• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
PDF Version of this Guide - March 23, 2013

Welcome! This thread will be a guide to help you get faster at solving the Rubik’s Cube using the popular Fridrich/CFOP method. Please read this thread and do some forum searching prior to asking questions about becoming faster.

First off, the most important factor is practice. No matter what method you use, or how many algorithms you know, you need to practice a lot to progress. With practice, you will be able to turn the cube faster, recognize cases ore quickly, and just in general gain a better understanding of the cube. You can even get sub 20 averages with a beginner’s method - but only if you practice a lot. No other factor is more important. So if you’re getting stuck, chances are you aren’t practicing enough!

Of course, we want to know to know how to practice to find the most efficient way to improve. Here are some basics steps to help you get faster. You do not have to follow these steps, as they are only meant to guide you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1
Current Average: 1:30+ or don't know how to solve a Rubik's Cube
Goal Average: 1:00-1:19

Learn how to solve the cube from here: Badmephisto's Youtube Video Tutorial He teaches you a simplified version of CFOP that will help you easily progress later on.
NOTE: It is possible to achieve below one minute with this method, just by practicing. If you are still stuck, follow these tips:
  • Get a better cube. Cubes like the Dayan ZhanChi and Dayan GuHong v2 are great – they allow for effortless turning and corner cutting. Lubricate your cube too – a decent method is using silicone spray, but using silicone oil is better.
  • Use finger tricks (this will speed up your times A LOT). You can become better at finger tricks by practicing.
  • Decrease your last layer time (to about 25 seconds or less) - you can do this by improving your recognition and execution for each case (to do this you must practice)
  • Try to reduce pauses, meaning, try to never stop turning during your solve. This can be done by practicing a lot!
  • Work on the cross. Try to do the cross in 12 moves or less, and under 12 seconds. Here is a link that will help you achieve/learn this (and then practice it a lot): http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/cross.php
  • Practice - The more you practice, the faster you'll become
  • Once you get a little used to the beginner method, you can also try inserting the first layer/side corners from different angles. See Macky's guide: http://cubefreak.net/speed/cfop/f2l_extensions.php
  • Use a timer to see your progression: You can use web based timers or PC timers.
Estimated Time: 2-4 weeks

Step 2
Current Average: 1:00-1:19
Goal Average: 40-49 seconds

Learning 4 Look Last Layer (4LLL). This means solving the last layer in 4 steps – consisting of Orienting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look OLL), and Permuting the Last Layer in 2 steps (2 Look PLL).

2 Look OLL
  • Edge Orientation - 3 algorithms (technically 2)
  • Corner Orientation - 7 algorithms
2 Look PLL
  • Corner Permutation - 2 Algorithms Aa/Ab and E/V/Y/Na/Nb
  • Edge Permutation - 4 algorithms - Ua, Ub, Z, H
Here are some links explaining how to use the 4LLL (2 Look OLL + 2 Look PLL) algorithms for your last layer:

Step 3
Current Average: 40-49 seconds
Goal Average: 30-39 seconds

• Now learn intuitive First Two Layers (F2L).
  • Your times will temporarily worsen, but after a few days of practicing, they will significantly become better!
  • Practice your F2L A LOT, and never give up!

Step 4
Current Average: 30-39 seconds
Goal Average: 20-29 seconds

• Now, learn the rest of the PLL algorithms. Full PLL is 21 Algorithms (you have already learned 7 algorithms for 2-Look PLL) (Links where to learn the algorithms are at the bottom of this guide).
  • Learn how to look ahead during F2L - this will TREMENDOUSLY help your times. Looking ahead is one of the most important aspects of improving.
Estimated Time: 2-6 weeks

Step 5
Current Average: 20-29 seconds
Goal Average: 15-19 seconds

• Practice your F2L, learn/make up your own techniques, and possibly learn some of the algorithms for odd cases. (Links where to learn the F2L algorithms are at the bottom of this guide) Also, remember to look ahead (this is EXTREMELY important)! Try to complete your cross and F2L in 12 seconds or less on average.
  • Work on improving your speed for your OLLs and PLLs. Use triggers, and try to get all of the algorithms under 3 seconds for recognition and execution.
  • Get your cross below 4 seconds consistently (make sure you solve the cross on the bottom of the cube.)

Estimated Time: 1-2 months

Step 6
Current Average: Sub 20 Seconds
Goal Average: Below 15 seconds

• Get your cross and F2L done in under 10 seconds
  • Get your cross done in ~2 seconds on average
  • Learn how to do Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • Learn the rest of the OLL algorithms - 57 algorithms (Note that learning the OLLs will only help you by 2 second or less)
  • To learn/memorize the OLL's easier look at Badmephisto's video
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: 4+ months

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 7 (written by PoHos1)
Current Average: Below 15 Seconds
Goal Average: Sub10 or around 10

• Practice a lot f2l try to allways see first pair in f2l (inspection time)
  • Get your cross done in about 1.5 seconds
  • Practice yours Extended Cross (x-cross)
  • learn all pll and oll about 1.5 seconds like your cross
  • (also you can learn COLL if you want some time can help )
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: its only on you (at least 6 mounts)

F2L Algorithms:
OLL Algorithms:
PLL Algorithms:
You should print out your OLLs/PLLs so you can learn them and use them at any time. Keep in mind that you should choose the algorithms that best suit you. Just because one person is fast with an algorithm doesn't mean you will be fast with the same algorithm.

**The information provided in this thread was contributed by members in this post**

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Proof I've been playing too much gow2, right as I went to the homepage I saw this thread first and thought it said how to get faster AT EXECUTION

your question can be broken down into two, how to get faster at specific sequences of moves, and how to lower your overall TPS for a solve. For the first I'd suggest trying to learn new fingertricks. I know my speed increased when I started using stuff like U2 turns with both index and middle fingers and F' turns with the thumb. If a move sequence seems awkward or somewhat long, try to find a new way to execute it.

As for overall turns per second for a solve, i know it sounds cliche, but slow down and look ahead. Slow your solves down so much that you have enough time to look at what youre going to do next before you start doing it. Its easier to get the look ahead down then go fast with it rather than going fast while trying to diminish your pauses. Also trying to limit cube rotations will help with overall tps, look for ways to insert f2l slots without rotating the cube first.

And of course, turning speed will increase over time with familiarity and practice.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I watched that crazy guy who still uses LBL and average 17 second's video, after that, my execution instantly got faster. I think part of it is a psychological reason. He also uses type C, so it made me more confident about type C cubes.

Hepheron

Yeah find out finger tricks that help you move it more easily

You should probably have a good cube, though it wont pop

Try to perfect them so they wont jam, and work on smoothness and flow

Fusty

When I cracked down on my executing efficiency I shed the most time by reducing time inbetween moves. I would solve the cube as slowly as I had to in order to never pause inbetween moves. I would do this until every solve felt like one big finger trick. I would slowly go faster and faster until I am where I am today, stagnating, and not learning my pll's.....

KubeKid73

Hmm. From what you just said, I can think of 2 ways. Learn all the olls and then practice all the lls.