• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I live in Uruguay, and shipping costs are relatively high. I'm thinking about buying a DIY from C4U. Which type of cube do you recommend as my first speed cube?.
I now own a Rubik's brand storebought and it's making me slower.

EDIT: I'm poor, so price matters... A LOT!

Linky!

Also, is there any real reason why Old Pochmann is done edges first? Surely it could be done the other way around.

PEZenfuego

In your OPINION: How fast do you have to be to be considered a speedcuber AND how fast do you have to be before you should consider buying a diy.

PEZenfuego

I live in Uruguay, and shipping costs are relatively high. I'm thinking about buying a DIY from C4U. Which type of cube do you recommend as my first speed cube?.
I now own a Rubik's brand storebought and it's making me slower.

EDIT: I'm poor, so price matters... A LOT!

Linky!

Also, is there any real reason why Old Pochmann is done edges first? Surely it could be done the other way around.

No, you can do pochmann corners before edges if you want. I've done it like this a few times (I suck at blind). Do the R perm just the same for parity. If you don't use pochmann for corners, just make sure to consider parity beforehand.

miniGOINGS

Been going through my head for a while now: how are there only 493 ZBLL cases (1 is solved)? I get 12 edge permutations per COLL, 40 COLLs, and 21 PLLs. 12 * 40 + 21 = 501.

I've thought of any ways edge cycles could overlap, and I got a reduction on 2 H sets with U2. That eliminates 1 U * 4 positions + 1 Z per case, or 10 algs. But that would yield 491 algs.

Also, for those cases, you would have to recognize that a U2 is needed, making it, in reality, another case.

Why are there only 493 ZBLL cases?

There are 40 COLL'S, 38 of them are not double symetric. Twelve EPLL's * 38 equals 456. The other 2 COLL's have 8 EPLL's, so 16. This added to the 456 equals 472. Plus the 21 PLL's we get 493 cases plus 1 solved for a total of 494.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In your OPINION: How fast do you have to be to be considered a speedcuber AND how fast do you have to be before you should consider buying a diy.

I'm pretty sure I saw some article on the web that said a speed cuber was considered an average under 20, but I would consider anyone under 25. I'd think you should get a DIY at the time you feel ready, some people use storeboughts as they're main speed cube though.

WCA
2009ROAC01
My DX order came, and unfortunately parts of the centers of my QJ megaminx arrived broken. Should I bother with the return process for this 9$ puzzle, or try to glue the pieces together myself?
@cyrus: If you want a magic from Cube4you, you will have to get one through rubikfans, his eBay store. Cube4you has not had them in stock for a long time.

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My DX order came, and unfortunately parts of the centers of my QJ megaminx arrived broken. Should I bother with the return process for this 9$ puzzle, or try to glue the pieces together myself?
@cyrus: If you want a magic from Cube4you, you will have to get one through rubikfans, his eBay store. Cube4you has not had them in stock for a long time.

Email DX customer service. They will probably send a few centers to you;)

CyberMonkey

how do you order a cubesmith order from prizerebel(im not advertising)
i gave them the link to the cart but they said they want the links to the items but there isn't a link for each item?
what should i do?
ty

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
how do you order a cubesmith order from prizerebel(im not advertising)
i gave them the link to the cart but they said they want the links to the items but there isn't a link for each item?
what should i do?
ty
Cubesmith really isn't all that expensive. Couldn't you use your points (or whatever they use on that site) for something else?

Kxg

If the cube ends up in this state, is it considered as DNF?

I believe even this wouldn't be DNF:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5175/dsc00879bg.jpg

However, this would:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1466/dsc00880by.jpg

Incorrect. Both are DNF. Your puzzle is not complete.

10d) All pieces of a puzzle must be fully attached to the puzzle, and in their required positions. Exceptions: see Article 5 Puzzle defects.

5a) Puzzle defects are defects of puzzles, like: pieces popping, wires breaking, screws/caps/stickers falling off.

5b5) If, after the solve, non functional parts of the puzzle are still defect (like a centre cap of a cube) or not fully rotated (like a 5x5x5 centre piece twisted in its spot), but the puzzle is otherwise unambiguously solved, the puzzle is considered solved. (discretion of the main judge)

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

However, this would:

5b5) If, after the solve, non functional parts of the puzzle are still defect (like a centre cap of a cube) or not fully rotated (like a 5x5x5 centre piece twisted in its spot), but the puzzle is otherwise unambiguously solved, the puzzle is considered solved. (discretion of the main judge)

You could've finished the solve with two twisted corners with the first image, and a J perm with the second, surely?

Kxg

However, this would:

You could've finished the solve with two twisted corners with the first image, and a J perm with the second, surely?

Oops, yeah. Forgot the corners in first one. Put one corner in and it's solved.

Obviously second one could be variety of things (edges flipped, corners flipped, j perm, mixture etc.). That's why I said it's not solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.