• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Megaminx Beginner's Solution

***IMPROVED VERSION (V1.1) AVAILABLE******ONLY 4mb WITH PICTURES***

Edit: Sorry about the all-caps. I reduced the jpg compression to 65% which REALLY helped :) I also took some suggestions and corrected bits :D

On getting the Megaminx (from eBay, the www-puzl-co-uk) , I instinctively did the first sides until I got stuck on the last. After some thought I managed to sovle it, which made me very happy. I looked at some solution pages and couldn't find my method; so I decided to type it up. Enjoy!

Here's some various download links:

V1.1 PDF (4mb): http://91.85.195.15/Other/Cube-related Files/How to Solve A Megaminx V1.1.pdf

PDF, w/pictures (~22mb): http://91.85.195.15/Other/Cube-related Files/How to Solve A Megaminx.pdf
Word Document w/pics (~10mb): http://91.85.195.15/Other/Cube-related Files/How to Solve a Megaminx.doc
PDF, no pics (~80kb!): http://91.85.195.15/Other/Cube-related Files/Megminx solution with no picutres.pdf

Due to complaints, there are alternate versions for people with varying amounts of time/hard drive space. Thx for reading/contributions/dl'ing anyway!
Download the 80kb version if in doubt, lol.

Last edited:

hawkmp4

JESUS.
Its a 22MB download. I was going to take a look but...that's a bit excessive. I know next to nothing about PDFs but I'm guessing you can make it a bit smaller.

sjoerdtheone

I scanned the document and came upon this:
Orientation: getting the bits in the right place
Permutation: getting the bits the right way around

Those two terms were swapped ... It's on the bottom of the first page.
Also, on other pages of the document, the terms were swapped.

Or is it standard to swap these two terms on the megaminx ? :p

whoops... sorry guys =/
I'll upload the word document and I could supply a far smaller version with no pictures.

hawkmp4

Case #2 of edge orientation is impossible, it has 3 edges flipped.
The names of step 10 and 11 are switched.

And may I suggest, with the pictures, maybe outlining the pieces you're talking about with a bright color? I can solve a megaminx already obviously, so I know what you're talking about, but it could be very confusing for someone just starting to learn.

Whoops. I'm afraid to say this isn't a particularly correct solution - feel free to edit the word document and spread it around. Just keep me in there somewhere! Thanks for the help anyway.

And may I suggest, with the pictures, maybe outlining the pieces you're talking about with a bright color? I can solve a megaminx already obviously, so I know what you're talking about, but it could be very confusing for someone just starting to learn.

Sorry again, I didn't think of that because I kinda made this solution and knew what I meatn and forgot to add it =/. I would also like to add that this method is not very fast (though it did win me a £50 bet!)

Thieflordz5

WCA
2009PAPP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I came up with a solution of my own that uses almost the exact same algs as a 3x3x3 but I do a full OLL before a full PLL (not that I actually learned full OLL, I do 2 look (at least 2 look for PLL depending on the case) for OLL and PLL...) Each solve takes me ~15 minutes (really slow F11L or w/e you call it)
For PLL, I go corners (using the same T perm/J perm) and for edges, clockwise/counter clockwise (ccw with the left hand) and a random one...

Thieflordz5

WCA
2009PAPP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Whoops. I'm afraid to say this isn't a particularly correct solution - feel free to edit the word document and spread it around. Just keep me in there somewhere! Thanks for the help anyway.

Sorry again, I didn't think of that because I kinda made this solution and knew what I meatn and forgot to add it =/. I would also like to add that this method is not very fast (though it did win me a £50 bet!)

Don't worry, you I read over your PDF and I don't think there are (too) many errors, Due to cube theory (well... I guess this would be dodecahedron theory...) you HAVE to have an even number of edges flipped, it's impossible to have a single edge flipped, so since the Megaminx has 5 edges on it, you can only have 1, 3, or 5 edges flipped correctly so you are right in that aspect.

WCA
2009ROAC01
pretty good... i solved it almost the exact same way when i first got my megaminx, but on the last layer corners, its easier to put two in the right place next to each other and then put one at you front and one at your left. then repeatedly do U R U2' L' U2 R' U2' L