• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing in Melbourne

RhysC

WCA
2014CAMP02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone hope you're all doing well. I've noticed that the attendance of recent Aussie comps has skyrocketed, yet this forum looks less active than I remember it... in 2013. Do meetups still happen in Melbourne? How do Aussie cubers even communicate these days? Facebook?

Meetups still happen! Especially in Melbourne Central as always. I just think a lot of the cubers who used to meet up a lot are in year12/uni so not as many people do them anymore

People still use this thread to organise them.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone hope you're all doing well. I've noticed that the attendance of recent Aussie comps has skyrocketed, yet this forum looks less active than I remember it... in 2013. Do meetups still happen in Melbourne? How do Aussie cubers even communicate these days? Facebook?
There's an Oceanic bld group chat on Facebook. We'd be keen to add you if you want to join.
As a non-Australian that's all I've got.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yep comps kinda replaced meetups. That, and the people who used to go to meetups are all grown up now. There are so so many young kids at competitions, but at one stage, we were those young kids. :) Cubing is still as fun as ever though!

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Zane me boy. Meetups stopped happening when people like you stopped coming :p . The old crew never got replaced, and these new kids are spoiled with competitions, so I guess there's no motivation to have meetups anymore.

CARDISTRY

Hey Melbourne Cubers !

We are running an epic show as part of the Melbourne Magic Festival at Northcote town hall called CARDISTRY CUBED. Cardistry are the Australian Junior Champions of Magic.

If your interested in Speed Cubing, Cardistry (playing card skillZ) and magic, CARDISTRY have combined all 3 for an epic show. If you think the latest spout of world record solving robot machines are impressive, you've not seen anything yet.

Show details and tickets are below, tickets are flying out the door. Discounts for groups.

http://melbournemagicfestival.com/speaker/cardistry-show/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1722680428000403/

CARDISTRY2016_Poster_WEB.jpg

EthanS

WCA
2015STEV03
Would a big Skype chat work? I don't have Skype but I've heard that 25 people can be in one call, more people could make it as well because you don't have to travel. It's not the same as meet ups but it would still be a great way to communicate with all of the Australian cubing community

Last edited:
Do people here still do meetups? I just got my first speedcube and would like to chat to others about how I can get into speedsolving :)

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmm can't find a Speedcubing in Australia thread so this will have to do.
Just informing the friendly people of Australia of another (lol) cube store. It is Based in NZ with very good shipping rates to Australia and also all prices are in NZD so your money goes further due to the exchange rate e.g Moyu Weilong GTS is $21NZD = $20 AUD.
The shipping rates to aus are better for bigger orders.
Check it out Cubes4Kiwis.co.nz

speed.talent

Hi Melbourne Rubik's Cube people. We are looking to shoot a video within the next couple of weeks and need someone who can solve a Rubik's Cube rapidly. You would be required for a half day shoot at a studio in Melbourne. Pay would be $200 for approximately 4 hours. Please email [email protected] if you are interested.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Bit of a necropost in this old thread, but it's the only place I know of for this.

I'm moving house and looking to give away basically everything other than a 3x3, 5x5, Pyraminx and Skewb.

I have a tub of puzzles that are mostly outdated speedcubing wise, but perfectly suitable if just starting out. How best should I go about giving these away, is there a Facebook page? Can give details on the mystery tub on request.

peterkip

Hey Tim, Feliks at a recent comp sold a tub of puzzles for a few bucks each and donated the proceeds to charity

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Cheers Peter. Signed up for the comp at St Kevins, so if I get past the waiting listing I'll bring the puzzles along, could do the same thing as Feliks but giving the proceeds (if worthwhile) to Speedcubing Australia.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
^Don't feel like you need to give it away, I did that because I received most of the puzzles for free.

I thought I should also flag that I'll be bringing another entire box of puzzles to sell at SKC Spring - the proceeds will go to Speedcubing Australia. If you come along, feel free to put them in that box. Most of the stuff I'm bringing along is only 1 or 2 years old, but is already very outdated :p

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
^Don't feel like you need to give it away, I did that because I received most of the puzzles for free.

I thought I should also flag that I'll be bringing another entire box of puzzles to sell at SKC Spring - the proceeds will go to Speedcubing Australia. If you come along, feel free to put them in that box. Most of the stuff I'm bringing along is only 1 or 2 years old, but is already very outdated :p

I think it'd be almost unfair to sell V-cubes, F2 and A5 3x3s, etc.

There's probably 3 more recent generations of every puzzle in this tub, and I'd care more about someone enjoying them than them sitting in storage unused/unsold.

I also might come to the St Kevins comp even if I don't get past the waiting list - just for the "nostalgia" from my year 4-6.