• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WD-40(!!!) actually works really well to remove particularly tough sticker goo. Just make sure to spray it on a paper towel or whatever and not on your cube, or else it could seep in and do some damage. Also, make sure to clean off the WD-40 afterwards before applying new stickers. Thats how I've stickered all my cubes so far, and they stay on wonderfully.

How can I make CubeExplorer find an algorithm to go from one state to another?
For example, I want to go from "Cube in a cube" pattern to "Checkerboard" pattern, using one optimal algorithm.

You want a maneuver M such that CiC*M =CB. This is equivalent to (CB^-1*CiC)*M = Solved.
So you have to solve CB^-1*CiC in Cube Explorer.
1. Enter the Checkerboard Pattern (CB) into the facelet editor and press add and solve. Now you have the Checkerboard pattern in the Main window.
2. Right click on the checkerboard pattern in the main window and select "Invert permutation". Now you have CB^-1 in the main window.
3. Enter the Cube in the Cube (CiC) pattern in the facelet editor.
4. Now right click the pattern in the Main window again and select "Multiply with facelet editor cube". Now you have CB^-1*CiC in the main windows.
5. Now solve this position and the result is what you want.

Last edited:

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You want a maneuver M such that CiC*M =CB. This is equivalent to (CB^-1*CiC)*M = Solved.
So you have to solve CB^-1*CiC in Cube Explorer.
1. Enter the Checkerboard Pattern (CB) into the facelet editor and press add and solve. Now you have the Checkerboard pattern in the Main window.
2. Right click on the checkerboard pattern in the main window and select "Invert permutation". Now you have CB^-1 in the main window.
3. Enter the Cube in the Cube (CiC) pattern in the facelet editor.
4. Now right click the pattern in the Main window again and select "Multiply with facelet editor cube". Now you have CB^-1*CiC in the main windows.
5. Now solve this position and the result is what you want.

Wow! I wasn't expecting for the creator of CubeExplorer to reply!
Thanks, really, this way is much easier.

YouTube
Visit Channel
IMPORTANT!
Is it required to know PLLs from multiple angles?
For example, I do F perm keeping the bar in left, but sometime after doing the OLL, the bar is in right hand side and then I do U2 to fix it and do the normal f perm keeping in mind that after doing f perm I dont have to AUF it. If I have to AUF, then I do y2 and do the f perm. It wastes time a lot so do you think all plls should be learnt from multiple angels. If not multiples angles, then from 2 angles, the normal one and y2 angle? Also, how do you fingertrick this alg: F r2 R' U2 r U' r' U2 l R U' R' U r2 u' . A video would be great.
Thanks for any help I get :D

EDIT:
Wait ..srsly i thought nail polish remover is actetone
IDK, but it works great. I also dont get goo gone or stuff so it is the first thing that came to my mind. It started sort of as an experiment at first. But I dont do it now as I am sticker neutral (if thats the term). I just solve the cube as it is. I dont change the stickers. My eyes kind of get sets to the new colour scheme after like an AO50 :p

Assuming 60 moves per solve (which is a little over average for CFOP), for sub 20, you need greater than 3 TPS. So 3 TPS is a good estimate.
o_O My solves are generally 70 moves per solve? What is the average for a CFOP solve? I gues it is 70 moves because I use 2 look OLL :p

Last edited:

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
IMPORTANT!
For example, I do F perm keeping the bar in left, but sometime after doing the OLL, the bar is in right hand side and then I do U2 to fix it and do the normal f perm keeping in mind that after doing f perm I dont have to AUF it. If I have to AUF, then I do y2 and do the f perm. It wastes time a lot so do you think all plls should be learnt from multiple angels. If not multiples angles, then from 2 angles, the normal one and y2 angle?

It's not necessary to lean that but many fast cubers know (some) PLLs from multiple angles. U perms are the first one to start with if you want to learn.

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not necessary to lean that but many fast cubers know (some) PLLs from multiple angles. U perms are the first one to start with if you want to learn.
I already know the U perms, I thought that other plls might also need multiple angles. Also, I edited the post above, so take a look at it again :)

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
IMPORTANT!
For example, I do F perm keeping the bar in left, but sometime after doing the OLL, the bar is in right hand side and then I do U2 to fix it and do the normal f perm keeping in mind that after doing f perm I dont have to AUF it. If I have to AUF, then I do y2 and do the f perm. It wastes time a lot so do you think all plls should be learnt from multiple angels. If not multiples angles, then from 2 angles, the normal one and y2 angle? Also, how do you fingertrick this alg: F r2 R' U2 r U' r' U2 l R U' R' U r2 u' . A video would be great.
No clue how to fingertrick. Sorry. Another useful PLL to know from 2 angles is the Gc perm.
EDIT: Z, J, R perms too.

IDK, but it works great. I also dont get goo gone or stuff so it is the first thing that came to my mind. It started sort of as an experiment at first. But I dont do it now as I am sticker neutral (if thats the term). I just solve the cube as it is. I dont change the stickers. My eyes kind of get sets to the new colour scheme after like an AO50 :p
Acetone will dissolve plastic. Don't use it too much.

o_O My solves are generally 70 moves per solve? What is the average for a CFOP solve? I gues it is 70 moves because I use 2 look OLL :p
Maybe. Well, 70 moves, 70/20=3.5TPS which is not that far off from 3 TPS anyway so yeah.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
IMPORTANT!

:)

and to answer your question, only learn different angles if they're good algs.
U perm is a great example, since normal and y2 angles are both great algs.

I know 2 angles for V perm, but they're right and left hand mirrors (not even y2 away from each other)
i know only 1 angle for all the G perms, but the ones that start with the RUR' trigger or something like that can start from the y2 angle if you do like LU'L instead and rotate the other way. just something to keep in mind.
J perms have great reverse angle algs so you can learn those too. plus they're easy to recognize. maybe just L perm (lefty J perm) you can use a reverse angle if you like, but for the normal J perm it's super fast so you can just keep that.
T perm just 1 angle, i would never want to learn a different T perm.
i know 4 angles for each A perm so i just AUF and go! but that's a bit ridiculous and i only do that because i can do them at the same speed with my right and left hand. generally, you should know 2 angles for each A perm since they're all super easy.

i have 2 angles for Y perm (one of them is the OH alg with my other hand, which is a weird thing)
and lastly i have 2 angles for one of the R perms.

also, don't do y2 instead of AUF. just AUF.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Same; I average ~5 TPS and I average 14-14.5, so about 70 moves for me. I use 2-look OLL about half the time.

About PLLs from other angles: it is helpful, but not necessary. Imo, full OLL is more important. However, there are some very easy PLLs to learn from other angles, so you could learn them if you wanted to.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Same; I average ~5 TPS and I average 14-14.5, so about 70 moves for me. I use 2-look OLL about half the time.

About PLLs from other angles: it is helpful, but not necessary. Imo, full OLL is more important. However, there are some very easy PLLs to learn from other angles, so you could learn them if you wanted to.

I was wondering about the 70 move thing so i reconstructed an average of 5 (in HTM)

46 (PLL skip)

Maybe I got lucky because I was expecting 60 moves or so, but none of the solves felt unordinary (except the last one).
Maybe it's the 1-look OLL?

This means I'm at ~4 TPS wtf

edit: 59, 59, 59, 59, 59
wtf...
45 moves + T perm (14)
then 47 moves + G perm (12) no AUF
then 46 moves + AUF (1) + U Perm (11) + AUF (1)
then 47 moves + AUF (1) + U Perm (11)

and each one had a different OLL

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZljzmS8_8

:)

and to answer your question, only learn different angles if they're good algs.
U perm is a great example, since normal and y2 angles are both great algs.

I know 2 angles for V perm, but they're right and left hand mirrors (not even y2 away from each other)
i know only 1 angle for all the G perms, but the ones that start with the RUR' trigger or something like that can start from the y2 angle if you do like LU'L instead and rotate the other way. just something to keep in mind.
J perms have great reverse angle algs so you can learn those too. plus they're easy to recognize. maybe just L perm (lefty J perm) you can use a reverse angle if you like, but for the normal J perm it's super fast so you can just keep that.
T perm just 1 angle, i would never want to learn a different T perm.
i know 4 angles for each A perm so i just AUF and go! but that's a bit ridiculous and i only do that because i can do them at the same speed with my right and left hand. generally, you should know 2 angles for each A perm since they're all super easy.

i have 2 angles for Y perm (one of them is the OH alg with my other hand, which is a weird thing)
and lastly i have 2 angles for one of the R perms.

also, don't do y2 instead of AUF. just AUF.
:D :D :D :D :D I just cant Thank You enough :) I love you calming voice and your gentlemen behavior! Added to my favourites! You username suits you.
I didnt think of that M' in the begining of the alg, that makes it a little bit fast that doing that R'. For T perm, I use the lefty version for y2.
Thanks a lot though. With some practice I can do sub 2 by tomorrow :)

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was wondering about the 70 move thing so i reconstructed an average of 5 (in HTM)

46 (PLL skip)

Maybe I got lucky because I was expecting 60 moves or so, but none of the solves felt unordinary (except the last one).

wtf...
45 moves + T perm (14)

I seem to be averaging a bit less than 60... maybe my TPS is less than I thought it was. I seem to get around 5 whenever I reconstruct, but then I do only reconstruct my best solves, so maybe that is going to be a bit higher than usual...

YouTube
Visit Channel

46 (PLL skip)

wtf...
45 moves + T perm (14)

What do you normally average?

Status
Not open for further replies.