• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ultra Cubing

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm proposing to start a new category of cubing called "UltraCubing". Really, this category already exists but I feel like it could help to gather these ideas into one sub-category. Where this idea stems from is the idea of ultra running, which is running distances greater than that of a standard marathon (26.2 miles). Traditionally, running in events that are sub-ultra distance you focus on speed, but ultra distances, which may include speed records, do not have speed as the primary objective, they have distance. Similarly, ultra-cubing would be the idea of events where speed, or "speedsolving", isn't necessarily the main objective. Instead, ultra cubing would be a category of cubing in which competitors solve puzzles under extreme conditions, in mass amounts, or during long periods of time. Below is a list of events that would fall under this category:

Extreme
1) Solving while skydiving
3x3 single: Dan Knight - 20 seconds?
4x4 single: NONE
5x5 single: NONE
2) Solving while underwater
3x3 single: Anthony Brooks - 8.xx seconds
4x4 single: Kevin Hays - 52 seconds
5x5 single: Erik Akkersdijk - 1:40
6x6 single:
7x7 single:
3x3 (most cubes): Gabriel Dechichi - 8

3) Solving while running
Treadmill 8 mph
3x3 single:
4x4 single:
5x5 single:
Treadmill 10 mph
3x3 single:
4x4 single:
5x5 single:
Treadmill--PRE Challenge: sub-x at x-mph
Phillip Espinoza -11.98 seconds at 12mph

Most while running half-marathon
Most while running full marathon
Most while running 50 miler
Most while running 100 miler

4) Solving while wakeboarding/surfing

Endurance/Time
5) Multi-BLD (no time limit)
Maskow - 95/100

6) 24-hour marathon solving
3x3: Eric Limeback - 5,800
7) 48-hour marathon solving
8) Multi-day solving

Amount
9) 100 puzzles
10) 500 puzzles
11) 1,000 puzzles
12) 5,000 puzzles
13) 10,000 puzzles

Real-Man's Average:
3x3 of 100: ??
3x3 of 500: ??
3x3 of 1,000: ??

I think there would be more events that could fall into the category of ultra cubing, so I was wondering if you could help think of ideas (without getting too carried away/obscure ie. chopsticks while holding breath BLD underwater). What do you all think of this idea being a distinct category under which cubers can hold Ultra Cubing World Records (UCWR's)? It doesn't have to be official, I'm not proposing for WCA recognition, just community recognition. Thoughts?

Last edited:

tomatotrucks

WCA
2014SPEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Didn't Eric Limeback get the WR for most cubes in 24 hours with like 5000 cubes? And Kevin Hays did 3 cubes underwater, it's on YouTube somewhere.

Also, solving while surfing sounds awesome. How about solving while driving? (how about no)

A Leman

I used to run ultra distance quite a bit and I don't think that I could ever compare cubing or even MBLD to it. If you can solve a cube, then you can solve them all day and the competition of a 48 hour marathon would focus on the ability to control sleep deprivation, not cubing. MBLD is much of the same thing. If you have enough locations, then you can keep memorizing and reviewing all day and it can actually be a lot of fun!

The difference between that and ultra distance is that you do not have to worry about if or when your body will break down. There comes a point when the workload of long runs add up and you can "bonk" at the least opportune moments. I have had enough memories of trying to run an extra mile until I end up sitting under a tree for an hour to get back the energy to walk home. The people that actually succeed at ultra distance deserve massive respect in my opinion, but they usually don't need credit since it's such a personal sport and they're self-driven.

Last edited:

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heres a quote from an ultra runner I know: "Ultra running is 60% psychological, and the other 40% is in your head." I think this describes ultra running really well haha. It really comes down to this special type of focus that's different from the same type of focus used for things like reading or writing or other acedemics.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks everyone for the information, the results have been updated, feel free to tell me more if you know details and/or have links to records that are still empty.

Btw Maskow's 95/100 is ABSOLUTELY INSANE. And I feel like that's still an understatement.

14) in the open space?

Zero gravity environment you mean? Do you have a record for this?

EDIT: Just saw this from Kevin Hays earlier this year. It's a 2-4 relay underwater. That's interesting. I wonder if this could count for 4x4 UWWR? He needs to do 5x5 underwater.

Last edited:
T

TheGrayCuber

Could someone even do a 7x7 underwater???? is that possible?