• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hexadecimal

How to practice 2 Look OLL/PLL?

Hey everyone. I've been learning the Fridrich (CFOP) Method. After learning the F2L intuitive I've moved on to 2 Look OLL/PLLs. I've heard people say that you should just train one specific algorithm over and over again until you memorize it, then move on to the next one.

Here's my problem: How do I train one specific algorithm over and over again on my Rubik's Cube? In other words, how do I set up my Rubik's Cube in the 2 Look PLL or 2 Look OLL position I need in order to execute the same algorithm.

I want to just repeatedly set up the same OLL/PLL position and execute the algorithm over and over again to memorize it, but don't know how to do this.

Right now I'm using these following resources for my algorithms:
http://www.cubewhiz.com/2lookpll.php
http://www.cubewhiz.com/2lookoll.php

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D , this has been bugging me for some time now.

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi and welcome to the forums! :)

You can actually practise your OLLs/PLLs by doing them backwards on a solved cube (basically the INVERSE of the alg, thanks pi.cubed :p) Then it will be set-up to the case you're currently learning. For example for the alg R U R' U' R' F R2 U R' U' F', do F U R U' R2 F' R U R U' R' on a solved cube. Then you will see the exact same oll case. If not, you can also use this method- just keep doing the specific alg that you want to learn, and eventually you'll get to the case, and do it one last time to solve the cube.

Doing a PLL only once often sets it up to itself (if you get what I'm trying to say), but it doesn't work that way for all PLLs.

Or- just solve. You'd have to do lots of solves for this, but it's worth it anyway, you're practising cross, F2L and LL at one go.

Last possible solution: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PC_Software

These are case trainers. For your case, I would recommend Zarxrax's case trainer. It's the last one under trainers. Basically you enter your alg, and they provide you with scrambles to set up to that particular case.

Have fun and good luck! :) Hope I helped.

Last edited:

pi.cubed

You can actually practise your OLLs/PLLs by doing them backwards on a solved cube.
To OP, it is just related to the above quote: Doing an alg backwards is also known as doing the inverse of the algorithm. You can read more about inverses and about how to do them here.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

Hexadecimal

Thank you for the quick replies, they were very helpful and answered my question, I appreciate it :D . I know this is sort of off-topic, but I have another question that maybe someone could answer.

My question: I was practicing 2 Look OLL/PLL. After I completed the 2 Look OLL algorithm I came across what I believe to be known as a T perm. I couldn't find a 2 look PLL algorithm to solve this T perm position. I'm confused because I thought you could solve the cube by learning the 2 Look PLL algorithms, but after using the 2 Look OLL algorithm I ended up with a T perm position that could not be solved with any of the seven 2 look PLL algorithms. Any thoughts?

An additional thought I just had: Can you practice the 2 Look OLLs algorithms by doing them over and over again on a solved cube and it will eventually end up solved again? Can you also just do the inverse of a 2 Look OLL algorithm on a solved cube in order to set up the position? I understand how you can use this method to practice PLLs, but it seems countered intuitive that you can use this method on OLLs since you have to do a PLL after an OLL algorithm to arrive at a solved cube. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Last edited:

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the quick replies, they were very helpful and answered my question, I appreciate it :D . I know this is sort of off-topic, but I have another question that maybe someone could answer.

My question: I was practicing 2 Look OLL/PLL. After I completed the 2 Look OLL algorithm I came across what I believe to be known as a T perm. I couldn't find a 2 look PLL algorithm to solve this T perm position. I'm confused because I thought you could solve the cube by learning the 2 Look PLL algorithms, but after using the 2 Look OLL algorithm I ended up with a T perm position that could not be solved with any of the seven 2 look PLL algorithms. Any thoughts?

T-perm can in fact be solved with 2-look algs. You just need to do an edge permutation (EPLL) or corner permutation (CPLL) twice. Doing the U-perm when you get an opposite edge single swap will give you another U-perm. Try it! If you don't understand just ask again.

An additional thought I just had: Can you practice the 2 Look OLLs algorithms by doing them over and over again on a solved cube and it will eventually end up solved again? Can you also just do the inverse of a 2 Look OLL algorithm on a solved cube in order to set up the position? I understand how you can use this method to practice PLLs, but it seems countered intuitive that you can use this method on OLLs since you have to do a PLL after an OLL algorithm to arrive at a solved cube. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Yes, it works for generally all algs. Also yes. Counter-intuitive.* And also, for PLL, you don't have to do the inverse of the algorithm normally, you can just do the alg itself, for most cases you'll get the exact same case (the same alg.) Only perms like the G-perms/A-perms/U-perms (basically 3-cycle based perms) you have to do the counterclockwise alg to get the CLOCKWISE case. K essentially, to practise PLL, do the exact alg (once or twice or thrice at most) and you will get the PLL case. To practise OLL, do the OLL alg over and over again/do the inverse. If you do the inverse, and recognise the case and execute the alg you learnt, you will solve the entire cube, including PLL. But that doesn't matter, since all you want is to practise/learn your OLL cases.

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah yes I see how this can be confusing, for the T-perm it appears that two corners are solved, so you aren't sure how do a corner alg as they cycle 3 corners? But if you turn the face around you can get it so that only one of the corners is solved and the other three need cycled... The trick to doing the Corners in 2-look PLL is to look for 'headlights' which is two corners of the same colour on the same face. I just set up a T-perm and turned it so that the headlights were on the right hand face and did the Ab perm from the page you linked and that solved the corners.

OLL's cycle in the same way that PLL's do, only they usually take more turns before they returns back to their starting position. For example Sune (R U R' U) (R U2 R') takes 6 repeats before it goes back to the start (it messes up the orientation in the same way that it messes up the positions so that when you get back to the start everything is in it's correct place).
Alternatively some of the OLLs set up opposite cases... like if you do Sune on a solved cube, then you have just set up the Anti-sune case ( (R U2) (R' U' R U' R') ).
Hmm, you know there are a couple of algs on that page that seem quite old and uncommon.
Case 24 ( (Lw' U') (L U) (R U') (Rw' F) ) is more common to have the unoriented corners on the left hand side and do the mirror: (Rw U R' U') (Rw' F R F'). That's the sexy move (R U R' U') and SledgeHammer (R' F R F') but with wide turns at the start of each. Those are both very common moves in a lot of algs.
And for Case 25 ( (R' F) (R B') (R' F') (R B) ) if you do a U turn so that there is an unsolved corner in the bottom right and it's yellow (or whatever your top colour is) sticker is on the front face then this is a common/good alg: F' (Rw U R' U') (Rw' F R) Notice that's almost exactly the same as the last alg but with the F' at the start instead of the end.
The rest of the algs look fine.

Good luck

Last edited:

deathmaths11

WCA
2012HEHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why l am not getting faster?

My friend says l can get sub 40 with the skills l have now. I can improve my f2l by not doing extra moves or turns. I can solve my cross faster by doing least amount of moves possible. Yes, it's true l can get under 40secs when l follow them.

THE PROBLEM IS, there will be times l do extra moves or turns and solving my cross with more moves than needed. I heard you can solve the cross using 7-10, l normally have more than that but sometimes l can go in a range of 7-10 if l am doing it correctly which requires more practice. BUT I don't realize if l am doing an extra turn or move if my friend looks at it and when l do it, he will tell me or else l won't notice.

THE QUESTION I NEED TO ASK YOU IS, how can l not do any extra moves or turns on f2l?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
THE QUESTION I NEED TO ASK YOU IS, how can l not do any extra moves or turns on f2l?

Do super slow solves and think about each insert you're doing. Does it take a lot of turns? are you doing more than one rotation per pair? If you think you're doing a case in a slow and messy manner then check out solutions online, or ask here.

deathmaths11

WCA
2012HEHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only good cuber is my friend, but he sometimes think l am annoying and won't help me much....

Do super slow solves and think about each insert you're doing. Does it take a lot of turns? are you doing more than one rotation per pair? If you think you're doing a case in a slow and messy manner then check out solutions online, or ask here.

I don't get it, my f2l is intuitive so what do you mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

cerbr

Is my way to learn good?

Hello my friends,

After reaching Sub 25 for F2L, I want to learn PLL, then 2 LOOK OLL.
Is it good?
Am I doing a mistake?

I am not doing look-ahead, cause I'm planning to do it once I learn the LL.

(By this way, I'm just learning the Fridich then Improve it with look ahead, 1 look OLL)

deathmaths11

WCA
2012HEHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have a good cuber listen to you talk your way through a solve and let them make recommendations while you solve. You'll realize where you are screwing up with your cross & F2L.

That is true but it's not gonna help much...

Hello my friends,

After reaching Sub 25 for F2L, I want to learn PLL, then 2 LOOK OLL.
Is it good?
Am I doing a mistake?

I am not doing look-ahead, cause I'm planning to do it once I learn the LL.

(By this way, I'm just learning the Fridich then Improve it with look ahead, 1 look OLL)

For my l already doing CFOP almost half already and only got sub 45-50.

Last edited by a moderator:

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Hmm, you know there are a couple of algs on that page that seem quite old and uncommon.
Case 24 ( (Lw' U') (L U) (R U') (Rw' F) ) is more common to have the unoriented corners on the left hand side and do the mirror: (Rw U R' U') (Rw' F R F'). That's the sexy move (R U R' U') and SledgeHammer (R' F R F') but with wide turns at the start of each.

Thanks for this, I actually do the "old" alg, but I've been trying to mirror the 2-look OLLs and hadn't made it as far as looking at this one yet. It's pretty close to the "T" OLL 33 too: (R U R' U') (R' F R F') so by making a wide turn at the start of each sequence that's a free OLL for me.
Cheers!

eblip

HELP....I need advice on practice method. f2l algs or intuitive

i am learning F2L ...and i have been doing it intuitively and am really quite slow....now i have found a site with lots of algorithms ...
problem is all the algs..are based on placing the piece over the slot into which it is to be paired and placed
my problem is i am now confused as to what method to practice...as i have tried solving using algorithms for about 12 hours...over 2 days...and i can only remember 2 of them...
is this normal...
plus my head feels like exploding...
i want to do what is best ...any advice for how long to practice. and should i use algs or intuitive...
remember i am new to solving the cube and just want to make sure ..that in the long run ...i did learned the cube the best way in order to become super fast.

aznanimedude

my thought process when i first started doing F2L was that i didn't do it algorithm-wise, i just played around and did intuitive

my reasoning was that i felt it would overall be faster in execution since i would intuitively know what to do rather than look and try to recognize the case then recall the algorithm.

the advice usually is "learn f2l intuitively, then later on when you're more comfortable with it, learn algorithms for weird cases you feel you don't do fast enough"

it'll take awhile to get f2l down and at a fast enough pace, certainly more than 2 days

TheNoob

YouTube
Visit Channel
Need Help Memorizing 2-look OLL & PLL

I cannot remember them as i see them online. i try to but it isint working well. how doi memorize them faster?