• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I be getting faster?

WCA
2010STIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now, I usually get 32.xx Ao5's of 3x3x3. A while ago, when I was timing myself, I was using Keyhole and 2 Look OLL/2 Look PLL, and, the cube I'm using is a TaiYan II Black.. I've been practicing Intuitive, but I'm getting lazy and don't want to learn 1 Look. Would it be worthwhile? What would make me faster? Just a heaping f*cking pile of practice?

Innocence

Right now, I usually get 32.xx Ao5's of 3x3x3. A while ago, when I was timing myself, I was using Keyhole and 2 Look OLL/2 Look PLL, and, the cube I'm using is a TaiYan II Black.. I've been practicing Intuitive, but I'm getting lazy and don't want to learn 1 Look. Would it be worthwhile? What would make me faster? Just a heaping f*cking pile of practice?

Definitely intuitive f2l, but you definitely don't need to learn 1-look anything for now. Maybe learn some easier plls.

And yes, a heaping ****ing pile of practice.

Slowpoke22

WCA
2005ALBR01
Practice. Not so much just doing solves over and over, but more like studying. Turn slowly so you can look for the next F2L pairs. Some say intuitive F2L is better, though I just know the 41 algs (usually just from one or two angles, which I think is the disadvantage there). Learn PLL, but still use 2-look OLL for a while because 57 algs is a lot to learn. A lot of times you'll get stuck at a time barrier, and then *poof* it's like your practice pays off and before you know it you're a few sec faster than before.

I'm sub-20 now, but just barely. I was stuck at 23ish for a looong time. That difference mostly just came from being told that slow-turning solves are faster than fast-turning solves (look ahead).

EDIT: However, do notice, I was 35ish avg 5 years ago, so on average I've only improved a few seconds each year. Hence the name...slowpoke. Hopefully your progress is much quicker. :)

Last edited:

DaBear

yea practice is all that will work till you're like sub-25 or so.....i just got back into cubing in january and have since dropped my times by 20 secs(granted i was over a minute when i started).....1 look will shave maybe a couple seconds off your times(depending on your alg speed), but wont be worthwhile till you're lower

AndyRoo789

Premium Member
You could get faster just by improving your f2l, but if you really wanna get faster, I reckon you should just start learning full PLL now, then full OLL straight after.

If you learn them now, you won't have to learn them later.
You can always split your cubing time into parts; learning algs, and practicing.

Innocence

Just a heaping f*cking pile of practice?

Practice and look ahead thats all.

And yes, a heaping ****ing pile of practice.

Practice.

yea practice

and practicing.

Do a heaping ****ing load of practice and you'll get better.

I seem to detect a common theme.

Last edited:

abctoshiro

practice...12 hours a day, don't eat, never sleep. that's how i got down from 1 minute to 40-ish seconds in 3 days. =P

Parity

Get to sub 20, I am almost sub 15 and I still don't know 1 look anything,

AngeL

QUALITY practice is what's important. Mindlessly solving the cube for 12 hours will do nothing but increase your turning speed. Slow down and focus on looking ahead to the next step and your times will drop. Someone with low turning speed and great look ahead will beat fast fingers with no lookahead every time.

You're better off solving the cube 5 times and really paying attention and focusing than solving 500 times mindlessly.