• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where to Buy the Rubik's Cube Deluxe Edition?

Krazy Jeff

I own a Rubik's Cube Deluxe Edition (Tiled Version) sold in the 80s. Though mine is still in good shape, I'd like to get another one. I was wondering if anyone here knows of an online store that still sells this 3x3 cube?

01247-01.jpg

Click Here for More details.

Neroflux

WCA
2009YENL01
hehe, there's never a shop to buy them. you can try ebay, you can offer on twistypuzzles.com. i once saw one of them on helm.lu, but it's gone now. i saw a few of them on ebay, but recently no one's selling them.

Krazy Jeff

Pity, I've had mine since probably 1984. The colors are still great, the tension was a bit loose, but I've tighten the screws--finally figured out if I pop the centers there is a screw in there--lol. It sure beats having those with stickers.

Krazy Jeff

You use it for speedcubing? I would not touch it if I got it :p
That's exactly how I feel. I didn't want to break it, so I purchased just 25th Anniversary cubes to practice speedcubing. But they don't last long, the stickers tend to fade and peel off. I wish I could buy another deluxe version. I wasn't aware until today, that it's not easy to find this version. Lucky me? :rolleyes:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Expect to pay anywhere between $50 and $300 for one of these (on ebay). But if your only reason is bad stickers, go to cubesmith.com for good ones.

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure my dad had one of those when I was a kid (he was a big rubik's fan) I remember it not having stickers but plastic tiles and back then in the 80s there wasn't anything like cubesmith where you could easily get replacements.

Why don't you just get some tiles or stickers instead? Unless you really want to spend the money to have it as a collectors item of course.

Does anyone have one of those early rubik's cubes where yellow is next to white?

Krazy Jeff

Knowing what I just learned today from you guys, I guess, I am gonna clean up the cube, store it away in a safe place. I've had it for years, it was in my personal chest and it was there for years.

I also have a black and white Rubik's Snake (I guess they call it a Rubik's Twist?) Just have to find it, I know it's in a box in the attic somewhere..?

And I also have (I don't know how to explain it), but it's round like a cylinder... ugh!! Let me just take a picture of it and upload it... see below.. I got these puzzles around the same year as my Deluxe Cube. Now if I can only remember where I bought it--man.. lots of years gone by.. (seems like yesterday). I may be the modern day version of Rip Van Winkle (you know the guy that slept for years and woke up, thinking it was just the next day..) LOL!

See attachments below:

Attachments

• cynlinder_rubiks_cube 001.jpg
    cynlinder_rubiks_cube 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 57
  • cynlinder_rubiks_cube 002.jpg
    cynlinder_rubiks_cube 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • cynlinder_rubiks_cube 003.jpg
    cynlinder_rubiks_cube 003.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 54

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure my dad had one of those when I was a kid (he was a big rubik's fan) I remember it not having stickers but plastic tiles and back then in the 80s there wasn't anything like cubesmith where you could easily get replacements.

Why don't you just get some tiles or stickers instead? Unless you really want to spend the money to have it as a collectors item of course.

Does anyone have one of those early rubik's cubes where yellow is next to white?

Early cube's have all kinds of color scheme's. But the white next to yellow you see more on the early cubes and of course the Japan color scheme.

Krazy Jeff

Early cube's have all kinds of color scheme's. But the white next to yellow you see more on the early cubes and of course the Japan color scheme.
Yep, the cube I got (picture attached above) has yellow next to white (though the picture above doesn't show it).

zxmn

sorry for resurrecting old thread..

but.. WTH! :eek: so mine this old cube (belongs to my dad/grandma.. also the first rubiks cube that I played) is the original cube then.. =.="!!! omg..

I thought it was a rip-off cube.. thinking it has no logo, tiles instead of stickers and the colour scheme is a bit weird (white bottom, green front, red right.. the standard rubiks colour scheme is orange right)..

and I even experimented it with this potentially-destorying lube.. (refer to this thread)

oh boy. I better start take good care of this cube.. since of its value..

Pity, I've had mine since probably 1984. The colors are still great, the tension was a bit loose, but I've tighten the screws--finally figured out if I pop the centers there is a screw in there--lol. It sure beats having those with stickers.

how do you pop it?

zxmn

tiles instead of stickers and the colour scheme is a bit weird (white bottom, green front, red right

That's almost certainly a clone.

I thought it was a rip-off cube.. thinking it has no logo,

the rubik's deluxes had a printed logo, so you probably thought right.

Well, looking at http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=1247

The colour scheme match my cube and the pic.. and the logo is also fading away.. and I'm pretty sure mine has faded completely.

Plus, it's not made of cheap plastics.. very sturdy and good quality cube. It was gotten around 1980s as well.. (don't think so there's a clone at that time? lol)

zxmn

coz when I first played with the cube (took it from my grandma's house in london in '97).. it has no logo (or the logo has completed faded).. so I thought the cube does not have any logo.. haha.

I'm not sure when my dad got it.. but according to him.. it should be around not long after rubik's cube was introduced/back in the old days where people around the world were going crazy playing with it.. lol

Last edited: