• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Time to get sub-20 AVG?

TomTom

How long did it take YOU to reach sub-20? Also, what are some tips you have to anyone who isn't sub 20? Also, i'm making this in a new thread instead of the "One Answer" thread for the fact that i want people who are about 20 AVG to be able to come here and find things that will help them.

Last edited:

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
I'm not average sub-20 yet. But I guess some tips are to average 25-30 using Fridrich F2L. Then learn full pll.

Again. I don't really know. I would rather focus on other stuff, like BLD or Memory Sports then learn full pll. It's not that important to me to get sub-20.

NooberCuber

It took me 4 months to get sub 20 from around 1:00 when i started speedsolving
Now, 5 moths later, I'm averaging around 13.5 secs

As for tips
I would say just practice practice practice
I didn't really start looking at learning look ahead or anything "advanced" until I was sub 20
I just did tons of solves.
Maybe look at learning full OLL. While not mandatory for sub 20 or even sub 15,
it's definitely worth learning.
I will it make learning algs a lot easier in the future.
For instance, I wanted to learn a new G(c) perm
and I was able to learn it in 5 minutes.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me a full 6 years to get sub-20; with intermittent spurts of interest of course. But hey, I made it! Now I'm almost sub-17. What's interesting is that I wasn't sub 20 until the beginning of this summer, when I picked up my cube and somehow dropped 2 seconds after maybe a year of not cubing really at all.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
It took me about 2 months to get my 1st sub 20 single and 4 to get a sub 20 avg12. I am very very very close to globally averaging sub 20. How to get sub 20? Practice, look ahead and spam tps on LL.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me about four months to get to low 20s, then I stopped cubing for a few months, and I stayed around 21-22. I got my ShuangRen about 9 months after I started and that immediately brought my times down to sub-20. My old ZhanChi wasn't very good...

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me 4 months to get sub 20 from around 1:00 when i started speedsolving
Now, 5 moths later, I'm averaging around 13.5 secs

As for tips
I would say just practice practice practice
I didn't really start looking at learning look ahead or anything "advanced" until I was sub 20
I just did tons of solves.
Maybe look at learning full OLL. While not mandatory for sub 20 or even sub 15,
it's definitely worth learning.
I will it make learning algs a lot easier in the future.
For instance, I wanted to learn a new G(c) perm
and I was able to learn it in 5 minutes.
Dafuq how do you drop from 20 to 13.5 in a month

TomTom

for anyone wondering about what i have been looking like, i got my first speedcube on august 4th, the fangshi, about 3 weeks ago i bought the aolong v2, and since i got the fangshi, my times are down to half(i was above a minute, im now around 30 seconds avg, 25 on a good day, in a month, so im hoping by the end of the year to be sub-20

Marvin

I started 4 years ago and had a huge pause so it doesn't really count, but at the start of this summer I was at about 35 seconds, less than 3 months later I'm at ~18s.

PixelWizard

WCA
2014PETE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm very close to my first Sub-20 Avg of 100. I got my first Sub20 Ao12 after about 6 Months of cubing, my first Sub20 Ao5 after 5 Months and the first Sub20 Single after 3 to 4 Months!

After every step, I was really happy :D

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just out of curiosity is my progress normal fast or slow?
Should I be faster than what I am at 9 months?
9 months is about the same as how long it took me, and I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that's about normal, maybe a bit slow. Some people like Kennan and Feliks only took two months, whereas a couple of people I know have been cubing longer than me (2 years) but still average ~30. Everyone improves so differently that it's hard to define 'normal' improvement.