• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

World Championship 2015 - São Paulo, Brazil - July 17-19, 2015

cubernya

Premium Member
What is the reason for choosing São Paulo? It seems like very few people will show up (as is confirmed by comments). Obviously South Americans would, but that's about it.

WCA
2011JARD01
It has WORLD in the name, so i think it should not stay only in few continents... I live in São Paulo, Brazil. The city of the competition, and i really think it's going to be amazing, it's a chance to the rubik's cube become more famous in Brazil... I think you guys should give us a try :D. I'm so excited to this comp!!

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing that really disappoints me about the cubing community is extreme selfishness. Many people seem to push for things that help their own interests instead of looking at what's good for the community as a whole. This is seen in conversations about policy changes, and it's definitely seen in this conversation. It really shocks me that such smart people have so much trouble looking at the bigger picture and empathizing with others. It's really great that World's is headed to South America. It will be an awesome chance to expand into a completely different part of the world and expand the community there.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
There are 1145 Brazillian competitors
There were 241 Thailand competitors in the years up to 2011 when it was announced
So don't bother saying cubing isn't developed in Brazil.

It's been in Europe 3 times
It's been in North America 3 times
It's been in Asia 1 time

It's never been in Africa, Oceania or South America.

Stop complaining just because it isn't a domestic flight away...

Anyway NA->Brazil is only 9 or 10 hours by plane.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's been in Europe 3 times
It's been in North America 3 times
It's been in Asia 1 time

It's never been in Africa, Oceania or South America.
You have unintentionally made a good point here. Let's look at top 100 of the most competitive event (3x3x3 average):
Europe: 37 people
Asia: 34 people
North America: 26 people
Oceania: 2 people (Kirt's close, but no cigar, sorry)
South America: 1 person (he's from Brazil)
Africa: 0 people

So Worlds has always been on a continent with a lot of good cubers. In fact, looking at this list, I think we need another Asian competition - they have been sorely underrepresented. On a world scale, Oceania and South America are really not competitive at all (and Africa's not even on the radar, which is why I joked about them). There's Feliks, yes, but he's really way ahead of the curve as far as Oceanians go. What the bottom three continents need are not Worlds competitions, but more local competitions and more outreach to potential local cubers to get them interested and practicing.

If we want to look at "what's good for the community as a whole", as DeeDubb said, we should be holding Worlds in places that let as many good cubers as possible travel to the occasional one, even if they can't fly halfway across the world. Brazil actually makes it harder for top people to compete if they don't have the resources or money to fly that far. This isn't a personal argument as I am rather unlikely to attend Worlds no matter where it is. If you are a top 100 3x3x3 solver, and not Gabriel Dechichi Barbar, you WILL have to fly from your home country to a different continent to attend Worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
You have unintentionally made a good point here. Let's look at top 100 of the most competitive event (3x3x3 average):

Why is that useful? For example, the podium for World's 2013 was (by continent)

Oceania
Europe
Europe

Doesn't this mean USA was a bad choice for the hosting? Your point seems to be that we should be accommodating the top cubers? What does the top 100 have to do with that. The three people on the podium for both 2011 and 2013 (and probably further back) were in the top 10 in the world. If you check the top 10 numbers, there's only 1 competitor from North America. Top 100 is just filled with "good" cubers, not the podium chances.

And if you branch out of just 3x3 average, other events have several world class solvers from Asia/South America/Oceania (not really Africa at all)

2 of the top 10 for 3x3 with feet are Brazillian. 3 of the top 10 for 2x2 are Australian. 4 of the Pyraminx top 10 are Asian.

South America and Oceania are also expanding regions, and a World Championship helps a region expand. Australian Nationals last year had 50 competitors. With 2 weeks left our Nationals this year has 97 registered, nearly double.

South America has 2393 3x3 competitors at the moment. Until the start of last year they had 1883. Over 25% increase in competitors.

he goal of the World Cube Association is to have
more competitions in more countries with more people and more fun, under fair and equal conditions.

Hosting world champs in regions outside NA and Europe seems like a great way of (in the future) having more competitions in more countries with more people and more fun.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gotta admit, I agree with Tim on this one. Brazil/South America seems to have a thriving speedcubing community. Maybe it's too early to have worlds there, but I don't think it is undeserving.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 of the top 10 for 3x3 with feet are Brazillian.
South America has 2393 3x3 competitors at the moment. Until the start of last year they had 1883. Over 25% increase in competitors.
Hosting world champs in regions outside NA and Europe seems like a great way of (in the future) having more competitions in more countries with more people and more fun.
Your second argument here is that having the WC means you will increase the amount of competitors while you also prove that you don't need the WC for that at all.
Your first argument about feet ... seriously???

I agree that cubing should be more diversified and have travelled more than almost everyone else to go to competitions. What makes you think Brazil would organise a better WC than for example China, India, or Australia

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
What makes you think Brazil would organise a better WC than for example China, India, or Australia

I don't think Brazil would organise a better WC than China, India or Australia. NA and Europe would probably organise World's the best, considering they have had the most 3 days competitions and most, if not all of the staff would've organised or attended competitions with similar competitor numbers before. But as long as a country is capable of organising a 3 day competition with all events, I think they should be given the opportunity to host World's. (nevermind, as Daniel pointed out Brazil has actually had a lot of 3 day comps!)

I "proved" that a WC is not needed for growth in a country, but I suggested it would (usually) help. I think it'd be great if China, India or Australia also get WCs in the future, and hopefully 2017/2019/2021 isn't just held in NA/Europe.

I think the only way to address this is to ask, "What is the purpose of hosting a WC? What is the goal?"
If your answer is "get the maximum number of competitors" then sure, I don't recommend Brazil, and if that is what you think the purpose/goal of hosting a WC is, then you will not be swayed into thinking it should be hosted outside NA/Europe and the argument is done.

Last edited: