size of scramble text
  • ADDED experimental touchbar support for new MacBook pros
  • CHANGED records so they scroll down when times are added
  • CHANGED Block Keeper icon to be less complex. New icon reflects not only the more complete status of Block Keeper (with additional blocks) but also leaves a notch out for your 'block' to be 'kept' in :)
The MacOS version is using the latest Electron beta which adds touchbar support (for anyone that has one). If you experience any issues with the MacOS version let me know as I may need to revert the Electron version until it is more stable.

I think Block Keeper is really close to a full release so if you have any ideas, be sure to let me know ASAP.

Draranor

Premium Member
WCA
2016REIC01
I just found this a little bit ago, and I like what I see so far! I like the fairly simplistic design; and I can tell it's a little inspired by cstimer from the screenshots, which is a good thing. anyway, can't wait to start using it tomorrow after work! I'll be sure to let you know if I have any ideas, questions, etc.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hey Guys!

I'm very happy to announce Block Keeper 1.0.0! Now it is out of development and is (hopefully) stable and fully featured for wide use. Nothing has really changed from 0.6.0 except some bug fixes. The guide has also been updated and the source code is available on Github.

A massive thanks to everyone who has suggested features, pointed out issues and helped make Block Keeper better and better. I look forward to continuing to improving Block Keeper in the future and if you have any more feedback, I'm always interested.

My next plan is to make Block Keeper extendable. Currently there are only a set number of events to create sessions under and which provide scrambles. I hope to develop the ability to create event plugins which would be small files, specifying an event and even including a small JS file for a scramble generator to be written in. If this is something you would be interested in, let me know.

Elf

WCA
2013FISC01
Hey DalDal,
I'm really happy that the full Version is done now. I really appreciate what you did and Block Keeper instantly became my main timer :).
But I have another question: How can I use a Stackmat v4 together with the timer? I tried it already but nothing happened ...
As I already said, I have a Stackmat v4, but I could also use a v2, maybe even a v3. I have a Windows 8.1 Netbook which has microphone and box Output in only one combined plug-in.
I used a Standard 3.5 to 2.5 mm cable to connect the stackmat with the Netbook.
What am I doing wrong?

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hmmm that's interesting. The downloads all appear to be up correctly and fully formatted. Does it extract correctly and you get the README and LICENSES folder? or is it when you try to open the application itself? I will try a fresh download on my Windows 10 64 bit and I'll report back. I will be using 7-zip. If you find any error messages please post them here.

Elf, I wrote a guide here discussing how to connect Stackmat timers to Macs, it has been tested with a V4, but it is also relevant for PC's. The problem may be you cannot use your combined jack only for input. Check that when it is plugged in, you are receiving input sound from it (should be loud and change quickly). If not, you may need to buy a USB mic adaptor described in the guide. Let me know if this helps.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Ok, so the download is VERY unstable using edge on Windows 10. This could be a Mac bootcamp issue or my poor internet. But it's likely the server's poor upload rate. So after it gives up a couple times, it says the download is complete where it really isn't and that's why you get the error.

I'll be uploading them to media fire for a more stable (and much faster) download. I'll adjust the download links very shortly and there should be no trouble. :)

Elf

WCA
2013FISC01
Hey DalDal,
thanks for your answer, I receive the short very loud Input. I think I simply need to buy the usb converter thing to make it work. :)

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
The project is well alive on Github if you program. I'll look into the clock notation. Would it be preferred to swap it or have the option to change it? Maybe I should post patch notes here.