• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Center Cap pops

chiperten

I bought one of the clear plastic DIY cubes from that chinese ebay seller. It is extremely smooth and fast but I get a ton of pops. I had a few questions.. first what do you guys use to hold the center caps in on your cubes? My yellow center cap pops so much and it's annoying.

Also does anyone know if clear plastic is allowed in competition. I've read that it might give an advantage but honestly I can't see through very well at all and I think trying to use the transparency to see the stickers on the other side would slow me down. If transparent cubes are a problem, I will probably buy a white DIY from the seller because this cube rocks.

tenderchkn

Transparent cubes are not legal for competition.

Take out the cap, put a piece of paper the size of the square over the screw, and jam the cap back in. That will hold it in place.

KJiptner

WCA
2007JIPT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by tenderchkn@Jan 24 2007, 08:20 PM
Take out the cap, put a piece of paper the size of the square over the screw, and jam the cap back in. That will hold it in place.
I can confirm that. My center caps are also fixed with this method. It works great and allows you to still tune the cube without any problems. It's better than glueing the caps in.

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Always the same center caps fall off (even with a paper square)

That's kinda annoying...

on my Rubik's DIY, the red and green center caps fall really often...and just those 2...the others just stay in place nicely...

I had I problem with this in Worlds...the first 4 solves in first round were nice...then, before my last one, they called me because the red center cap fell...so I got the paper square, turned it upside-down and put the center cap back...just after, they called me again and asked if I had another cube :)

I changed the paper square like 10 times but they still can't stay...

I probably never changed the other paper squares...or just 1 time, maybe...

does that happen to someone else? any ideas to fix it?

I could never get paper to work for mine.
I switched to a tiny roll of duct tape.

They still fall off every now and then (around every 4 days), but it isn't as bad as it was when I used paper.

Sin-H

WCA
2007HUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend to use a bit of adhesive foil/tape. You can still get the caps off if you want to. You just have to use a knife to get into the gap.

P.S. The caps really don't pop on DIY type-As from Cube4you.

Stingray970

Center caps popping off Zhanchi

Today I was solving my Zhanchi in the hallway of my school absentmindedly. When I arrived at my class, I noticed that the orange center cap had gone missing. Naturally I was quite distraught about this, but I couldn't leave class to find it.

Luckily, a friend of mine found it and returned it to me. It gave me quite the scare!

I don't want something like this to happen again.

I like my tensions the way they are right now, and I don't think I'd find a reason to change them for a long time. Since I don't think I'll be needing to adjust the tensions, I don't need to pop off the center caps.

I want to superglue the caps onto my Zhanchi.
- Would the tensions loosen/tighten themselves over time such that I would need to readjust?
- I lubed my core (and the washers + the other inner mechanisms) with Lubix. Would I ever need to relube my core? If so, how soon?
- If I needed to do the above, how difficult would it be to then take off the caps?
- Is there some other way to prevent the caps from popping off?

MethicSkull

look up center cap mod on youtube. help fix my center cap problem

you can stick paper under the cap when you put the cap on youtubeand rip off the remains

Last edited:

mati1242

-Gluing center caps is kinda weird or stupid. I mean it depends on what type of glue you use but most of the time you will have a lot of troubles to get CenterCap of, or you could propably break it.
-Yes I think you will need to relube your core. I don't know how soon but it will be necessary.
-Maybe the tensions won't loosen/tighten by themselves but what if you want to retension your cube or lube it again as I said before ?
-I think the easiest way to fix this is to put a little piece of paper in between cap and center-piece.

I don't have that problem with My ZhanChi, but if I have i would go with the pieces of paper- it's fast and effective.

Last edited:

applemobile

I put a small piece of electrical tape on the tag of the center piece and cut off the excess. Rarely come off unless I drop it from a height.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
PAPER MOD!

Heres what you do:

1. Go find some paper (Any kind works (I prefer loose leaf))
2. Remove all the pieces from your cube
3. Remove 1 center cap and stick the paper over the piece. Then proceed to put the cap back on. Make sure it's tight.
4. When the cap is tight and in place, start to rip off all the paper you can see.
5. Enjoy responsibly

Worked for, should work for anyone else.

If this managed to fail, GuHong caps don't come out but they do stick out a little.