Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me answer a girls invite to a dance.

Default Help me answer a girls invite to a dance.

My high school is having its yearly "sweethearts" dance soon and I just got asked. The only problem is that where I live, Utah, when a guy or girl asks someone to go to a dance they dont just ask them like a normal person would, they have to do something really big and cheesy such as saran wrap their car, mess up their bedroom or something nuts like that. Along with this they have some cheesy question that correlates with how they are asking them and asks them if they will go to the dance. Now I am supposed to answer back, but of course it has to be cheesy as well.

This is how I was asked...

I was sitting at home enjoying my evening when suddenly my doorbell rang. I got up to answer it, no one was there. On the ground there was some candy, a note, and a scrambled rubiks cube 3x3x3(now you see why i am asking for help here )
    The note said "Dear Josh(thats me)... I have a question for you... Do what you do best to find out what it is..." On the cube she had written "will you go to sweethearts with me?. Obviously I could have seen that without solving it but I solved it anyway just to humor her, and myself.

First off, can anyone help think up a way that I could respond to her(saying yes) as I am absolutly no good at this cheesy stuff and am at a total loss for ideas. I would really like to hear from some women cubers because you are more likely to know what a girl would like, but I am open to any and all ideas you all have.

Secondly, I really hate dances. The only reason I am willing to go is that I am really good friends with this girl and could not for the life of me tell her no. The moment i got the cube and read the word sweethearts on it, my stomach lurched and I have been feeling a little uneasy ever since. I just need some advice on perhaps some proper dance etiquette or anything like that so that I don't look like any more of a fool that I already will.

The sooner anyone can give me advice the better because it just so happens that I was asked tonight and tomorrow night I am going over to this girls house to hang out. I had already planned to hang out with her before I was asked and now that she has asked me to the dance I have a feeling its going to be an elephant in the room. Should I even bring it up while i am there or should I just play it off like nothing ever happened until I can think of a way to respond?

Again all advice is welcome. (man i just keep feeling more and more uneasy as I think about it.)

EDIT: She is not into solving twisty puzzles so I dont really want to answer her with anything cube related. The cube ideas so far have been great but it just wouldn't be special to her.
    Last edited by skwishy; 01-24-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    3x3: PB Single: 27.08(22.4 - Hand scrambled)
    3x3: PB Avg: 32.64 --- FIGHT MY BRUTE -->http://skwirmy.mybrute.com

WCA Profile
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube
    masterNZ

Aww man this could be fun. Ok so I vote you take her to a mall stand up in like the middle of a crowd with a cube, and say "IF I SOLVE THIS CUBE IN XX AMOUNT OF TIME I WILL GO TO THE DANCE WITH HER" (XX is some number that is easy for you to achieve). This way, you look cool, and everyone knows you're going with her.
    As for dancing, I recommend not standing on her feet.
    (11:03:38 AM) Dene: killermanp0: btw do you know what "EG" stands for?
    (11:04:28 AM) killermanp0: yeah
    (11:04:34 AM) killermanp0: Erik and Guimmoind

lol, you know that is brilliant. I am definitely going to mull that one over a bit. Thanks for the advice. If anymore come to mind please share.

YouTube
    unksoul

Quote Originally Posted by Dene View Post
    "IF I SOLVE THIS CUBE IN XX AMOUNT OF TIME I WILL GO TO THE DANCE WITH HER" (XX is some number that is easy for you to achieve)
    If you're doing that, do a planned solve

WCA Profile
    2007LOGA01

"Yes" on a Rubik's Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Now that is a bit more my speed, I am not shy by any means, but I do prefer to keep to myself so this sounds more appealing than shouting in a mall lol (although I do like the idea and am very tempted)

The only problem is I don't know if she even knows what a rubik's magic is so it may not make much sense to her.

Quote Originally Posted by skwishy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Now that is a bit more my speed, I am not shy by any means, but I do prefer to keep to myself so this sounds more appealing than shouting in a mall lol (although I do like the idea and am very tempted)

The only problem is I don't know if she even knows what a rubik's magic is so it may not make much sense to her.
    I could never shout that I can solve a rubik's cube quickly at a mall. Most people would think you're insane, and not in the good way.

The magic is a good idea, or if she's into cubing, give her a disassembled cube with your reply on it (solved, of course) or do a not 3x3x3 cube, but come up with a cheesy reason why.
    You'll Roux the Day you learned Fridrich.
    Current Progress with Roux - 54.46 (20 seconds away from old times)

How did she write on the cube? One letter per cubie? Maybe you could scramle it in a way to get the letters Y-E-S on one side, and return it to her.

WCA Profile
    2010YUPH01
    YouTube
    asmallkitten

Why would you go to a dance if you don't enjoy dances? Since she is your "good friend", maybe she will understand? Because it's just plain selfish to ask you to do something when she knows that you don't enjoy it.

Don't take me seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    How did she write on the cube? One letter per cubie? Maybe you could scramle it in a way to get the letters Y-E-S on one side, and return it to her.
    It was one word per sticker, all on just one side. It was the 8 word question and then she filled in the 9th cube with her name. ( good thing too, because otherwise I wouldnt know who to respond too )

Quote Originally Posted by a small kitten View Post
    Why would you go to a dance if you don't enjoy dances? Since she is your "good friend", maybe she will understand? Because it's just plain selfish to ask you to do something when she knows that you don't enjoy it.

Don't take me seriously though.
    That did cross my mind, but I just couldn't do that to this girl. She has got to be the nicest girl I have ever met, not to mention that she is by far one of the cutest and It would be stupid of me not to go.
    Last edited by skwishy; 01-23-2009 at 09:32 PM.