• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

Martin Orav

Could someone give me examples of 2x2x2 positions that require 11 moves to solve optimally?
Are there any 2x2x2 positions that require 11 moves and are also a pattern like the superflip on 3x3x3?
Is there really no way for humans to solve the 2x2x2 optimally every time? Im talking about FMC style solves not speedsolves.

M

Malkom

Could someone give me examples of 2x2x2 positions that require 11 moves to solve optimally?
Are there any 2x2x2 positions that require 11 moves and are also a pattern like the superflip on 3x3x3?
Is there really no way for humans to solve the 2x2x2 optimally every time? Im talking about FMC style solves not speedsolves.
some humans can solve 3x3 optimally, it's definitely possible for 2x2.

xyzzy

some humans can solve 3x3 optimally, it's definitely possible for 2x2.

I'd agree that it's possible for 2×2×2 with some hard work (i.e. learning ~1000 algs), but is there even a person who can solve random 3×3×3 scrambles optimally with reasonable consistency (say, 10% of the time)?

M

Malkom

I'd agree that it's possible for 2×2×2 with some hard work (i.e. learning ~1000 algs), but is there even a person who can solve random 3×3×3 scrambles optimally with reasonable consistency (say, 10% of the time)?
Sorry, I meant that some people have occasionally solved 3x3 optimally, since 2x2 is a much simpler puzzle a person should be able to get quite a few (if not every) 2x2FMCs optimal.

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello,
I think I'm ready to start speedsolving 2x2. What's, in your opinion, the best method for a beginner 2x2 speedcuber? My 3x3 PB is sub 50 if that helps.

Crystalline
Ortega or LBL, both have few algs and can get you all the way down to sub 4 eventually, and sub 10 shouldn't be very difficult once you practice with one of these methods for a bit

Sandro Pastor

Hi everyone,
I've gotten a 2x2 speedcube recently and learnt Ortega. I was wondering what's the best method for 2x2x2 speed cubing. I read EG-1/EG-2 was the fastest but it's harder to memorize so I just went with Ortega.
Can Ortega reach sub-5, maybe sub-4? And if so, what do I need to do to get there? If your answer is practice, what kind of practice?
Thank you in advance :D

Sandro Pastor

If you want to be world class then you should definitely learn EG as well as a few other things such as 42 and TCLL etc.
Oh ok thanks, I'll try to learn. I've written down the CLL on a notebook, should I start with those? Or go straight to EG-1 and EG-2?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can definitely get sub-4 with Ortega/LBL, and maybe sub-3 if you really practice.

Although, if you actually want to be world class, you should start out with CLL (CLL is part of EG), then move on to EG-1 and EG-2. Just to clear up some confusion: you don't use just CLL, just EG-1, or just EG-2 if you want to be world class; you use which ever one applies to the solve. CLL is a good starting point though. :)

Sandro Pastor

You can definitely get sub-4 with Ortega/LBL, and maybe sub-3 if you really practice.

Although, if you actually want to be world class, you should start out with CLL (CLL is part of EG), then move on to EG-1 and EG-2. Just to clear up some confusion: you don't use just CLL, just EG-1, or just EG-2 if you want to be world class; you use which ever one applies to the solve. CLL is a good starting point though. :)

Yeah I know CLL, EG-1 and EG-2 are used depending on the solve, but I just decided to start with CLL because the test solves I was doing with it were actually working. I did some EG-1 test solves earlier and everytime I tried an algorithm, the solve would mess up. I don't know what's wrong, but I'll try to just focus on CLL for now and get used to figuring out which piece is where. Thanks for your reply :D

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CLl is a good start and will help you know if you really want to get into 2x2. Sub 4 is not very difficult with cll after practicing for a while, and it can get you to mid-high 2s eventually, usually around 3.0 people will learn Eg-1

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
Hey! I have around a 3.1 average and I used CLL and EG-1...I feel as though my average is actually very bad for the methods I know. I know the first thing I should learn is one-looking and I’m working on that, I know that practice makes perfect, but I’ve practiced so much with EG-1 and CLL and I don’t seem to get faster. What should I do next besides one-look?

What Is Better, LBL Or Ortega?
I love 2x2, but I am fairly new to cubing in general. I average around 9-8 seconds with LBL and I am currently learning the y perm for last layer. I hear that Ortega can be faster, so I would just like to get some other opinions on what everyone else thinks is faster.