• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Safe/unsafe WRs

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a thought earlier, and I thought I'd share it because I thought it would make for some good discussion...

If we define a 'safe' WR as one which very few people are likely to beat, how many of the current WRs do you think are safe, and which do you think is the most/least safe?

Personally, I think MBLD is the safest WR right now.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Other people have come close to 20 (21)
Nobody is close to Feliks on 555 avg, but he keeps breaking it himself. Does that mean it is safe or not?
If that is considered safe I think the 6.54 333 avg is the safest. Nobody else got close.
2x2x2 single is also mostly impossible to beat
3multiblind has been completely perfected by Marcin. He dominated but not only did he start to do more and quicker, he also got more accurate

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with FMC and multi BLD being safe, as well as 2x2 single, 4x4 single, skewb average, square-1 single, and megaminx single.
WRs I think are unsafe are pyraminx average (because Drew) and 4BLD.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I think it's going to take a long time before anyone but Maskow beats the MBLD WR.

If I could rank them, here would be my list

Safest:

MBLD
Skewb average
5x5 single
6x6 single
Megaminx single
3x3 average

Unsafe:
5BLD (mainly because Ollie is wicked fast at home)
4BLD (same as above)
2x2 average
3BLD mean

Also, I do think that FMC single is beatable, anyone can get lucky. Unless you're unlucky enough to get a distance-20 position for your scramble (which is pretty unlikely), there is a sub 20 solution for every scramble.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing I've learned from 8 years of cubing is that it is surprisingly hard to predict what's "safe" and what the "limits" for something are.

You can make some sensible observations, but I wouldn't bet on anything.

I do find it surprising is that Feliks is consistently so good at many things. After Matyas Kuti, I expected that every event will require a lot of specialization, and that the tops of the rankings would usually be close. (Sure, the WR would jump every now and then, but the top 10 times would mostly just inch down.) Erik's "basic speed" theory has proven more relevant instead.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Skewb safe? Really? I think the event is too new and will be broken again relatively soon...

3.15 is pretty tough, I think it's going to be lolscrambles from here on out if that's to be broken. I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been entered into the WCA database yet though, so if you're thinking about the 4.5x, I agree with you on that.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with FMC and multi BLD being safe, as well as 2x2 single, 4x4 single, skewb average, square-1 single, and megaminx single.
Yes I agree with most of these. Square-1 in particular. I think on most scrambles, even if you rehearse your solution enough, you probably couldn't get sub 7.
Same goes to 2x2x2 single.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel

Megaminx Single - If Yu Da Hyun gets a chance, she could break it.

As for safe records, do we define "safe" as safely set at their current score, or safe from someone other than the current holder to take it? Because Maskow is the only one who can beat his MBLD, and Feliks seems to be the only one who can take 3x3 average.

cubingallday

3x3 should be broken soon (Mats or Feliks..)
Felik's has already got close...corner twist :(

Last edited:

rybaby

WCA
2013PRZY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 should be broken soon (Mats or Feliks..)
Felik's has already got close...corner twist :(

I think quite a few people have potential to break 3x3x3 single. Considering single times can depend a lot on luck, if a sub 9 cuber gets a good F2L then some skip the solve could be a 5. Feliks is probably most likely to break it, but imo Alex and Bill, too.