• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got a new Dayan 2x2. It seemed a little slow so I put some Lubix in the core and a little on between the pieces. I also had to tighten the tensions a little bit because it was so loose that the pieces kept popping. The pieces feel like they are sticking on each other. When I turn slow it will move, catch, move, catch. DOes this need more lube, different lube, or it is just Dayan 2x2s?....or something else?

Edit: I'm comparing it to a Shengshou which is butter-y smooth but lacks reverse corner cutting

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it advisable to use the same method of OH and 2H?
Yes; practising your 2H method one-handed, where you are forced to turn slower, can help with lookahead. Plus you already know more about your 2H method, so you'll find it easier to use it for OH too.
However, people do use different methods for 2H and OH: this is also fine. Often they use ZZ for OH and CFOP/Roux for 2H, because the F2L is much easier (no y rotations) and... I don't know much about Roux OH, but iirc there is a Roux user on this forum who uses ZZ for OH, so there's probably an advantage. However, obviously lookahead would be harder, so ultimately it's up to you.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it advisable to use the same method of OH and 2H?

Yes, there aren't many extremely fast people who use ZZ for OH and CFOP for 2H. If you're talking about different LL methods, or partial COL, there are some people who do that. I personally use a slightly different LL method, basically if I have an OLL I don't know, I do the first step of 2 look OLL, except I also permute the corners (in one alg), so the cube can be solved entirely 2 gen. Plus, if you only know a few algs, you have a 1/12 chance of a PLL skip. Then for the F2L pairs on the left, I will sometimes put the cross on the left.

If you're just starting out, use the exact same method though.

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
Yes, there aren't many extremely fast people who use ZZ for OH and CFOP for 2H. If you're talking about different LL methods, or partial COL, there are some people who do that. I personally use a slightly different LL method, basically if I have an OLL I don't know, I do the first step of 2 look OLL, except I also permute the corners (in one alg), so the cube can be solved entirely 2 gen. Plus, if you only know a few algs, you have a 1/12 chance of a PLL skip. Then for the F2L pairs on the left, I will sometimes put the cross on the left.

If you're just starting out, use the exact same method though.

That is actually a great idea, I've never heard of using a corner-permuting 1st-look and then 2-gen. Is there a name / resource for the 1st look algs?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any way to see if you have any infraction points?

That is actually a great idea, I've never heard of using a corner-permuting 1st-look and then 2-gen. Is there a name / resource for the 1st look algs?

Yeah, CPEOLL is really cool, it's great for intermediate cubers (like me) who don't know full OLL. Actually, if you want to use it, you can basically get two "sets" out of the way by just remembering that for the pure CP cases, you use the sune variant, and for the diagswap cases, just use the 6-mover. (fruruf or fururf) I personally didn't learn the edges oriented cases or the dot cases.

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any way to see if you have any infraction points?
Click 'My Profile' at the top, then click Infractions. Add up the points of the ones that haven't yet expired. I've never had any points, so I don't know whether something saying your total points appears once you get any or not.
Yeah, CPEOLL is really cool, it's great for intermediate cubers (like me) who don't know full OLL. Actually, if you want to use it, you can basically get two "sets" out of the way by just remembering that for the pure CP cases, you use the sune variant, and for the diagswap cases, just use the 6-mover. (fruruf or fururf) I personally didn't learn the edges oriented cases or the dot cases.
Yeah, I jut took a look, and I know 2/3 of them already. The diagonal edges oriented case is very easy to learn: it's just R' U' J perm (with out the last one or two moves).

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Click 'My Profile' at the top, then click Infractions. Add up the points of the ones that haven't yet expired. I've never had any points, so I don't know whether something saying your total points appears once you get any or not.

Hmm, I don't have anything that says infractions when I go to "My profile." Where on the page is it? I'm on Safari with the default forum skin.

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard somethings, I don't know where, but somewhere, that stickerless cubes might be allowed in competitions soon. Is this true? Are they working on possibly adding stickerless cubes to competitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.