• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Problems with redirection

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
Hello pjk, I'm having a problem. Sometimes, When I click a thread to go to it, I go into a loop. I'll show a picture

Speedsolving.comloop.PNG

do you know if it's anything to do with the server?? I cleared my cookies, but I it still came up with this.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What link are you going to when you get this error?

I've setup redirects for speedsolving.com, speedsolving.com/index.php, and speedsolving.com/index.html, and all of them are working fine for me.

Notice the URL in the pic you posted, it is 'speedsolving.com//forum/forum', which is a little odd to have that come up. It seems as if both redirect are having affect at the same time. Let me know what you did to get there so I can reproduce the error.

Thanks.

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
I know it's odd, I tried about 10 minutes after I cleared my cookies and it works now :) and I was visiting the off topic thread "Erno Rubik's Birthday" and it tried to load for a minute, then came up with this error.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Sometimes when I try to go to speedsolving.com the automatic redirect kicks in and appends a '//blahblah/forum' to the end of the URL, resulting in that error. I delete the mess at the end of the URL and try again and then it works.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The homepage will be up soon. Check the announcements forum for updates.

Shelley, I'm wondering why that is happening, and I want to find out for future reference. What OS, browser, and version are you using?

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
I also realized that when I just type in "speedsolving.com" the browser redirects and come up with this link
"http://www.speedsolving.com//home/patjk/public_html/speedsolving/forum"

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Ah, the server is recognizing cookies differently depending on whether 'www.' is in the URL. I can fix that with this:
Code:
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^speedsolving\.com
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.speedsolving.com/$1 [R=permanent,L]

mrCage

Hi:)

I prefer to code redirects with a script language. Not to set it up with the hosting control panel (or similar).

Having www.moved.page and moved.page take me to different pages is extremely confusing to say the least.

- Per

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Per, doing it via .htaccess is so much easier and efficient.

Having a www affecting a page is certainly confusing, but the server doesn't always recognize things the same way as expected, so we have to create ways around it.

mrCage

Per, doing it via .htaccess is so much easier and efficient.

Having a www affecting a page is certainly confusing, but the server doesn't always recognize things the same way as expected, so we have to create ways around it.

Hi, sorry to bump a dying thread. I use .htaccess mostly for 2 things. Setting up mime-types the way i want it. And indeed also for access control when i need something very simple. For redirects i do much prefer to have a real page doing the redirection. If this for some reason is not possible it can be done in .htaccess yes. Note that not all sites use apache with .htaccess fully enabled.

- Per

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
That is very true. With the redirection that I setup, I used pages to redirect, instead of .htaccess. However, the server is recognizing cookies differently depending on whether 'www.' is in the URL. I fixed that with .htaccess.