• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

Jgldrums

There are multiple variants of the Beginner's Method. It will be easier to learn CFOP if your last layer is in this order:
Orient Edges (make cross on top)
Orient Corners (finish top face)
Permute Corners (move corner pieces to their correct position)
Permute Edges (finish cube, move edge pieces to their correct position)
If you solve the last layer like that or similarly, what I would first suggest is an intermediate LL (last layer) method called 4-look last layer (4LLL). This method requires 16 algorithms total, many of which are based off of others.

Here's an example: (scramble yellow on top, red in front) R' U2 R2 U R2 U F R F L F L' F U'
There should be a Y shape of yellow pieces that is turned 135 degrees counterclockwise. If you have this, then you did the right scramble.
Parentheses around a single move indicates that it is a premove and not part of the algorithm.
(U) F U R U' R' F' // Orient edges
(U') R U R' U R U2 R' // Orient corners
// Permutation of corners unnecessary
R2 U R U R' U' R' U' R U R' (U') Permute edges

Can you direct me to the Wiki/algs for 4LLL? I can't seem to find it.

That makes sense. Although it does look like you've missed out something using the letters a, b and d.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not really clear in the description.

I don't really know, but the wiki said it had less. And it does change significantly with which method you use...

Thanks! I'll probably try switching in two weeks, after Guildford.

Could you explain your reasoning for switching to Roux? I am trying to decide which method to use. (I'm also thinking Keyhole).

Last edited by a moderator:

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd recommend learning 2 Look OLL from this site: http://badmephisto.com/2LookOLL.pdf
And for 2 Look PLL you can keep the headlights in the back and do this: l' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 (Aa Perm)(l' means turning the Middle layer and the left layer at the same time)
If there are no headlights, do this holding the cube anyway: F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' (Y-perm)
And for EPLL:https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/EPLL(When only the edges need to be moved)

Zach

Simple but fast 3x3 methods?

I have been looking into a lot of 3x3 speed methods lately, and I have found that nearly all require a lot of algorithms, or use complicated techniques. If a method is easy, it's slow, and if it's got tons of algorithms, it's fast. I was wondering if there were any methods that have the best of both. A method that uses few algorithms (under 20) and, if used well, can achieve a low time (sub-10). I understand that to get fast times, you need to practice and learn algorithms, but surely there are some methods that can be used in competition and don't require a lot of algorithms. Also, I know about Petrus. It's a good method, but I wouldn't mind having a few more algorithms in exchange for being able to achieve faster times.

GTemples27

I mean, you could do CFOP with 4LLL. Not the fastest, but not too many algs. Or you could do Petrus with the 2 Look OLL and full PLL for fast (Not sure if you could get sub-10, but you'd be able to get pretty good times.) times. That's only ~30 algs.

jerincha

which method should I choose if i am not interested in lot of turning around the cube, less and small algorithms?

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone actually use SSC? As far as I can see, it's an interesting experimental idea, but with no users and no resources it's really not a good recommendation for a beginner to choose.

I'm sometimes doing SSC solves. The method got huge potential in my opinion. Now maybe the fingertricks with loads of Ds can get a bit annoying but apart from that I think it's definitely worth a recommendation.

But I admit it's not my main method.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone actually use SSC? As far as I can see, it's an interesting experimental idea, but with no users and no resources it's really not a good recommendation for a beginner to choose.
Crafto is sub-15 with SSC-M ( or ECE). I admit that it does need more resources but I just want to try to promote it and get people to look at it. If /when I get sub-10 with Roux (hopefully within a year) I may try to get it sub-10- I am about 20 with it atm and I don't know all the algs. If I get bored I will switch sooner.

Tbh, I don't think anyone will choose it as a beginner because it isn't exactly an easy method. Hopefully I can get it fast soon but I need to practise it more first.

Basically, I hope that if I get fast with it more people will see it as an alternative like roux (or more specifically to CFOP)

Plus he wanted a rotationless, low alg and SSC has the lowest alg count of any method (in fact any method aside from BLD and Sexy method or similar without having to learn comms)

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey I don't mean to disparage SSC or discourage you. It's an interesting idea and innovation is important. But this thread is about method choice for beginners and it's not a good choice for a beginner.

Also, if you really want to promote it, you should show your belief in it and use it yourself as your main! :)

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey I don't mean to disparage SSC or discourage you. It's an interesting idea and innovation is important. But this thread is about method choice for beginners and it's not a good choice for a beginner.

Also, if you really want to promote it, you should show your belief in it and use it yourself as your main! :)

Some years ago no one would agree that Roux is a good choice for a beginner. Today it's said to be one of the easiest approaches to solve the cube for beginners. Roux uses some "uncommon" concepts like blockbuilding and intuitive LSE and is yet easy to understand.
SSC features a similar last step as well as EO at the start. I'd say SSC could be a nice method for beginners, allowing them to switch to ZZ, Roux or similar methods with ease later.
Alright, maybe it's not the perfect method for the kind of beginner who has huge problems at first, and only wants to learn how to brainlessly solve the cube, not understanding a lot and not memorizing a lot of algs. But there are always people out there that are ambitious and want to learn a fancy method right away. There are prominent Roux users that chose Roux for the sole reason of this method not being mainstream ; and they got happy with it. So I think as SSC is as efficient as Roux we shouldn't deny newcomers this method.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know SSC so I don't know how suitable it is as a beginners method, but I agree that if someone wants a "fancy" method to begin with then there's nothing wrong with that, and if SSC suits them then perhaps it could be good to suggest it to them. However,
There are prominent Roux users that chose Roux for the sole reason of this method not being mainstream ; and they got happy with it.
I don't think this reasoning should be encouraged. :p

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You got a point there. In this case I think someone should create a tutorial for SSC and include it in the first post of this thread.
I know that shadowslice's introduction of SSC is not sufficient to learn the method unless you are already an experienced cuber.