• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First 5BLD scramble (and first time to pick up a cube) since Sunday. New +-center comms + loosened cube + completely fresh memory =

5:48.62[2:29]

d2 U2 l D' B2 l B R2 F2 R D2 u2 R f' r f R' d2 r B u' L2 U' F D2 u F d' U' F D2 r' b' L2 b2 l2 d2 D2 F u2 d r f r' F2 U2 D' u' B' D' L' b D F2 d' f b F' u' L2 (so many solved centers...)

Memo was correct, executed corners and centers correctly, but in the rush I completely messed up a midge commutator. Some strange mess left at the end - could've been insaaane :(

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First 5BLD scramble (and first time to pick up a cube) since Sunday. New +-center comms + loosened cube + completely fresh memory =

5:48.62[2:29]

d2 U2 l D' B2 l B R2 F2 R D2 u2 R f' r f R' d2 r B u' L2 U' F D2 u F d' U' F D2 r' b' L2 b2 l2 d2 D2 F u2 d r f r' F2 U2 D' u' B' D' L' b D F2 d' f b F' u' L2 (so many solved centers...)

Memo was correct, executed corners and centers correctly, but in the rush I completely messed up a midge commutator. Some strange mess left at the end - could've been insaaane :(

y u so slow at noteigam

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
7x7 BLD: DNF

Third attempt

[49:20 memo, 1:26:43 total, 6 lob, 7 lob, 13 ix, 13 i+, 2 ox, 8 o+, 8 iw, 4 midges]

So many execution mistakes.

I don't want to double post, so I'll edit this in:

7x7 BLD: DNF

Fourth attempt

[42:20 memo, 1:16:53 total]

I have too many mistakes to count. I knew I had made an execution mistake at my third location. I tried to correct it, but I don't think I was right.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Second try: DNF [4:31:42.00, 2:39:xx memo].

Pretty scrambled, but it looks like I got a lot of it right, then messed it up. When I finished, it looked like I missed doing a D- somewhere at the end of wings or beginning of centers.

Dramatic improvement on time - over an hour faster on memo and a significant amount faster on execution too.

My solving order:
corners
middle edges
wings
corner centers
middle centers

Attachments

• DSC04862.jpg
    DSC04862.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC04863.jpg
    DSC04863.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 44

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Second try: DNF [4:31:42.00, 2:39:xx memo].

Pretty scrambled, but it looks like I got a lot of it right, then messed it up. When I finished, it looked like I missed doing a D- somewhere at the end of wings or beginning of centers.

Dramatic improvement on time - over an hour faster on memo and a significant amount faster on execution too.

My solving order:
corners
middle edges
wings
corner centers
middle centers

This is insane :) When you assigned letters to stickers, what do you do when you run out of single letters? i.e. what do you do after Z?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is insane :) When you assigned letters to stickers, what do you do when you run out of single letters? i.e. what do you do after Z?

Part of the reason it's so slow is that I (mostly) don't do that. I use a full image per piece, so it takes twice as much memory per piece as does a normal cube. It depends on the type of piece as to how I do it. For corners and middle edges, the first letter goes to the location of the whole piece; the second letter tells which orientation it is in that location. This is now how I'm doing all of megaminx (since these two pieces are essentially a megaminx). For corners, there are 3 possibilities for the second letter in a letter pair; for middle edges, there are just 2. Since that might mean reusing images too much, and I want to preserve a variety of images, I decided to add a trick: I store 4 images per location. To give the example of corners, with the first image, the second letter is either A B or C; with the second image, the second letter is either D E or F; with the third image, G H or I; with the fourth image, J K or L. That gives me variety in the images I have to memorize. It has an additional benefit of guaranteeing I know the order I memorized the images in a given location - it's essentially a checksum. And if I accidentally confuse two images that are too similar to each other (rarely happens to me these days, but there are still a few that get me sometimes), I can usually tell because the sequence of second letters is often broken. For middle edges, I actually do need 30 "letters" for the first letter; I use the digits 0 1 2 3 4 for the last 5 (I don't bother with Z); these are my edges on the top face.

For wings and centers, I have no choice - I have 60 separate pieces I have to account for. So I assigned a first letter to each of the 12 faces, and then assign the second letter of the image based on which of the 5 positions it takes on that face. Again I use the trick above: the second letter of the first piece in a location is either A B C D or E, the second letter of the second piece is F G H I or J, the third piece K L M N or O, the fourth piece P Q R S or T. Again I get the "checksum" to make sure I'm recalling correctly.

With all the built in checks, I'm pretty sure I had just about everything memorized correctly; I think it must have been primarily execution mistakes that killed me. That's typical of megaminx for me; I'm just hoping I can hit one good one somewhere in here. It'll take a fair amount of luck to not make ANY mistakes, I'm sure, but I do think I can do it.

5x5x5 BLD - DNF - 12:24.93 [5:45]

This can be much faster, i just memorized a BIT faster but still very secure. And execution wasnt fast, too. Its getting fun when i think about the room for improvement. 3 outer edges wrong because i switched red/blue and orange/blue in the execution.

Greetings, Dennis

Last edited:
WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is when it helps to be a strange person like me. English letters + greek letters + digits = 60, so one target per letter.

Rough calculations for one letter/target: megaminx memo is about 3 3x3s, master kilominx would be about 7 3x3s or a 6x6, gigaminx about 11 3x3s. I would not like trying gigaminx with about 22 3x3s worth of memo, about a 10x10. Estimations are little rough but whatever, they give an idea of the scale.

Hmm ... if I manage master kilominx blind before you get a gigaminx success I might contemplate trying gigaminx, but I'll need to find a method for +centers and midges that I'm comfortable with since right now I'm not keen on trying.

Idea for you: three corner positions take up 3 letters, 3^3 = 27 orientations which is doable since you can manage 30 edge positions, that's 4 letters = 2 images for 3 corners. You can do this for x-centres too. You get less of a saving for edges/wings/+centres since there are only 2^3 = 8 orientations, but it might be worth the effort.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How can you memo greek letters o_O
Make up words?

I posted about this a while ago. I don't know Greek, but I know the letters. I find ways of associating images with the letters (by shape, things they stand for in certain equations, just making random nonsense up then remembering it). Works not too badly actually. On cubes, English letters are edges/wings/+ centres, Greek letters are corners/x centres. Obliques are one each to help tell them apart. In multi/bigcubes I don't have to care about switching from edges to corners/going to the next cube/whatever, I can tell by the letters, so I can (and do) switch pieces mid-image with no problems.