• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Aloha Fellow Cubers :)

Bryan Chia

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wassup Cubers!

I am a 18 year old cuber. Started cubing 5 years ago and then I stopped. Cubing interest came back this year and I'm more in 3x3. I never knew speedcubing exist, been using the beginners method and a lousy cube I got it for free, it’s very slow ever since I started cubing. Thanks to my friend that motivated me and got me into cubing again. which is GREAT !

I'm currently using Moyu Aolong v1 as my main and using CFOP method. I average 33s - 36s (yes, it's very slow) and got my PB few weeks ago, 19.88s which was a fluke but my goal is to sub-15, and if i can do better than that, of course i would wish I could sub-10.

My biggest problem is my F2L, it seems that I pause a lot and the way i pair up and insert is not the proper because sometimes I did it the beginners method (because I'm so used to it). I'm trying to learn look ahead but it seems that I can’t recognize/memorize the colours well yet, not sure if that is also one of my biggest problem and that is why I'm having trouble with F2L. I do understand people kept saying “practice, practice, practice” but I think the problem is that I don’t even know if I'm doing it right yet. So I am looking to get help from all you cubers and direct me the right way :) For the cross (white at the moment), I'm still learning to solve it facing down, it feels like my hand isn't doing it right, not that fluent. As for my OLL, I’m using 2-Look-OLL. I learnt all PLL recently, still practising and getting use to it.

Cross- 4-6s
F2l- 16-20s+
OLL- 4-7s
PLL- 4-7s

I've also uploaded some of my Ao5 solves on YouTube. (feel free to leave a comment!)
Here it is ---> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZel9JTml-j-ClsaXqVxmcidqmeg5PYAs

Hopefully I can get along with the members of this forum!

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome!
I couldn't help but notice in your most recent ao5 video, on the third solve you insert the green-orange pair in a really unusual way (you place the corner then the edge, no?)
For this case I would recommend using (R U R' U')*3 instead.

Getting out of the habit of using beginners method is difficult (I definitely struggled with it), but it's something you should invest in! Do untimed solves (so you don't have the dilemma of 'what can i do fastest' and autopilot into beginners mode), and force yourself not to use beginners method inserts. Experiment and try to find good, efficient F2L inserts. Watch videos and read F2L guides to find new tricks. Once you've done that for a while hit the timer again and force yourself again to solve not using beginners method inserts. You'll get the hang of it after a bunch of solves (don't be discouraged if your times increase - this is only temporary and you'll improve before long)

Hope this goes some way to helping you improve. :)

Bryan Chia

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know its cliché, but really the easiest and most efficient way to get good at F2L is to practice, slow down, and look ahead.

yea, that's what im doing now, trying to slow and and learn to look ahead. It's not that i can't look ahead but im not sure if im pairing and inserting it the right way.

Welcome!
I couldn't help but notice in your most recent ao5 video, on the third solve you insert the green-orange pair in a really unusual way (you place the corner then the edge, no?)
For this case I would recommend using (R U R' U')*3 instead.

Getting out of the habit of using beginners method is difficult (I definitely struggled with it), but it's something you should invest in! Do untimed solves (so you don't have the dilemma of 'what can i do fastest' and autopilot into beginners mode), and force yourself not to use beginners method inserts. Experiment and try to find good, efficient F2L inserts. Watch videos and read F2L guides to find new tricks. Once you've done that for a while hit the timer again and force yourself again to solve not using beginners method inserts. You'll get the hang of it after a bunch of solves (don't be discouraged if your times increase - this is only temporary and you'll improve before long)

Hope this goes some way to helping you improve. :)

YES exactly! I'm glad you notice that. Like I said before, sometimes when i see a corner piece, all I'm thinking in my mind is just to insert the corner piece first and then look for the middle piece (which is not ideal at all). I'm not sure if its because I haven't learn all 41 algs for F2L or I should learn intuitive. For intuitive, I don't know the way I'm doing it (like the way you see how I did it in the video) is right or wrong.
That's very encouraging and I'll definitely work on that !

I thought you were going to be Hawaiian...

sorry to crush your hope :p