• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

martinba314

There are so many F2L algorithms out there that it's overwhelming. Would it be enough to just learn all of the algorithms shown in JPerm's F2L Tricks series?

Also, besides look-ahead, what's the main thing that separates the F2L of someone that is say, sub-8, from someone else?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are so many F2L algorithms out there that it's overwhelming. Would it be enough to just learn all of the algorithms shown in JPerm's F2L Tricks series?

Also, besides look-ahead, what's the main thing that separates the F2L of someone that is say, sub-8, from someone else?
I wouldn't learn ALL the algs in J perm's f2l tricks videos. I would just learn some that significantly reduce moves and/or rotations while still being finger trick friendly that you think would actually make a difference in your time if you got that case. As for the second question, I'm personally sub 9, and I would say the top three things I do in f2l that might differ from someone around 15-20 seconds is 1. Lookahead 2. Planning first f2l pair in inspection 3. minimizing regrips in f2l. This can be done by flicking or pushing U moves with your left hand like in OH so that your thumbs stay on the front of the cube as much as possible. Some fingertricks to consider for minimizing regrips are the left hand U, the left hand U2', and the right hand U'. Also make sure your doing right hand U2's on lefty f2l solutions but not righty f2l solutions.

I'm currently having problems with F2L. Main problems is that I'm wasting moves and I'm not pairing quick enough. My range for F2L( because it changes from time to time) is from 20 to 40. HELP!!!!:mad:
Btw How to do do look ahead?

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Watch J perms videos about F2L, make sure that you aren't doing 2 rotations to solve any pair, and f you do learn an alg for it that uses 1 or 0 rotations. Also any case that you hate and you think takes you forever try to learn a new alg for it.

To look ahead you need to have all of your F2L cases drilled pretty well. You need to be able to look at an F2L pair for 1 second or less and be able to solve it blindfolded. But instead of putting on a blindfold you look at the other pieces on the cube to try to see what your next pair will be.

Also, how long have you been using CFOP?

Watch J perms videos about F2L, make sure that you aren't doing 2 rotations to solve any pair, and f you do learn an alg for it that uses 1 or 0 rotations. Also any case that you hate and you think takes you forever try to learn a new alg for it.

To look ahead you need to have all of your F2L cases drilled pretty well. You need to be able to look at an F2L pair for 1 second or less and be able to solve it blindfolded. But instead of putting on a blindfold you look at the other pieces on the cube to try to see what your next pair will be.

Also, how long have you been using CFOP?
For around 1 or 2 week. Though I've improved and I gotten to 1 min.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a general suggestion that I think you should take now. I usually suggest starting off being color neutral, but if you're already having trouble with F2L you should be color neutral now so you don't have to go through that again.
Yes you should become color neutral RIGHT NOW.

For around 1 or 2 week. Though I've improved and I gotten to 1 min.

Improving takes time, It usually takes several months to fully get the hang of F2L, depending on how much you practice.