A Collection of Cubing Curiosities

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by macky, Aug 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    http://cubefreak.net/other/curiosities.php

Please suggest inclusions. There must be some real gems in A Collection of Algorithms.

2. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    rUR'U'r'FR2U'R'U'RUR'F' - T Perm derived OLLCP

EDIT: Not too sure of the criteria for things to go into this list. I mean, there's a plethora of magic LSE stuff that most would be uninterested in (if they even understand it).

EDIT2: Maybe this is notable; X Y X' Z Y' Z' = [Z: [Z' X, Y]] = [X:Y] [Z:Y']

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    A superflip (independently invented by me and many others): ((M'U)4 x y')3

<R,U> 2-gen M'U2MU2 (also an intuitive 2gen 3-cycle) found by me: (R U R2 U' R') (U' R' U2 R U)

Unexpected U perm found by me: (M'U2M) U (M'U2M) U (M'U2M)

And LUL'x'U'F'U'FU2RUR'U should be LUL'x'U'F'UFU2RUR'U.

4. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    I wouldn't count this since it's not surprising that a (partially) thick version of a last layer algorithm gives another last layer algorithm. When the result is another PLL, it's a bit more magical.

Could you list some examples? Yeah, I couldn't think of good non-examples, so I'll try to write down more precise criteria after some posts.

How do you use this?

Yeah, this one is simple and well known but surprising and beautiful enough to deserve a spot.

Fixed, thanks. I'll look at the others when I have a cube.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. sa11297

sa11297 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Texas
    WCA:
    2011AGAR05
    YouTube:
    sa11297
    R2DR'U2RD'R'U2 R2FRB'R'F'B
    an e perm that I made up

6. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

You probably meant (LU'Ru2L'UR')2 for the E-perm. Also, most of your algs should work straight in alg.garron.us if you'd like to link.

You're missing a move. Also, that does not seem curious to me at all. It's just a concatenation of two OLLs which flow together by one move.

Typo: "orother"

Also popularized by Chris: The number of unsolved states of a 3x3x3 is prime.

Another "beautiful" alg: (R'U'RU')5
    Also (R U R' F)5

7. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Nice page/thread...

Correction: My cube-in-cube rotates the cube around the ULF corner, not the URF corner.

(R U R' U') (L' U' L U) (U R U' R') (U' L' U L) is a 3-cycle of edges on the 3x3x3 and a 3-cycle of corners on the megaminx.

8. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
  9. irontwig

irontwig Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2010JERN01
    YouTube:
    jernqvist
    All 10 move 2C2E swaps are cyclic shifts and/or inverses of each other.

10. Cubenovice

Cubenovice Forever Slow

In FMC the best results are typically optained by insertion of some moves.
    Both (tied) world records did not use insertions...

11. clement

clement Member

Sep 19, 2007
    WCA:
    2004GALL02
    Another way to do the cube-in-cube : (R F2 L R F2 L' R2 [u'] [r'])4 (found by Per Kristen Fredlund). [u'] [r'] is turn around URF corner.

Also : (R U' R' U [r] )3 flips 3 corners and 2 edges, so (R U' R' U [r] )6 flips 3 corners and (R U' R' U [r] )9 flips 2 edges.

On the contrary, (R U' R' U [u'] [r'])3 = id

In HTM, shortest non trivial id alg (one exemple) : R2 F R F' U' R2 B' R' B U
    Correction : well, U2 D2 R2 L2 U2 D2 R2 L2 is shorter...

12. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    Originally from this thread: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?26442-Hardest-Scramble-ever

Here's another one:

The fastest known diagonal corner swap on a 333, which preserves CO, is this E perm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCG6bNLqUkE

Even if we could ignore all edges and centres, there's nothing better afaik :p

13. Forte

Forte Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Waterloo, Ontario
    WCA:
    2009SHIN02
    YouTube:
    fswaddle
    It's kinda arbitrary, but the Sune is a well known algorithm so I thought I might as well post this.

R U R' U R U2 R' = [R U R2 : R U2 R2]

14. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Ooooh, Lucas that reminds me! The number of unsolved states of the 8x8x8 and 11x11x11 are also prime numbers (3+8=11 is how I remember that). I'll send that off to Macky, if someone hasn't sent it already.

15. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    This is definitely a curiosity - the "31 club" in FMC... A surprisingly large number of famous/important cubers have 31 moves as their official personal best. The current list includes Dan Cohen, Gilles Roux *and* Lars Petrus, Lucas Garron and me, Mike Hughey, Stefan Pochmann, and Yu Nakajima. (And it was the NAR twice :p)

16. irontwig

irontwig Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2010JERN01
    YouTube:
    jernqvist
    I hope to cancel my membership soon.

17. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    Here's one that uses every face turn; D F R U2 B L U' L' U2 B' R' U F' D'

I think the most delicious thing regarding LSE tricks is how you can give yourself easy orientations by changing the definition of orientation and misorienting centres.

For example, on this scramble; MURUR'U'M2URU'r'

orientation would be solved with this (or similar); M'U2M'U2M'UM'

with the alternative definition, orientation for this case is simply; M'

However, an explanation of this technique would not be very concise.

X Y X' Z Y' Z' = X Y X' Y' Y Z Y' Z'

[M', RUR'U'] = FU -> RU -> BU
    [RUR'U', E'] = BU -> BR -> RF

X - M', Y - RUR'U', Z - E'

M' RUR'U' M E' URU'R' E = FU -> RU -> BU -> BR -> RF

It's really only useful for K4 LL so far. Doing intuitive 5-cycles in BLD with it is... quite hard.

Some other stuff..

This is pretty neat; [FRBL,U]

The shortest alg that affects orientation with no effect on permutation is; RUR2FRF2UFU2

RU'r'U'M'UrUr' is a bit magical for LSE - much shorter/faster than any <MU> one (somewhat unique in this respect), but doubt this warrants inclusion in the list.

18. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    Added some. Pointing out non-examples.

Unexpected, but not surprising since the algorithm clearly leaves EPLL.

These seem borderline to me. They're certainly facts to be noted, but of course there is some shortest alg in each case. It'd be surprising if that algorithm is particularly cute. Like,

That is kind of neat.

Again seems borderline for the same reason. I'll wait on inclusion for now.

But more importantly, ", which preserves CO," should read "that preserves CO" (without commas). With that kind of grammar, how's a non-cuber to know that not every diagonal corner swap on a 3x3 preserves CO?

I don't see how anything you wrote is particularly surprising or beautiful. The derivations are impressive but don't seem miraculous in any way. The formulas are some ugly mess that follow by basic combinatorial considerations.

I don't see how that's surprising or illuminating. The conjugation looks arbitrary.

Could you clarify this? Of course God's number for LL is some number. Is it that there's a single case (up to some appropriate equivalence) with this distance? That might not be that surprising. Is it that, for this single case, there's a single algorithm (again up to equivalence) of length 16?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  19. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

I think he meant to write [R U R2, R U2 R2]. The Sune is one of the most important algs in cubing, and it is curious that the alg itself can be written as a commutator (because it's not obvious at a glance).
    See http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?5783-Math-Problem-12

(Contrast with an even alg like UR, which can not be written as a commutator – but which is the same permutation as some algs which are commutators)

Correction: "The current list includes Dan Cohen, Gilles Roux *and* Lars Petrus, Lucas Garron, Michael Gottlieb, Mike Hughey, Stefan Pochmann, and Yu Nakajima."

Also, I'm not so sure about some of your attributions. But maybe I'm just jealous I didn't suggest them first. :p

Regarding Hardwick's conjecture: I checked up to n=54 over four years ago when Chris brought up the n=3 constant; see this post; I don't recall Michael posting on this, but maybe I'm just missing something.

I've been showing people the RU-gen S'U2SU2 for years, although I just consider it common knowledge.
    One other interesting variant (I use it all the time during BLD) is R2 U R U R2' U' R' U' R' U2 R'.

In a similar vein, an Mu-gen U-perm where all the M-moves and all the u-moves can naturally go in the same direction each time: M2 u' M' u2' M' u' M2'

From an email to you (Macky) on June 4:

There are 5 (RU-gen) F2L cases where the corner is facing up. Four of these have very nice algs, while the fifth somehow does not. Moreover, each of the four algs is its own self-inverse (by permutation), and preserves the orientation of all other LL pieces. I think that's pretty curious; I can partially of explain it from the algs, but I don't quite see why it should work out this way.

RU'R'URU2'R'U'RUR' (edge in slot)
    URURU2'R'U'RU'R2' (edge clockwise once from corner)
    RU'R'U2RUR' (edge clockwise twice from corner)
    [No good alg] (edge clockwise three times from corner)
    R U2 R' U' R U2 R' U R U2 R' (edge clockwise 4 times from corner)

Maybe not so exciting, but: There are exactly two states in the center of the cube group, and they are the closest and farthest possible from solved (in HTM).

The double-Sune can be rotated/mirrored/inverted to perform any 3-cycle of edges for a given corner orientation (keeping corners permuted).

20. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    Sorry, I couldn't really find a nice and easy to understand way of describing this "oddity", thanks. I'm never sure when to use "which" or "that"...

Ah sorry. I thought Rinfiyks meant this is the only LL case that requires 16 moves to solve and all of the other LL cases require a maximum of 15 moves. I don't actually know myself.