• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lawrence, Kansas competition

If you live with in 5 hours of Kansas City would you come to a competition (if able)

• yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • no

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
To answer some of your questions biscuit, I would have loved to announce it earlier, but the delegate was a little busy, so it took a little while for him to get back to me at times. I first emailed the delegate on August 16th.

Even though 5 people said the date was bad, its 5 people, not 20+ people.

It's too early to already know a definite date for a second competition (assuming there IS a second competition), though I would like to hope that it would be in late March-early May. I didn't choose November 1st as the date, it was just the only time the delegate could come. I will say that the events I would choose would be a little bit less common (e.g. 5BLD, 7x7, feet, etc.)

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok thanks! While you are right that only 5 people said they could not come because of the date you got 6 people to sign up in one day... If you keep getting that many people a day you would have 35 in 5 days (and you still have a bit after that)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok thanks! While you are right that only 5 people said they could not come because of the date you got 6 people to sign up in one day... If you keep getting that many people a day you would have 35 in 5 days (and you still have a bit after that)
I know that you are a little bit annoyed about the date, I kind've am too, but chill out. It wasn't even up to shadowkiller, it was up to Kit.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To answer some of your questions biscuit, I would have loved to announce it earlier, but the delegate was a little busy, so it took a little while for him to get back to me at times. I first emailed the delegate on August 16th.

Even though 5 people said the date was bad, its 5 people, not 20+ people.

It's too early to already know a definite date for a second competition (assuming there IS a second competition), though I would like to hope that it would be in late March-early May. I didn't choose November 1st as the date, it was just the only time the delegate could come. I will say that the events I would choose would be a little bit less common (e.g. 5BLD, 7x7, feet, etc.)

Yeah, competition planning isn't easy. It's also hard for me to plan competitions when I don't know what my school/teaching schedule is -- hence why it took until September before we really started to plan.

But yeah, sorry to those who can't make the date, but it's going to always be bad for someone.

Would it be at all possible to add 7x7? Because Oklahoma has 7x7, and I have to choose between this one and that one.

Doubtful -- the schedule itself is already going to be pretty tight as is. We tried to stick to simpler puzzles since this is the first competition in this area in a long time.

Last edited:

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know that you are a little bit annoyed about the date, I kind've am too, but chill out. It wasn't even up to shadowkiller, it was up to Kit.

I didn't mean to come across that way... I was just saying that I don't think he should have any problem getting 35 people

EDIT: Although you are right that I wish it was a different date

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm hopefully going to come to this. I live in Kansas, 45 mins from Lawrence. It's cool to see a competition our state. Also I need an excuse to get back into cubing.

danchoi955

Did not see this thread, but I'm happy to hear that there's a bit of a discussion. I definitely have two kids going, I just signed them up. I want to thank shadowkiller168 for hosting, kudos. I wanted to host one in KC but no delegates ever called me back; probably because I'm an unknown. My kids have been to two competitions and they are definitely exciting. If I can help spread the word I will...also, anyone in the KC area that's interested in getting together and practice before the comp? Maybe a couple of hours on Sunday evening? I'm too old but one of my kids is really interested.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
anyone in the KC area that's interested in getting together and practice before the comp? Maybe a couple of hours on Sunday evening? I'm too old but one of my kids is really interested.

I would... But Sunday does not work. (plus I can't be going this year... hopefully it will happen again)

Last edited:

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wanted to add that I'd be up for this too. Iirc there was a meetup planned at Oak Park mall a while ago, I didn't go to it, but something like that would be cool. From my experience cube meetups are really awesome.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah Id love to have a meet up... If any one has stack mats + timers we could do a unofficial comp... oak park is a pretty good place. Or town center plaza (the Starbucks in Barnes and nobles might work)