• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When were you first able to track your first pair in inspection most of the time?

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I'm sub-14 and I sometimes (although not often) don't even plan the entire cross. But I usually plan just the cross, and maybe the pair, but only if the cross is very easy.

I also still can't fully plan the cross occasionally. If there aren't any edges attatched to the centers I just panic and fail the solve :(

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also still can't fully plan the cross occasionally. If there aren't any edges attatched to the centers I just panic and fail the solve :(
Trying to solve them all so that a D move solves the cross is useful if none of the edges are attached to their centres, because it isn't important where the centres are for that. But if I get a really hard cross, I'll usually ignore one of the edges and just plan three of them. I'll try to track the fourth as I solve the cross, but usually that fails :p

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Title says it all. I'm sub-15 and still can't do that unless the pair is trivially easy.
I'm only a bit slower than you, and I usually don't do the pair either, but I find that I can more often than I think. I have this perpetual fear of running out of inspection time, and it makes me afraid to look too long on every solve I ever do. If I didn't have to worry about DNFing by overinspecting, and didn't only use 5 seconds of inspection time because of that, I bet I could find cross +1 in 15 seconds at least half the time. On the occasional solve where I'm like "I have 10 seconds left, let's find a pair" I find that it's easier than I think.

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
At sub-13 I am getting better at it. When I do predict the first pair with discipline (which is the hard part!) I solve a lot more easily at the top of my range. Without predicting the first pair, I average the normal 13s.

I started being able to see the pair regularly in inspection around 14s.

brian724080

Rarely, but whenever I do, my times are always sub-15. I average around 15 seconds right now.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I can't be bothered. If I press the 15s I can probably do it > 90% but it's annoying. Might try next comp but when I do 50+ solves it's too straining to do every solve, combined with my awful short term memory

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
The last two weeks I see the pair 80% of the times. I also went from 60% of solves being 18-24 secs to 16-21 secs just from better look ahead.
I do still have low tps however.

And I only know what pair I am starting with. I rarely have a plan on how to build and insert. Just where the pair will be roughly(Always where corner is and sometimes where edges will be).

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I typically track a corner and in the last few moves of the cross try to locate it's edge. Really close to sub 15 with what most people describe as 'Why do you turn so slow?'.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont track anything. I just see the cross pieces and make a cross solution and viola, that is my use of inspection time.
And I have a huge delay in f2l and one of the reasons why I cant improve my f2l to sub 8 in solves :(

Rubiksfreak

Tracking is quite easy actually. All you're doing is keeping track of the pair while executing the cross. Solving the first pair while executing the cross is a different sorry.

gj matt

WCA
2015HARN01
I still dont track my pairs in inspection, I think it wastes time trying to preserve the pair... I typically look ahead when I have the cross solution for my first pair. My F2L is pretty sloppy though so im not the best person to get advice from lel