• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A deep cut puzzle is a puzzle in which any turn affects all faces of the cube, so for example skewb is a deep cut puzzle because a turn swaps edges or corners or both on all faces

I'm not sure I understand.

This MF8 Starminx II is called deep cut too, but as I can see, it contains three layers, and turning the top side does not affect the bottom side.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I'm not sure I understand.

This MF8 Starminx II is called deep cut too, but as I can see, it contains three layers, and turning the top side does not affect the bottom side.

No no no, a deep cut puzzle is a puzzle where the cuts divide the puzzle into 2 groups of identical pieces. For example, the 2x2 and skewb are deep cut. The Mf8 starminx isn't deep cut actually, not sure why they called it that.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No no no, a deep cut puzzle is a puzzle where the cuts divide the puzzle into 2 groups of identical pieces. For example, the 2x2 and skewb are deep cut. The Mf8 starminx isn't deep cut actually, not sure why they called it that.

Well, I have a guess:

So this is the Starminx.

The Starminx I, as you can see here, has the same lines and outlook, but turning a side is further from the center.

However, in te case of Starminx II, turning a side is deeper, affects more elements.

That's why I thought the definition of a deep cut is something like this, turning a side is somehow deeper than the shallow cut version.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Well, I have a guess:

So this is the Starminx.

The Starminx I, as you can see here, has the same lines and outlook, but turning a side is further from the center.

However, in te case of Starminx II, turning a side is deeper, affects more elements.

That's why I thought the definition of a deep cut is something like this, turning a side is somehow deeper than the shallow cut version.

Those 2 puzzles are fundamentally different. One is corner turning and the other is face turning. You can't really compare the depth of the two.

The best analog to compare the face turning starminx with is the megaminx.

Status
Not open for further replies.