• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DNF_Cuber

How do you all perform the inserts for the following cases at THIS SPECIFIC ANGLE, with green facing you? In all eight of the situations shown the F2L pair is connected and the white sticker is directly above the slot the pair goes into. Let's pretend these aren't all last slot scenarios; I am looking for good/common ways to insert the pair into left and back slots.

Case 1&2 - Front right slot
Case 3&4 - Front left slot
Case 5 &6 - Back left slot
Case 7&8 - Back right slot

Cases 1,3,5,7 can all easily be inserted without rotating. How would you handle the insert for cases 2,4,6,8? Rotations? Hedge at various angles? Something else?

It seems to me there are 2 fundamental cases an F2L pair can be in once connected and having the ability to execute those inserts from all 4 angles would be useful. Thanks,

View attachment 14388
to do misoriented pairs to the back I do f R' f' and mirror.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 2 and 4, I would use U' F' U F and U F U' F' respectively. For 6 and 8, I use U' f' L f and U f R' f'.
Wow. These are great inserts of 6 & 8. I've never seen that before. Which fingers do you typically use for the front moves in 2 & 4? That has always felt so unnatural to me but I think Ii may be a finger trick/ability I need to learn.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Wow. These are great inserts of 6 & 8. I've never seen that before. Which fingers do you typically use for the front moves in 2 & 4? That has always felt so unnatural to me but I think Ii may be a finger trick/ability I need to learn.
For both F moves, I push down with my right index, and for both F’ moves, I push up with my thumb. Other people might do other ways, but that’s what I find most comfortable.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you all perform the inserts for the following cases at THIS SPECIFIC ANGLE, with green facing you? In all eight of the situations shown the F2L pair is connected and the white sticker is directly above the slot the pair goes into. Let's pretend these aren't all last slot scenarios; I am looking for good/common ways to insert the pair into left and back slots.

Cases 1,3,5,7 can all easily be inserted without rotating. How would you handle the insert for cases 2,4,6,8? Rotations? Hedge at various angles? Something else?

It seems to me there are 2 fundamental cases an F2L pair can be in once connected and having the ability to execute those inserts from all 4 angles would be useful. Thanks,

View attachment 14388
2) U' F' U F
4) U F U' F'
6) U' f' L f
8) U f R' f'

Hedges from the back:
Back left: f U' f' L
Back right: f' U f R'

Sledges from the back:
Back right: R f' U' f
Back left: r' U r B' (totally worth it as B' can be done from homegrip)

Can anyone give me an alg for the case where both the corner and edge are stuck in last slot twisted/flipped?

Last edited:

xyzzy

View attachment 14388
1/3/5/7 are obvious.

Bold = regripless and no weird fingertricks.

2:
F' U F
F R' F' R
F' r' F r F = F' L' U L F
R B U B' R'

4:
F U' F'
F' L F L' = F' r U r'
F R U' R' F'
r' U' F' U r = L' B' U' B L

6:
y R' U R
B r' U' r
B' R' U R B
L F U F' L'

8:
y R U R'
x' U' R U l'
f U R' U' f'
R' F' U' F R

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
1/3/5/7 are obvious.
Agreed. Thanks for providing multiple solutions for the even cases!

@BenChristman1 @DNF_Cuber @Cubing Forever, how are you executing the f R' f' and mirror for back slots? I can't seem to find a finger trick solution that's comfortable. Are you starting with a regrip, homegrip, what's the scoop? Thanks!

Last edited:

Bl4nk5

I need help with F2L. When I am doing F2L, I have to spend a few second(s) to look around the cube to find the pieces necessary for the pair. I don't see other people doing it.
Is there some secret-underground technique or does it just come with experience?

SenorJuan

You not only have to find a pair, you have to work out which of the 4 slots they need to be placed in, and at a more advanced level, be aware of which empty/unsolved slots are available to use, then you can work out if you need to rotate the cube ( y or y' typically ) to execute the solution. There's many hundreds of possibilities, so it's no surprise it takes several seconds to decide what to do. And LOTS of practice is needed to get this time down, and even more practice will allow some/all of this decision-making to occur while you are still solving the previous pair.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lot of F2L cases are evolving as hardware keeps becoming finer. I also do a lot of wide r and l turns in F2L and also S move inserts sometimes.

There are lot of fingertricks possible in F2L, lots of creativity possible, U M' R' S R2 U' S2 U S r' U'.