Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help to get sub-30 average

Default Help to get sub-30 average

I've been speed cubing for 2 months now, using the Fridrich's method. I just got a sub-40 average like 2 weeks ago, and now I'm trying to get sub-30 average. I've been following a guide somewhere on this forum (I got the link from the wiki) to get a sub-15 average. I've learned 21 cases of PLL but still I can't get a sub-30 average.

Cross+F2L is around 20 seconds average, and the rest (around 15 seconds) for the last layer. So do I improve my F2L, my last layer, or I just need to get a DIY cube, because I'm currently using a cube I bought from Toys 'R Us, lubricated with silicon spray. It tends to get stuck when cutting corners, and it doesn't turn that fast .
    Rubik's Cube
    Single :18.80 Average of 5 :22.65

WCA Profile
    2008HALL02

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcake View Post
    So do I improve my F2L, my last layer, or I just need to get a DIY cube
    And why can't you do all of those?

Just practice, read around yourself if you need to. 2 months is nothing by the way, to think you went from 40 seconds to 33 seconds in ~2 weeks... you shouldn't be worried about sub-30, it will happen.

WCA Profile
    2008WARL01
    YouTube
    2007JTW

Get a diy and work on lookahead. I will say no more.
    M2. Again and again and again.

WCA Profile
    2010YUPH01
    YouTube
    asmallkitten

But while you still have your storebought you can work on stuff like recognition. That is what usually slows people down if they take more than two steps for last layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    So do I improve my F2L, my last layer, or I just need to get a DIY cube
    And why can't you do all of those?
    I've been trying to do that, but it never improved. So I wonder is it the cube that's limiting my speed, or I just need to practice more on F2L and PLL. xD I guess I just need to practice using my store bought cube, because I don't think I can buy a DIY cube, since I have to get it from the Internet (I have never bought anything on the Internet, and I don't think my parents will allow me to T.T).
    Last edited by Fishcake; 01-02-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake
    Rubik's Cube
    Single :18.80 Average of 5 :22.65

WCA Profile
    2009BOAR01

15 seconds for the Last Layer? That really doesn't too well.

Recognition and Execution. Practice, Practice.

WCA Profile
    2008HALL02

So I wonder is it the cube that's limiting my speed, or I just need to practice more on F2L and PLL.
    Well they all will help. You cant point to a specific area that can be improved and think that its the only way to get faster. DIY cubes can help lower your times a little bit, but there isn't some 30 second limit on storebought cubes, and also don't expect to automatically get sub-30 second averages right when you get your first DIY. If you have no way of getting a DIY, then just keep practicing everything on your store cube. By the way, I think they usually sell DIY's at competitions, so if you're really unable to order anything from the internet, maybe check around for a nearby competition in the next few months: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/...mpetitions.php If you went that route I'd suggest getting in contact with an event organizer before you go to make sure that they will have DIY's for sale.

I'm averaging at 45 seconds now... so I don't know if you'll consider what I give you some advice. But this stuff certainly helped me. BTW, i haven't began learning PLL or OLL yet... I just do it old fashioned way... as in no 4look or 3 look. So I'm just practicing my F2L untill I can get it in sub20.

Anyway. This is helping me right now

Recognition-Recognizing which case I have for the F2l from all angles
    Intelligence-As in knowing what moves to make inorder to solve a f2l pair.
    Looking ahead-So I know which case I have next
    Fluency-So I'm not solving too fast inwhich I don't know what case I have

All this has helped. Once I get the f2l in sub 20.. I'll move to OLL and PLL, then once I learn that... I'm gonna jump to multi-slotting and hopefully get sub20 alltogether

Just... practice. Simple as that. Practice a lot. And it isn't your cube, there are plenty of things you can do to make it better.
    3x3 Best Single: 32.43 (27.34 Lucky)
    3x3 Best Average: 37.91

WCA Profile
    2008HALL02

Quote Originally Posted by 4weeksAndImSub60 View Post
    Once I get the f2l in sub 20.. I'll move to OLL and PLL, then once I learn that... I'm gonna jump to multi-slotting and hopefully get sub20 alltogether
    You won't need multislotting or even full OLL to reach sub-20. In my experience those two will just shave small fractions off your time. Not to mention that many top cubers don't use multislotting frequently and its probably hard to get really good at.