• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm really interested in getting into Roux. I feel like I don't have good intuition abilities with the cube, and I feel like block building might help me with that. Plus, I'm just interested in learning another method. At the moment, because I really have no idea how to go about "switching" (really, just learning, since I don't really want to leave CFOP forever) from CFOP to Roux, I have been doing a method that goes something like Block 1 - Block 2 - Corners - EO - FD and BD Permutation - PLL in order to cushion my introduction to Roux. Are there any better suggestions for transition?

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
I'm really interested in getting into Roux. I feel like I don't have good intuition abilities with the cube, and I feel like block building might help me with that. Plus, I'm just interested in learning another method. At the moment, because I really have no idea how to go about "switching" (really, just learning, since I don't really want to leave CFOP forever) from CFOP to Roux, I have been doing a method that goes something like Block 1 - Block 2 - Corners - EO - FD and BD Permutation - PLL in order to cushion my introduction to Roux. Are there any better suggestions for transition?

I'd say just go all-in; it's not meant to be easy ;). EO is the hardest step to learn of LSE anyway, so if you are already doing that, finishing the rest Roux-style shouldn't be too difficult. In fact, I'd say the part of Roux you've left out is actually the easiest part of the method ^_^

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say just go all-in; it's not meant to be easy ;). EO is the hardest step to learn of LSE anyway, so if you are already doing that, finishing the rest Roux-style shouldn't be too difficult. In fact, I'd say the part of Roux you've left out is actually the easiest part of the method ^_^

…Really? I mean, EO, as far as what SirWaffle's website shows me, is basically just a few algorithms. Then again, I'm just learning all of the direct algorithms. Does everyone seriously do cycling? I'm pretty good at recognition and learning algs (considering that I started doing this about 30 minutes ago), so I'd much rather do direct algs.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
…Really? I mean, EO, as far as what SirWaffle's website shows me, is basically just a few algorithms. Then again, I'm just learning all of the direct algorithms. Does everyone seriously do cycling? I'm pretty good at recognition and learning algs (considering that I started doing this about 30 minutes ago), so I'd much rather do direct algs.

In many cases, the cycling approach will result in the same moves used as the direct alg approach. However, understanding EO in terms of the cycling approach allows you to be more flexible and in various cases do such things as replacing certain U moves with U', or replacing certain M' moves with M, and so on in order to influence the positioning of the UL/UR edges needed in step 4b. You can often force a 4b "skip" during EO by doing this, or at the very least make it so 4b will be easier.

Conclusion: understanding cycling is not necessary for slow, casual solving, but is a very useful tool for getting more efficient (which is what Roux is all about).

No matter what you do for EO, though, 4b and 4c are still quite easy. :)

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In many cases, the cycling approach will result in the same moves used as the direct alg approach.

What is cycling?

And yeah, EO is just a few cases and algorithms in the beginning. Later you can merge 4a and 4b usually, because the most common EO case (3 wrong top, 1 wrong bottom) has 4 different solutions (UL+UF+UR+DF = M' U M or M' U' M or M U M' or M U' M', the y2-mirror case is similar), and most of the time one of them helps 4b better then the other three. All the other EO cases bring you to this case with <M,U> moves.

pewpewrawr

What is cycling?

I think cycling is just the term for intuitive edge orientation. Like when you get a 2-flip and you have to "cycle" the edges to turn it into a 4-flip, then you "cycle" them again to complete the orientation. I was never too clear on what the term meant either.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I go to a comp, give my cube to the examiner for scrambline. He has oily hands and puts oil all over cube so before solving can I wipe it off? Or I have to do in inspection time, or get a bad solve caus of oily cube?
I am oil sensitive and can feel little oil like 10% on my cube (my parents have oily hands)

Amress

WCA
2013RAVI06
I haven't done OH for a while now, and I just started doing OH again. I was averaging low 17s, but now I decided to start practicing for nats... and im averaging 19. For those of you who have taken long breaks from an event, is there anything you do besides solving to get re-adjusted? I just want to get back to low 17s by nats so that I don't get a fail average.

Bhargav777

OH friendly please
WCA
2011NARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, Vincent is right. It's also explicitly mentioned in the regulation guidelines
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/guidelines.html#H1d+

But wasnt the previous regulation something like, +2 in more than one fine is dnf? And someone had asked in some other thread about removing that rule? Or am I wrong?

I haven't done OH for a while now, and I just started doing OH again. I was averaging low 17s, but now I decided to start practicing for nats... and im averaging 19. For those of you who have taken long breaks from an event, is there anything you do besides solving to get re-adjusted? I just want to get back to low 17s by nats so that I don't get a fail average.

Just try to reduce the pauses whole you solve and go slow. Also drill your plls everyday for 3-4 days, either before you practice or after you practice. You should be back on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.