• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dvorak Keyboard Layout

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
I have dvorak enabled for my keyboard, although I haven't gotten used to it yet. I have qwerty and dvorak both marked on my keyboard, although I just wrote the dvorak letters on in sharpie, so they are wearing off. If you do switch, its probably still a good idea to make sure you aren't too slow on qwerty.

E

Ethan Rosen

I use Dvorak. Remove all the tiles from your keyboard, put them back on in dvorak, change your default input to dvorak, and never turn back.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just switched.
This is taking forever to type.

Good! Stick to it! I never looked back to Qwerty after I switched. In a week, I got back up to my original speed. (I was at ~37wpm when I switched. Now I'm at ~55wpm.)
I did not resticker the keyboard at all. It's all about the muscle memory. Then fingertricks are much nicer on Colemak and Dvorak. Colemak and Dvorak are like 2gen algs, Qwerty is like random not-fingertrick-friendly turns. I'm not sure why, but I always associate Colemak with Roux and Dvorak with Petrus. Learning a better method always increase your speed more than lubing your keyboard.

Last edited:

Spyyder

I used Dvorak for a while, but had problems with some of my games not letting me rebind the keys so switched back to QWERTY.

Tetris Cube

I just switched.
This is taking forever to type.

Good! Stick to it! I never looked back to Qwerty after I switched. In a week, I got back up to my original speed. (I was at ~37wpm when I switched. Now I'm at ~55wpm.)
I did not resticker the keyboard at all. It's all about the muscle memory. Then fingertricks are much nicer on Colemak and Dvorak. Colemak and Dvorak are like 2gen algs, Qwerty is like random not-fingertrick-friendly turns. I'm not sure why, but I always associate Colemak with Roux and Dvorak with Petrus. Learning a better method always increase your speed more than lubing your keyboard.

When I was reading your posts before, I assumed you were a fast typist because you switched... but 55? That really doesn't warrant a switch for me, as I already type over 100 WPM with QWERTY... I max at around 120. My cube average is 45 though, so I suck at that... :(

What you said is true: It's all about the muscle memory. Which is why people can type fast with QWERTY.

And lmao, lubing your keyboard, that made me laugh pretty hard. :D Same with restickering it... what stickers? You're right anyway, replacing the keys wouldn't do anything because if you have to look at the keyboard to type, you're probably not typing over 20 wpm.

I'm sticking with QWERTY because it's familiar and universal. Already way too used to it to ever change. QWERTY FTW!

Zarxrax

I've been thinking about changing to dvorak for years now but still never actually tried it. The thing is, these days I have more than one computer, so it becomes a bigger hassle. I don't know if the keys on my netbook will even come off or not, and I would definitely need to look at the letters (I still look on qwerty from time to time despite using it daily for 15 years.)

Tetris Cube

What's the point of changing to Dvorak anyway? You're really not going to find it outside of your own home if you do decide to switch. Phones, PDAs, and everything in between will have QWERTY. Except those that have A-Z keyboards (*shudders*) those REALLY **** me off. (Edit: God damn it, you can't say the "pee" word)

I would think typing would click for most people after 15 years... but I don't know. Depends how much you use the computer. I'm only 16, and have known the keyboard like the back of my hand for about 4 years or so. Computer games, AIM, and the like train your typing skills pretty well.

E

Ethan Rosen

What's the point of changing to Dvorak anyway? You're really not going to find it outside of your own home if you do decide to switch. Phones, PDAs, and everything in between will have QWERTY. Except those that have A-Z keyboards (*shudders*) those REALLY **** me off. (God damn it, you can't say the "pee" word)

I would think typing would click for most people after 15 years... but I don't know. Depends how much you use the computer. I'm only 16, and have known the keyboard like the back of my hand for about 4 years or so. Computer games, AIM, and the like train your typing skills pretty well.

I use dvorak, and I can,t type on a qwerty keyboard on a computer. I have no problem using it on a phone/ipod though. I don't know why it works that way, probably that the mental layout is different because of the size.

WCA
2008HERR01
What's the point of changing to Dvorak anyway? You're really not going to find it outside of your own home if you do decide to switch. Phones, PDAs, and everything in between will have QWERTY.

Yeah, too many things have QWERTY now. I don't think it's a very good idea to switch (especially if you work at a computer repair company since everyones computers you are fixing will probably have QWERTY ;))

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
QWERTY sucks.

Dunno man, it's becoming quite popular.

It still sucks... it was made for typewriters, not keyboards.

*facepalm*

I'm not an idiot, I know why the layouts are so.

The pros still outweigh the cons - I don't want to have trouble typing on any keyboard that isn't my own, and changing the layout isn't always an option. Unless you're seriously into typing quickly (who is?), it really doesn't make a difference. Due to this, I'd even go so far as to say that qwerty is better than dvorak.

Simply saying 'QWERTY sucks' makes you look foolish.

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01
QWERTY sucks.

Dunno man, it's becoming quite popular.

It still sucks... it was made for typewriters, not keyboards.

*facepalm*

I'm not an idiot, I know why the layouts are so.

The pros still outweigh the cons - I don't want to have trouble typing on any keyboard that isn't my own, and changing the layout isn't always an option. Unless you're seriously into typing quickly (who is?), it really doesn't make a difference. Due to this, I'd even go so far as to say that qwerty is better than dvorak.

Simply saying 'QWERTY sucks' makes you look foolish.

I have to disagree with you on this one, because I believe (I was only told this some time ago, i'm not sure if it's true) that QWERTY was created to actually SLOW people who were using typewriters down, because there were health and wrist issues with many people who were using the former default layout, which I believe was Dvorak.