• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well how do u recommend doing this. Just did the first picture as of now, and it hurts . I dont have dremel. Sandpaper or blade or scissors or wat?

Dremel(you can buy one surprisingly cheap if you don't go for the best on the market) would be fastest/easiest way of course, but sandpaper type nail file is very good and cheap option too.
That last pictures mod will be very hard to do without a dremel, you could use some type of blade but yeah, it will be slow and painful.
Just doing the first pictures mod makes it better, but you will still have lock ups.
If you aren't ready to buy new tools I would use sandpaper on all spots that are easy to do, like the first pictures mods. Blade on harder spots.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be nice if you could give a link from where should i buy it?
I m not that serious 4x4 cuber, but i believe a 5-10 second modding difference can turn me into one
I bought my dremel from a local shop/cheap hall called Clas Ohlson. Not sure if there are any in India. But my dremel was like a bit over 10€ if I remember correctly.
You should be able to find those in shops that sell some basic electronic tools.

Is this anything you can apply to the 5x5?
To the center pieces or something?
I will get my 5x5 (and 6x6) today so I'll be able to tell you more after doing the basic mods to them. What I've seen from videos they don't seem to lock up that much after modding(?).
I could guess that middle edges might be somewhat moddable, but I won't start doing any mods to them if the cube feels just fine after Florian's mod :)

Last edited:

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this anything you can apply to the 5x5?
To the center pieces or something?
Yes, my russian friend did this thing to his 5x5 before this 4x4 mod was published... he likes it(sub russian NR)

Trying this tonight. With Harvard Spring coming up on Saturday, I really hope it works. I'd really like to cut a few seconds off my time by having very few lock ups
It worked great for me/

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This mod is awesome, even though my cube was already really good, this is improving the cube by a lot.

When I ever meet you at a comp I shout you a beer.
Heh, thanks but I don't drink beer :p I get my reward from people being happy about the mod. I'm sure you feel the same way :)
I just yesterday modded my ss 5x5 based on your video, still gotta work on tensions and such, but I think my main problem is that my turning style is really bad.

What is the best Dremel bit to use for modding? Can someone post a link to a pic?
I have an old Craftsman knock off but no bits.
I used quite rough sandpaper head on my dremel to get the work done faster, except that last picture I had to use smaller metallic head to be able to round that tricky spot.
If you use something very rough, you better be careful not to take too much plastic off.
I never even polished the pieces, but they seem to polish themselfs pretty nicely after some silicone and maru lubing + using the cube.

mati1242

Does your cubes also get more clicky after mod ?
Because I think I do something wrong and my cube is even worse after mod...

Ralinda4

I did it in about 4 hours using sandpaper, and I have to admit it didn't do much although it does feel different now (and not worse!). It's possible that I sanded the pieces too little, and sandpaper definitely wasn't the best tool to use for it. It may also need breaking in more and I need to lube it with lubix at some time in the future, plus it's worth noting that I haven't done the other edge/centre mods that you mentioned so that may affect it.

Despite that, I really enjoyed actually modding it, so it wasn't at all a waste of time. Hopefully it'll get better with time.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did it in about 4 hours using sandpaper, and I have to admit it didn't do much although it does feel different now (and not worse!). It's possible that I sanded the pieces too little, and sandpaper definitely wasn't the best tool to use for it. It may also need breaking in more and I need to lube it with lubix at some time in the future, plus it's worth noting that I haven't done the other edge/centre mods that you mentioned so that may affect it.

Despite that, I really enjoyed actually modding it, so it wasn't at all a waste of time. Hopefully it'll get better with time.
Yes, you should do the Florian's mod too, altho I'd like to try a cube with only internal mod done, but of course I would want a full modded cube if I'm going to cube with it.
I might do the first picture with sandpaper, but wouldn't even dream about trying other spots with it o_O If you have nail file or any kind of smooth file, that would be much better option, but dremel of course is the best one I can think of.
And lubing is always important if you want a cube that moves nicely.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited: