• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

An Idea For This Site (Stickies on the Index Page)

GG

WCA
2013KELL01
I have not been using this site for that long, but it has come to my attention that on the home page (speedsolving.com/index) there are a lot of threads which effectively dominate that page, but sometimes not consistently.

What I am suggesting would be a good idea is like, "fixed" threads; which stay on /index permanently.
The threads I think would be good for this are;

The Accomplishment Thread,
The One Answer Question Thread,
Random Cubing Discussion

Of course I might be the only person who thinks this, so feel free to shoot me down,
But on the other hand others might believe this to be a good idea,
Blah blah blah.

-GG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 19792

Please do this. I am sick and tired of seeing Accomplishment Thread then when I click on it to see if it is actual accomplishment I just see someone getting a fifteen second solve when they average nine but they had a funny cross on orange and they wanted to try to be colour-neutral.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Please do this. I am sick and tired of seeing Accomplishment Thread then when I click on it to see if it is actual accomplishment I just see someone getting a fifteen second solve when they average nine but they had a funny cross on orange and they wanted to try to be colour-neutral.

Wouldn't this proposal do the opposite of what you want then?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I guess what you're saying is to sticky threads to the index/homepage? That's a good idea. It would make those threads (the ones you mentioned) much easier to get to, rather than finding their respective forum and clicking on that.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel

off topic: i used to do white cross only, but then i saw a red cross already done for me so i decided to solve it and got a last layer skip. :D

anyway yes i like this idea, i always glance into the popular threads as well but it can be hard to find them.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Would you prefer to have these removed from the homepage overall, or stickied/linked to on the homepage? Having them fixed would mean you would see them more often than you do now, because they would always be there.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How about instead of sticking certain threads, we let people sticky certain threads they want to keep track of to the index page, kind of like the subscribe function, but a little more subtle. I don't know if this would be possible, but it lets people choose what they want to see, because although things like the accomplishment thread and RCD are interesting for some people, others of us aren't as bothered with those, and personally always having to have them there would take up space for me to find more interesting threads while browsing around.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
How about instead of sticking certain threads, we let people sticky certain threads they want to keep track of to the index page, kind of like the subscribe function, but a little more subtle. I don't know if this would be possible, but it lets people choose what they want to see, because although things like the accomplishment thread and RCD are interesting for some people, others of us aren't as bothered with those, and personally always having to have them there would take up space for me to find more interesting threads while browsing around.

Yes. Good. Better idea. Agreed. Etc.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Completely agree with MaeLSTRoM
Though, if you just want to see some threads, you can bookmark them, or you can create a desktop icon/shortcut. Or you can have it stickied as your browser homepage.
If we sticky these threads on the home page then there will be less threads to look for and would take up useless space. I probably wont like to have some threads always stickied
Though that depends on community so let them decide :)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to be able to choose to sticky certain threads, you would surely also want to make certain threads not show up. Otherwise the OAQT would still be showing up all the time, even if you don't want to sticky it.