A Collection of Cubing Curiosities

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by macky, Aug 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    I noticed this one on your webpage:

"An E-perm: (LU'Ru2L'UR')2. This is N-perm with u2 instead of U2."

If you replace U2 with E2, it becomes a Z perm.

2. TMOY

TMOY Member

Jun 29, 2008
    WCA:
    2008COUR01
    And LU'Ru2L'UR' LU'RU2L'U(LE2L')R' is a V-perm.

3. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Lucas, my apologies. I likely misremembered who had done the analysis (I'm the one who mentioned Michael Gottlieb in my post to Macky). Michael, did you do any analysis on this as well? Apologies if I have not given credit where credit is due, that was not my intention.

4. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    LL Scramble; B2 D' F R2 F' D B U2 B U y2

OLL; R U R' U'

Feliks found this one.

5. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    I know it's been said already, but Feliks' technique is amazing!

6. DavidWoner

DavidWoner The Punchmaster

May 7, 2008
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    WCA:
    2008WONE01
    YouTube:
    vault312
    Erm, what do you mean he found it? This is an old trick for FM. It also applies to L R F2 R B L' U2 L B' R2 F L' which is oriented with r U' L' as well others I'm sure.

7. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    Added more. Thanks for your contributions.

ah, I see. Did someone show that the commutators themselves are closed under composition? I remember reading something like this. In that case, I would mention the Sune is a representative non-obvious example.

I'd be interested in seeing some more.

Yeah, for things that multiple people have known for a while, I want to replace the "suggested by" with just a nameless link to the source post. On the other hand (not really a reply to your comment), I think "popularized by" should stay; if Feliks really did popularize that one case enough case to turn that trick into common knowledge, then he deserves a mention, like with Rowe's E perm. In any case, speak up if there's any doubt.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I don't remember doing any analysis on this.

Another curiosity: certain algs can be done on only the top face of a bigger cube simply by replacing some of the moves. For instance, RwURw'U'Rw'FRw2U'Rw'U'RwURw'F'. The canonical Y perm works too, and Fw2UM'U2MUFw2. This is somewhat surprising since many common/fast algs do not do this. The R'U2RU2 R perm doesn't work, or the 2-gen U perm and the RU2R' style J perm doesn't although the RUR'F' one does. The MU H-perm works, the 2-gen one *almost* works (it does the intended effect plus two edge 2-cycles), and the RLU2 one almost works as well if you do it right. I'm still not really sure why some algs work and others don't, but it's definitely curious.

EDIT: Oh yeah, something else that I think I discovered: any PLL (any ZBLL, actually) can be done completely 2-gen plus exactly one F and one F'. The same thing occurs for D/D', B/B', and L/L'.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  9. Athefre

Athefre Member

Jul 25, 2006
    0, 0
    Are you including recognition time when you say "faster"? Because surely, when using freecenters, the five move MU'M'UM' (UL/UR at UL and DF) and M'U'M'UM' (UL/UR at UL and UB) can be performed faster than the nine move RrUM. Even M'U2M'UMUM'UM' (UL/UR at UF and UB), which is the longest freecenter six-flip, is pretty fast.

Including recognition time though, it may be quicker to use your RU'r'U'M'UrUr' instead of searching for UL and UR to save four moves.

I hate to not add anything to the topic. I tried, but nothing came to mind.

10. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    Yeah, I wouldn't rely on that. I only misorient centres when I happen to have recog'd white/yellow during CMLL and know a trick for the case.

11. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, I don't think this ever came up here: G = <UF, RBL> (Rokicki's proof)

From the same thread: A set of two random cube elements is about 50% likely to generate the entire cube group.