• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Moyu Elite Kilominx

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
lol, Moyu are branching into even more sections of speedcubing that not a lot of people know about. But they better come out with they're 6x6 first, otherwise I don't know what's going on with that company if they will put out a megaminx 6x6 before the normal 6x6.

Chrizz

I really wonder what they'll call this, because the current naming of minxes makes no sense at all. The megaminx is 3x3, the Gigaminx is 5x5 and the teraminx is 7x7 etc. Calling the 2x2 a kilominx is unlogical. A 1x1 would be a kilominx if you follow to pattern. If 2x2's will continue to be called kilominx, there is a problem, because 4x4 is often called master kilominx and 6x6 elite kilominx, using this kind of naming causes you to quickly run out of names.

What could be done is renaming a 1x1 to minx, 2x2 to decaminx, 3x3 to hectaminx, 4x4 to kilominx 5x5 to megaminx, 6x6 to gigaminx etc…

Another way could be: minx, biminx triminx quad(ra)minx pent(a)minx hex(a)minx sept(a)minx oct(a)minx etc.

The advantage of the first one is that it still is kinda similar to the current way of naming.
The advantage of the last one is that it makes a lot of sense, and there are names up to 21, so we'll probably not run out any time soon.
Here are some other ways to do it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeral_prefix

I do realize that renaming anything is very difficult to do, but I think we must try (or atleast come up with a structural name for the even layered minxes), because master and elite, are not in any structural sequence.

Last edited:

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
I really wonder what they'll call this, because the current naming of minxes makes no sense at all. The megaminx is 3x3, the Gigaminx is 5x5 and the teraminx is 7x7 etc. Calling the 2x2 a kilominx is unlogical.
The sequence makes perfect sense. You are forgetting about a little thing called time. If the puzzles were made in one day then of course they would be named in a different way. The Gigaminx was the next puzzle made and named after the Megaminx since few realised a 4x4 version could be made. When the 2x2 version was made however it made sense to call it Kilominx since it comes before the Megaminx. So you had different people using different logic at different times. Also it is not 100% certain that the even number minxes are truly part of the same series as the odd number. So once again you will have different people with different opinions. It's not like maths where there's an absolute truth.

Chrizz

The sequence makes perfect sense. You are forgetting about a little thing called time. If the puzzles were made in one day then of course they would be named in a different way. The Gigaminx was the next puzzle made and named after the Megaminx since few realised a 4x4 version could be made. When the 2x2 version was made however it made sense to call it Kilominx since it comes before the Megaminx. So you had different people using different logic at different times. Also it is not 100% certain that the even number minxes are truly part of the same series as the odd number. So once again you will have different people with different opinions. It's not like maths where there's an absolute truth.

True, and I guess it doesn't matter too much, I just think that some consistency (at least for the even number) would be nice. Renaming the odd numbered puzzles won't work, but renaming the even numbered puzzles might be possible as there are not many of them yet. In reality, even that probably won't happen, I guess you can always explain what you mean by just saying 6x6 minx, 7x7 minx, 8x8 minx etc.

Future Cuber

I really wonder what they'll call this, because the current naming of minxes makes no sense at all. The megaminx is 3x3, the Gigaminx is 5x5 and the teraminx is 7x7 etc. Calling the 2x2 a kilominx is unlogical. A 1x1 would be a kilominx if you follow to pattern. If 2x2's will continue to be called kilominx, there is a problem, because 4x4 is often called master kilominx and 6x6 elite kilominx, using this kind of naming causes you to quickly run out of names.

What could be done is renaming a 1x1 to minx, 2x2 to decaminx, 3x3 to hectaminx, 4x4 to kilominx 5x5 to megaminx, 6x6 to gigaminx etc…

Another way could be: minx, biminx triminx quad(ra)minx pent(a)minx hex(a)minx sept(a)minx oct(a)minx etc.

The advantage of the first one is that it still is kinda similar to the current way of naming.
The advantage of the last one is that it makes a lot of sense, and there are names up to 21, so we'll probably not run out any time soon.
Here are some other ways to do it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeral_prefix

I do realize that renaming anything is very difficult to do, but I think we must try (or atleast come up with a structural name for the even layered minxes), because master and elite, are not in any structural sequence.
Those are 2 dimensional figures...
The (mega,giga,tera)minxes are 3 dimensional figures

brian724080

Do they plan on making a 4x4 Megaminx? Might get that, because it will be much more practical to solve regularly