• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou 4x4 and 5x5 mods?

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just finished the mod. Used a nail fail. Took me about 2 hours. Actually not that hard. And the cube doesnt lock up at all, unless my turning is off :p. Great mod.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Florian - why don't you sell pre-modded cubes? You could be the Lubix of big cubes.

I think I remember reading that it took him something like 10 hrs to mod the cube. 10 x $10 is already $100 plus the original cube and shipping. Who is actually willing to pay that? Well me and probably a handful of other people.

BlackStahli

WCA
2011ZENG05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for bumping a 3-month old thread, but I've been searching the forums for an answer.
I did a similar modification on my shengshou 6x6, but after doing so the outer edges started to pop more often.
I tried tightening the core, but an quarter turn more just made it really stiff and hard to turn (I even had dayan springs in it)
I ended up tightening it an eighth turn for each screw. The edges did pop less, but it's kinda slow now.
I'm wondering if doing a similar mod on the shengshou 5x5 would make the edges more prone to popping. So far I've done everything in Florian's video on my 5x5 except for the edges (I left the longest mod for last :p)
So far my 5x5 holds up pretty well to my abuse in the 100 or so solves I did with it since I reassembled it, with only a couple center corner twists and very few lockups. So, if I do the mod on the edges, will the popping rate go up?

Last edited:
WCA
2012ROCK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I just read 9 pages of this thread and just I really want to do this mod. Just want to check my understanding. So first I dissemble it. Replace the screws and spring with dayans. Next take the 4 types of pieces and sand/demel them down to look like a zhanchi. And then lube the core put it back together, tension and done. Please tell me if I am correct.

Also when you do this mod this help it not lock up, faster smoother turning. Because my SS 5x5 is really stiff I loosen it and it's alright it does pop and lock up. When I get to the 3x3 part it takes me about a minute to fully finish it. When I average 23 seconds on my zhanchi. Will this help? Also my SS is not lube right now.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Sorry for bumping a 3-month old thread, but I've been searching the forums for an answer.
I did a similar modification on my shengshou 6x6, but after doing so the outer edges started to pop more often.
I tried tightening the core, but an quarter turn more just made it really stiff and hard to turn (I even had dayan springs in it)
I ended up tightening it an eighth turn for each screw. The edges did pop less, but it's kinda slow now.
I'm wondering if doing a similar mod on the shengshou 5x5 would make the edges more prone to popping. So far I've done everything in Florian's video on my 5x5 except for the edges (I left the longest mod for last :p)
So far my 5x5 holds up pretty well to my abuse in the 100 or so solves I did with it since I reassembled it, with only a couple center corner twists and very few lockups. So, if I do the mod on the edges, will the popping rate go up?

No it won't, your problem might be the tensions, tweak them a bit, it might take a while but it's well worth it in the end.

Hey, I just read 9 pages of this thread and just I really want to do this mod. Just want to check my understanding. So first I dissemble it. Replace the screws and spring with dayans. Next take the 4 types of pieces and sand/demel them down to look like a zhanchi. And then lube the core put it back together, tension and done. Please tell me if I am correct.

Also when you do this mod this help it not lock up, faster smoother turning. Because my SS 5x5 is really stiff I loosen it and it's alright it does pop and lock up. When I get to the 3x3 part it takes me about a minute to fully finish it. When I average 23 seconds on my zhanchi. Will this help? Also my SS is not lube right now.

The springs are optional, I'd only recommend it if you like somewhat loose and 'soft' cubes. Everything else, correct. Yes, this mod makes the 3x3 phase amazing. Remember to lube and break it in, doing this mod does not automatically make the cube great, you've got to work it.

BlackStahli

WCA
2011ZENG05
YouTube
Visit Channel
No it won't, your problem might be the tensions, tweak them a bit, it might take a while but it's well worth it in the end.
Thanks! I tweaked the screws by like 1/32 turns (yeah, hella precise man) until I got to a point where I was satisfied. Now, my ss 6x6 outer edges only pop out when I get really forceful, and it also isn't that slow anymore.

Also, I noticed that reverse corner cutting on my ss 6x6 is so much easier than on my ss 5x5, even after modding the corners and center corners. I did the mod on the wing edges for the 5x5 but I removed maybe half the amount of plastic compared to the amount I removed from the outer edges on my ss 6x6. Do the wing edges influence reverse corner cutting on the 5x5 at all (outer layers)? Also, if I sand down the corner stalks, will it make also make it easier to reverse corner cut? I'm afraid that if I remove some material on the corner stalks the corner will just break in 2 when I try corner cutting with it or something ]:

EDIT: My ss 6x6 can reverse corner cut around half a cubie easily, while my ss 5x5 can only reverse corner cut a third of a cubie, and half the time I try to do that the center corner gets twisted. If I remove extra material on the center corner, will it make them pop out more easily? I did notice a slight increase in the amount of pops since I did the mod...

Haha I sound so paranoid. I don't wanna make my 8-9 hours of modding go to waste :p

Last edited:

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayan springs on shengshou mods

So i just finished my 4x4 and 5x5 mods. I am thinking about changing springs to Dayan. But is this necessary? I want to change it in 5x5 and 6x6, don't know what about 4x4. Is it really make cube better?

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I don't like the feel of the Dayan springs on any of the shengshou cubes. Since the springs are shorter, the cube loses that bouncy feel when turning, the cube will have more speed, but the little corner cutting you can get from them gets lost..

However, I do have changed the stock springs my 4x4 and 5x5 had, I bought some c4y springs, put them into 2 dayan 3x3s and those dayan springs went to a mf8 megaminx whose springs were then put into the SS 4x4 and 5x5.. All puzzles are great now..