• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3x3 Beginners Method

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
personally, i never used that R' D' R algorithm for taking cross edges out of the second layer, although it is a useful trick.
however, you can reduce an algorithm. that R' D' R is really the same thing as R' D' R D. when i teach, i always teach the sexy move (or the upside down version) as the "sexy move" or "the universal algorithm" or something like that because it's used for so many things. so any time i can, i try to just say R' D' R D to make algs simpler. the extra D move is not necessary, BUT it makes it easier for beginners since it reduces algorithms.

and since this probably isn't a speedsolving tutorial, just a "solve a cube" tutorial, it's not really necessary to put the extra notes like "the D turn on the last repetition is unnecessary" or "put a yellow corner under the white corner". because for a beginner, if they accidentally put a white corner under the white corner, well they'll just do one extra step. no big deal. they won't have any idea that they messed it up LOL.
just keep in mind that you're not going for efficient solving, just efficient teaching.

that all being said, this tutorial was MUCH BETTER than before and honestly i would recommend it because it is super clear and you showed what was going on rather than assume your audience gets it already, which is perfect.
my first 2 paragraphs were just nitpicking, maybe you can use them to help with your next part but i think you did a good job :)

edit: the only thing that threw me off was "orientated" because imo "flipped" is easier to understand. anyway again, no biggie.

Last edited:

RMcDonald

YouTube
Visit Channel
@Smiles: Thank you for watching it again! I really appreciate the effort that you and everyone else has gone to with watching and commenting. I tried to make the video as simple as possible, but include some hints of ways to improve and speed up. Try and instill the speedcubing bug ;)

It is very gratifying to see how much you think my video has improved and as before, I will use your input to improve my future videos.

Regarding "orientated vs. flipped": I see where you're coming from, I'll keep that in mind for later videos.

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can I ask why beginner's method doesn't teach 2 look OLL and PLL? They're much more straightforward than what is currently taught as part of the beginner's method.
Because it's too many algs. As a beginner, you want to learn as little as possible - you need over 15 algs for 4lLL, and for a beginner that is a lot compared to 4.