• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CLLEF, the evil twin of COLL

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
I like to use COLL for my fridrich solves and I know that there are a few people out there who does too.
An argument not to use COLL is that COLL algorithms take longer to execute than the relevant OLL's. That's when an idea came to me...

What are the OLL's that most people hate. For me it's OLL's with no edges oriented correctly. Then I started to find different algorithms for the same OLL case with no edges oriented correctly.
Now I've found a full set of COLL algorithms that orients and permutes the corners of the last layer, and flips all four of the last layer edges. I call them CLLEF: "Corners Last Layer and Edge Flip"

So, is it worth it?
Compared to using COLL you have 40 cases to learn with CLLEF and COLL, recognition is also the same and the end result is an edge only PLL or PLL-skip.
CLLEF algorithms are longer than COLL on average, but that's not a fair comparison. Instead, COLL algorithms are longer then the respective OLL algorithms, but CLLEF algorithms are (so far) exactly 12.0 moves compared to 12.0 of the respective OLL's (taken from cubewhiz.com).

One negative point about CLLEF is that it is not very useful with other methods like Petrus og Roux.

I'm working on optimizing the CLLEF algorithms for speed but I'm almost done If anyone is interest in this I could add the algorithms to the wiki (under CxLL ?).
If this is just mad ramblings, tell me aswell.

N

nitrocan

If it flips all 4 edges, then you have found solutions for 4 cases. (Nothing oriented (2 cases), two corners and no edges oriented (1 case), all corners and no edges oriented (1 case))

N

nitrocan

... algorithms that orients and permutes the corners of the last layer, and flips all four of the last layer edges.

Do you seriously think that's only 8 cases ?!

Oh sorry, I wasn't reading properly. What I meant was, there are 4 cases out of 57 that you will be able to use these algorithms.

blah

brah
And an even lower probability than 4/57 during which you have to use these algs.

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
Oh sorry, I wasn't reading properly. What I meant was, there are 4 cases out of 57 that you will be able to use these algorithms.

And an even lower probability than 4/57 during which you have to use these algs.

I can tell that you are not COLL users :)

Okay, COLL replaces 7/57 OLL's. CLLEF would replace 8/57 OLL's.

If that's what you want to measure then CLLEF should be better than COLL which some people allready use.

I'm not saying that this is the new supermethod. I'm saying that if you like to use COLL why not try CLLEF aswell.

blah

brah
I'm not a COLL user but I know what it is :p I just quoted the figure 4/57 because that's what nitrocan said. And I just realized that there are 8 OLLs with all edges flipped after you mentioned it, my bad. But still, the probability of using these algs is still lower than 8/57.

Zava

WCA
2007BERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not a COLL user but I know what it is :p I just quoted the figure 4/57 because that's what nitrocan said. And I just realized that there are 8 OLLs with all edges flipped after you mentioned it, my bad. But still, the probability of using these algs is still lower than 8/57.

why? of course too short

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01

why? of course too short

Because the probability of getting any OLL is not 1/57. That's just the number of possible cases.

I use COLL everytime i get a COLL case. COLL should occour fewer times than CLLEF, so I figure that I should be able to effectively use CLLEF along with COLL. That's 15/57 cases that gives me edge-perm only or PLL-skip.

Again, I like to use COLL and think I'm going to like CLLEF too. I'm just trying to check if others might be interested in the algs for CLLEF?

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't mind the corners when calculating probability for edge orientation. There are

4 * adjacent
2 * opposite
1 * all fliped
1 * all correct

total 8

I know a few algs for this method, some for the opposite cases and a big bunch of adjacent cases, Example = Sune r U R' U R U2 r' (yop!, use double layers and your COLL orients edges while solving corners, works for many algs)

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
@Kenneth
Your example wouldn't work for the idea I had with CLLEF, because it's for the corner cases with all edges flipped.

The only sune variant that I found for CLLEF was this:
r U2 R' U' R U' r2 U2 R U R' U r (and the inverse)

Do you know any other that would flip 4 edges?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice idea!
I think this is something that might actually be worth it for me to learn!
What is the average number of moves it require? I'd definitely consider it if it's around 13 moves or less. I hope it should be fingertrick friendly and no algs are over 16 moves.

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
Nice idea!
I think this is something that might actually be worth it for me to learn!
What is the average number of moves it require? I'd definitely consider it if it's around 13 moves or less. I hope it should be fingertrick friendly and no algs are over 16 moves.

I'm almost finished with the optimizing for speed (fingertricks) and at the moment the average number of moves is 12.0.

About fingertrick friendly algs I need to tell you that there are no 2-gens because you can't edgeflip with 2-gens (except for M U ones, but that wouldn't affect corners). The longest alg at the moment is 15 moves. It could be shorter but then it would be 6-gen!

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
I will slowly add the algs to the wiki Cxll page in the next couple of days.

Lars,

I will be interested. Actually I already use CELL for years and sometimes variate with Corner algs to optimize edges. I also have some CLLEF algs in my speed-algs. I'' check the wiki-pages next week

Gus

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
@Kenneth
Your example wouldn't work for the idea I had with CLLEF, because it's for the corner cases with all edges flipped.

r' R2 U R' U r U2 r' U M' (and the mirror)

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Kenneth

Insert M' U M into the algs at some point, don't remmeber how I did Sune at the moment but you can try to start with M' U and then Sune + restore FL edge.