Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about My Silicone Spray

Yeah Liquid Wrench isn't the best to lube with. Go for CRC.

YouTube
    pcwizcube

All silicone lubricant sprays have petroleum distillates. If they didn't have that ingredient, it wouldn't be a spray.

Yes, Liquid Wrench is not a good cube lubricant. It smells horrible and it needs to be re-applied frequently. Not recommended.
    Last edited by PCwizCube; 09-23-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanwuq View Post
    CRC is just amazing. But I recommend no lube until you are sub-30 at least (if using store or type A cube [others are unusable without CRC]), that way, you can improve look ahead.
    What a completely arbitrary and ridiculous recommendation. Sure, using tighter and more difficult to turn cubes makes you appreciate the good equipment more, but to arbitrarily say that you must be sub 30 before you should lubricate your cube? I've seen others say the same thing about DIY cubes: "Don't get one until you are sub-X".

I've been cubing for 8 months now, quite heavily, and I'm not sub 30 yet. I might *never* get to that level. Do you realize just how few people are able to do that?

I'm annoyed by this constant talk of "don't do X until you are as fast as Y." Perhaps I should change my annoyance to amusement. These recommendations really are laughable.

Brian.

WCA Profile
    2009JOHN07
    YouTube
    rjohnson8ball

Wait a minute... Liquid Wrench makes many different products. What most people might be thinking of is the penetrating liquid which would obviously kill a cube. But they also make a semi-pure silicone spray too, safe for plastics. Is this what people are referring to?
    http://www.gunk.com/prod_photo.asp?img=LG_M914.jpg
    as opposed to others on http://www.gunk.com/menu_NP.asp ?
    Last edited by rjohnson_8ball; 09-24-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fixed link to Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray photo, changed "pure" to semi-pure

YouTube
    pcwizcube

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson_8ball View Post
    But they also make a pure silicone spray too, safe for plastics.
    Pure silicone spray doesn't exist. I just said that in my other post that silicone spray can't exist without petroleum distallates. Did you read?

Pure silicone is solid. Silicone lubricant spray has many different ingredients that are not silicone - just look at the ingredients at the back of the can!

WCA Profile
    2008FANW01
    YouTube
    fanwuq

Quote Originally Posted by blgentry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanwuq View Post
    CRC is just amazing. But I recommend no lube until you are sub-30 at least (if using store or type A cube [others are unusable without CRC]), that way, you can improve look ahead.
    What a completely arbitrary and ridiculous recommendation. Sure, using tighter and more difficult to turn cubes makes you appreciate the good equipment more, but to arbitrarily say that you must be sub 30 before you should lubricate your cube? I've seen others say the same thing about DIY cubes: "Don't get one until you are sub-X".

I've been cubing for 8 months now, quite heavily, and I'm not sub 30 yet. I might *never* get to that level. Do you realize just how few people are able to do that?

I'm annoyed by this constant talk of "don't do X until you are as fast as Y." Perhaps I should change my annoyance to amusement. These recommendations really are laughable.

Brian.
    True, I generally also dislike these comments. But I dislike the other comments about lubing even more. Lubing is not that important. But seriously, anyone can sub-30 with really low turning speeds without really trying. I easily reached sub-30 with crappy cube and no lube. How bad was the cube? 4 seconds H perm, and that was my fastest PLL. (as opposed to 1.5 that I can get on a good cube nowadays.)
    That corresponds to about 2tps. That's not that hard. In fact, I was doing 2 tps same speed during every step.
    I used to solve computer cubes slowly. Best averages of 12: 2x2x2: 4.155 3x3x3: 14.74 Squat: 415 Bench: 275 Deadlift: 465

WCA Profile
    2009JOHN07
    YouTube
    rjohnson8ball

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik's Cube Fan View Post
    But they also make a pure silicone spray too, safe for plastics.
    Pure silicone spray doesn't exist. I just said that in my other post that silicone spray can't exist without petroleum distallates. Did you read?

Pure silicone is solid. Silicone lubricant spray has many different ingredients that are not silicone - just look at the ingredients at the back of the can!
    Yes I did read your post. But the way people are trying to say Liquid Wrench is worse than CRC made me create my post. I was wondering if people know what they are referring to. The link I gave was incomplete. Here is the Silicone spray made by that company:
    Liquid Wrench also makes products designed to dissolve rust (such as its Penetrating Oil), which will destroy a cube. I think that is their more popular product, and some readers may be trying to compare the Penetrating Oil with CRC, which are totally different.

I did not mean to imply it was totally pure, but rather that it might not be as bad as some silicone sprays, and certainly not as bad as other Liquid Wrench products -- because it says it is "safe for plastics". I edited my post to say "semi-pure".
    Last edited by rjohnson_8ball; 09-24-2008 at 01:35 PM.

WCA Profile
    2008FANW01
    YouTube
    fanwuq

Here is the Silicone spray made by that company:
    Liquid Wrench also makes products designed to dissolve rust (such as its Penetrating Oil), which will destroy a cube. I think that is their more popular product, and some readers may be trying to compare the Penetrating Oil with CRC, which are totally different.
    Yeah, that's the stuff I have. It either didn't effect cube, broke it, or made it slower for me. So it sucks.
    I used to solve computer cubes slowly. Best averages of 12: 2x2x2: 4.155 3x3x3: 14.74 Squat: 415 Bench: 275 Deadlift: 465

So CRC silicone has no bad smell? or minor compared to liquid wrench? Also, i have the kind that rjohnson said in his first link and its still bad.

YouTube
    vulosityhd

CRC has a horrible smell, but is odorless when dried.
    Goal: sub 1:30 on 5x5