• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changing thread titles. - i figured it out - go to advanced edit.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering, how do you change a thread title?
Is it possible?

Just say, you misspelt a word, or wanted to change the title of a thread.
Or, if you're clumsy like me, you accidentally submit a thread before your title is fully written.

I think it would be a good idea.

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering, how do you change a thread title?
Is it possible?

Just say, you misspelt a word, or wanted to change the title of a thread.
Or, if you're clumsy like me, you accidentally submit a thread before your title is fully written.

I think it would be a good idea.

yeah, this would be very helpful for the BST section on updating what you have :)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The reason that I don't allow thread titles to be changed anywhere on the forum is due to people changing them after making a topic and discussing it. It can really mislead people. It is similar to the reason we don't allow people to change their usernames. I used to run a different forum and we allowed thread titles to be changed, and it got out of hand. As far as the buy/sell/trade section, if you want to list another item, create a new thread. It makes it that much easier for people to see what you're selling.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The reason that I don't allow thread titles to be changed anywhere on the forum is due to people changing them after making a topic and discussing it. It can really mislead people. It is similar to the reason we don't allow people to change their usernames. I used to run a different forum and we allowed thread titles to be changed, and it got out of hand. As far as the buy/sell/trade section, if you want to list another item, create a new thread. It makes it that much easier for people to see what you're selling.

I think he was referring to changing it when a trade is complete and adding '-complete' or something to the end of the title.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

I think he was referring to changing it when a trade is complete and adding '-complete' or something to the end of the title.
I think the easiest way to note when something is complete or sold is to have the seller reply, and then a moderator can edit the title with "Sold" in it. This way we can see keep titles under control, and mark threads. If this doesn't work out, then we can enable title editing.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the easiest way to note when something is complete or sold is to have the seller reply, and then a moderator can edit the title with "Sold" in it. This way we can see keep titles under control, and mark threads. If this doesn't work out, then we can enable title editing.
Is it it possible to allow title editing, but only for a detail?
"Topic" could only be chanced to "Topic - [update goes here]".

Also note that for a brief period after you post, you can edit the title. If you see a spelling error in the title, that's a good time to fix it. :)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Is it it possible to allow title editing, but only for a detail?
"Topic" could only be chanced to "Topic - [update goes here]".
Surely it is possible (almost anything is possible), but my guess would be that it would be difficult to create. And I don't see an advantage to that anyway.

Also note that for a brief period after you post, you can edit the title. If you see a spelling error in the title, that's a good time to fix it. :)
Correct. This is a good time to edit. There is no way to mislead someone since the edit is only open for a short period of time.

GerrySly

pjk said:
Surely it is possible (almost anything is possible), but my guess would be that it would be difficult to create. And I don't see an advantage to that anyway.
Maybe we could try using a plugin such as this, for the B/S/T area, and have tags such as Trade, Buy, Sell, then something like Filled or Completed which users can edit when they have finished their transaction or are taking there item off the market

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
pjk said:
Maybe we could try using a plugin such as this, for the B/S/T area, and have tags such as Trade, Buy, Sell, then something like Filled or Completed which users can edit when they have finished their transaction or are taking there item off the market
The mod you linked to I don't see any benefit to. Do we want pre-set titles?

Creating a form that a user can fill out and edit may be useful though. I will look into some mods for that. The BST forum will take time to grow, so we have to time experiment with the current setup.

Please mention any further suggestions you have.

GerrySly

pjk said:
The mod you linked to I don't see any benefit to. Do we want pre-set titles?

Creating a form that a user can fill out and edit may be useful though. I will look into some mods for that. The BST forum will take time to grow, so we have to time experiment with the current setup.

Please mention any further suggestions you have.
The plugin isn't preset titles, it's thread prefixes (hence the plugin being called 'Thread Prefixes') and it allows you to append a title before each thread such as Buy, Sell and Trade, then once somebody is finished with their thread (i.e. the deal is done or they no longer want to sell, buy or trade) then they could just change the thread prefix to [Done] or [Completed] etc.