• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2L Algorithms, How Long?

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

I am currently trying to learn all 42 Friedrich algorithms, and I wanted to know how many I should be learning a day. One a day seemed too slow, then I tried 4 in a day, and that made me go near crazy. So maybe I've already answered my question, but I want to know what you think. Should I force myself to learn them super fast, or should I learn them more leisurely.

RopedBBQ

F2L ALGORITHMS? No, no, no. Try watching video tutorials, you dont NEED to learn algorithms. You can do F2L just with a few cases.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

This is what you need. F2L is not ever ever about algorithms, unless you are crazy. Maybe when you get really fast. But maybe. F2L should and can be intuitive, especially when you start F2L.

And if you are stuck on learning algorithms, try just learning them at your own pace, and when you get fast with the last algorithm you learned, and can remember how to recognize it, then learn another. However I strongly disagree with F2L being about learning algorithms, unless you are using the beginner method.

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried to learn the intuitive way, I've watched badmephisto's and monkeydude1313's guides but for some reason my brain works better with a sequence or combination AKA an algorithm. Though, if its worth it I'll try to learn it that way. Also, just as a note I am using the beginners method right now.

TheCubeElite

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried to learn the intuitive way, I've watched badmephisto's and monkeydude1313's guides but for some reason my brain works better with a sequence or combination AKA an algorithm. Though, if its worth it I'll try to learn it that way. Also, just as a note I am using the beginners method right now.

I thought the same thing, until one day my brain just finally snapped and I new all F2L for some reason. I just randomly understood what to do. Give it time. Learn intuitively.

flan

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES03
I didnt know about intuitive f2l when I learned the algorithms because Dan Harris' book didn't tell me too. The algorithmic method set me back a month or two untill suddenly I could see what the algorithms were doing. I now feel like I'm solving f2l intuitivly. Even with the algorithms once your used to them it doent feel like your blindly applying and algorithm like pll does. It feels like solving the cross or block building feels like...logical. Personally I dont think algorithmic f2l is as bad as its made out to be. But what do I know

frogmanson

Typically, people are gonna tell you to not learn any algs for the standard F2L positions except for a few of the flipped corner cases. Personally I learn algs for the non-standard F2L cases.